Chicago has the blackest black ppl in America

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
:patrice: This may have been true 10-20 years ago but now Latinos are moving into and fixing up foreclosed homes in West Englewood. Went to visit my Pops over the weekend and there was a family full of people having a party

I’m not mad at it to be honest. The black folks who are successful shouldn’t have to live in those shyt holes and should create their own hoods which they have been doing.

Maybe I’m different but I rather see a ghetto be diverse than be filled with just black people.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This thread is old but can you expand on this some more?

I am sorry, but I thought that this was well known. Here you go:

Muslims arrived in America 400 years ago as part of the slave trade and today are vastly diverse
April 11, 2019 6.42am EDT

"...
The first American Muslims
Scholars estimate that as many as 30% of the African slaves brought to the U.S., from West and Central African countries like Gambia and Cameroon, were Muslim. Among the difficulties they faced, were also those related to their faith.

As a scholar of Muslim communities in the West, I know African slaves were forced to abandon their Islamic faith and practices by their owners, both to separate them from their culture and religious roots and also to “civilize” them to Christianity.

Historian Sylviane Diouf explains how despite such efforts, many slaves retained aspects of their customs and traditions, and found new, creative ways to express them. Slave devotionals sung in the fields, for example, kept the tunes and memory of a bygone life alive well after the trauma of dislocation.

Diouf argues that blues music, one of the quintessential forms of American culture, can trace its origins to Muslim influences from the slave era. She also demonstrates how the famous blues song, “Levee Call Holler,” has a style and melody that comes from the Muslim call to prayer, the “adhan.”

Blues has also influenced a host of other American music genres, from country to rock ‘n’ roll, and the most well-known of American musical forms, jazz. The famous jazz player John Coltrane, known for his seminal work “A Love Supreme,” appears to be influenced by the cadence of Islamic prayers and devotionals.

Scholar Hisham Aidi, author of “Rebel Music,” along with a host of jazz musicians, argues that Coltrane is singing “Allah Supreme” in the Islamic devotional style of “dhikr,” or remembrance of God... ."

Muslims arrived in America 400 years ago as part of the slave trade and today are vastly diverse

America's First Muslims Were Slaves
By Dora Mekouar
January 29, 2019 09:33 AM

The Lost History of Early Muslim Americans
Islam in America is clearly nothing new.
The Lost History of Early Muslim Americans

AFRICAN MUSLIMS IN EARLY AMERICA
Religion, Literacy and Liberty
African Muslims in Early America

invalid

Banned
Daps
I am sorry, but I thought that this was well known. Here you go:

Thanks. I think all of this that you posted is well known. What I wanted more insight on is on what you said here...

Islam merged in AAs churches.

I think there is some acceptance that some indigenous african practices were synergized with some AA churches.
I think less known is Islamic practices synergized within AA churches.

Do you have any references for this specific point?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thanks. I think all of this that you posted is well known. What I wanted more insight on is on what you said here...

I think there is some acceptance that some indigenous african practices were synergized with some AA churches.
I think less known is Islamic practices synergized within AA churches.

Do you have any references for this specific point?

Got it.

This is a pretty good book on the subject which addresses some of the connections to the Black Church and Islam.

578937.jpg

In short stuff like shouting in Black churches is considered to have descended from the African Muslims that engaged in "Ring Shout" which roots are considered to be from Islam; specifically from when the followers that circled Kaaba on their visit to Mecca or the "Shawt." If you notice the practice of both groups was to go counterclockwise. .

Second there is seemingly some kind of connection between Dr. Watts and the West African Islamic call to prayer and of course there is a connection to the Blues.

African Muslims in Early America.

786492001001599640360no.jpg

IAMDetroit

"Yall Nig*as"
Daps
Reppin
D
Detroit :sadcam: that's got to be one of the poorest places I've ever seen in my life next to Camden New Jersey. I feel sorry for anyone who has to grow up in an environment like that I lived on the edge of Paterson New Jersey for a while but sheesh
fukk you breh

invalid

Banned
Daps
In short stuff like shouting in Black churches is considered to have descended from the African Muslims that engaged in "Ring Shout" which roots are considered to be from Islam; specifically from when the followers that circled Kaaba on their visit to Mecca or the "Shawt." If you notice the practice of both groups was to go counterclockwise. .

I grew up in a black church but it was not a traditional black church in that it was devoid of many of the characteristics that you find in traditional black churches (charismatic preachers, gospel, shouting, praise dancing, etc.) Was this ring shout or circling present in most early black churches or only relegated to those in the Gullah community?

Daps
Wouldn't the Gullah/Geechee folks in SC and GA be the blackest?

Least amount of Euro mixing with the most African-inspired culture.

The south in general is more black. Everyone in Chicago has a grandparent or two from Mississippi...Definitely a lot of blackness up there but they also have A LOT of different kinds of white people that are distinct.

Down south, even the white people have borrowed a lot of black traditions. Eating greens and cornbread with black eyed peas...not uncommon with country southern cacs. Ain't never heard of Bob Salinski from the Gold Coast getting down on some hot link sandwiches and shrimp & grits. He'd eat pierogi and Italian beef.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
due to segregation. Chicago is the not segregated city in America, so there is basically a million black ppl living amongst each other on the south and west side. I went years without seeing any white ppl other than crackhead, teachers and police. That's why that c00ning and blavity black shyt is foreign to me. you really lived a black experience seeing black ppl everywhere you go from every walk of life. nikkas in other cities be living next door to cacs and shyt and get watered down. All the c00n nikkas here are suburban nikkas (Kanye) or hopeless dusty street nikkas. The average black person from Chicago ain't for none of that :mjpls:
I definitely agree

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I grew up in a black church but it was not a traditional black church in that it was devoid of many of the characteristics that you find in traditional black churches (charismatic preachers, gospel, shouting, praise dancing, etc.) Was this ring shout or circling present in most early black churches or only relegated to those in the Gullah community?

Ring shout/frenzy was in most early black churches in both the North and South

ahbbaIe.jpg

RoT7FKk.jpg

tPwUNgg.jpg

middle class black churches tried to suppress it though:lolbron:

zHVnJD6.jpg

3cjfHPc.jpg