China Stocks Plunge Into Bear Market | Latest (8/24): "Black Monday"

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ck-sales-by-major-shareholders-for-six-months
China Bans Stock Sales by Major Shareholders for Six Months

@Domingo Halliburton This has a bubble-popping crash written all over it. When they're banning big players from selling in order to prop up the falling equities market, that just screams red flag to me.

yeah it reeks of desperation.

it's been up the last two days. when you threaten sellers with jail time I guess that's the only way it can go :heh:

Midrash

All Star
Daps
This may be a stupid question but how does wealth disappear? Is someone lying on accounts or stealing money or siphoning it? I imagine all of those are true. Also could this affect the USA's debt to China? There have been rumblings on the Coli about China wanting to collect for over a month now

Pretty much this. :mjcry: Matthew McConaughey's monologue summed it up in 5 minutes.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
they threatened all the sellers so it's on a tear. I might buy in (as a short term speculative bet). China and the PBOC wont let this fail.

t

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
Safer assets like the Japanese yen ? :sadbabybreh:

Their debt gdp ratio alone is :nateholdon:

when they quote their debt in Yen it's hilarious. "Japan exceeds 1 quadrillion in debt."

I'd probably rather be in the Yen than any other Asian currency though. It really is considered a safe haven.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Five Charts Putting China's Stock Market Mayhem in Perspective
"Markets are allowed to operate on the way up, not on the way down"
by Malcolm Scott
July 13, 2015 — 12:18 PM EDT

488x-1.jpg

An investor looks at a board showing stock market movements at a securities company in Beijing on July 10, 2015.

Photographer: Greg Baker/AFP/Getty Images)

As the dust settles (for now at least) on China's frenzied boom-and-bust stock market, it's worth looking at the role equity markets play in the world's second-biggest economy.

As a share of gross domestic product, stocks just aren't as big a deal in China as they are in countries such as the U.S. or Japan, even after a run-up over the past year.

-1x-1.jpg

That should, in theory, mean China can shrug off the headline grabbing ructions more easily than the U.S. could.

-1x-1.jpg

A comparison with bank loans and debt is also instructive, showing China remains a deeply bank-dependent economy.

-1x-1.jpg

And when it comes to new funds raised, the real action this year is in the bond market, not equities, as a government-orchestrated provincial debt swap boosts that market.

-1x-1.jpg

Those charts help illustrate why policy makers were so keen on the equities uptrend while it lasted: It all played into the goal to let markets play a more "decisive" role. Yet when the market moved decisively, in swept the government response.

"The intervention signals the limits of Beijing's commitment to allow the market to play a decisive role," said Bloomberg Chief Asia Economist Tom Orlik. "Markets are allowed to operate on the way up, not on the way down."

To be sure, the stock market has still created a lot of value when viewed over 12 months.

-1x-1.jpg

What happens next on the stock market is key to China's reform drive. Stabilization would salvage efforts to deleverage and erode bank funding advantages for state-owned enterprises; a further plunge may put that and other reforms such as capital-account opening at risk.

"Direct finance through the stock market and bond market is critical to lowering the cost of credit and channeling funds to high potential enterprises, bypassing the political economy problems in the banking system," Orlik said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-china-s-stock-market-mayhem-in-perspective

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
@Domingo Halliburton, what's new here ? I haven't followed that event much. Is the thread title still effective ?

I didn't look at it yesterday because I was busy but its calmed down the last few days before that. The government intervened enough. Making people hold, pumping money in, and threatening short sellers. Maybe someone else could chime in and give a better update.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
yeah it reeks of desperation.

it's been up the last two days. when you threaten sellers with jail time I guess that's the only way it can go :heh:

china's gov't always steps in to try and dictate economic forces.

i remember when fuel was like $150 a barrell, and they were subsidizing it for everyone there while everyone else in the world was getting gouged.

if their stock market is fukked up, they need to leave it alone and allow market forces to correct it naturally.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
china's gov't always steps in to try and dictate economic forces.

i remember when fuel was like $150 a barrell, and they were subsidizing it for everyone there while everyone else in the world was getting gouged.

if their stock market is fukked up, they need to leave it alone and allow market forces to correct it naturally.

they wont. I think I said this in here. This is why no one will use the yuan. They wont let it freely float and let the market decide what its worth. It's probably coming years down the line.

you just use usd since they peg it to that and its more accepted around the world.