Charlie Strong fired

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But it's not like they set him up to fail.

They paid him millions
They gave him a job and a football school in a hotbed football recruiting state.

He just didn't get the job done. He's a defensive coach and his teams didn't play defense.

always talking about going after another coach in the state whenever he lost, and having boosters say shyt like 'you dont think he head coach material' when you hire him, aint exactly backing him either.....and that's what it boiled down to: the people with the money at texas never wanted him, and finally got their excuse to get rid of him....

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
always talking about going after another coach in the state whenever he lost, and having boosters say shyt like 'you dont think he head coach material' when you hire him, aint exactly backing him either.....and that's what it boiled down to: the people with the money at texas never wanted him, and finally got their excuse to get rid of him....

All of that is irrelevant . At the end of the day Strong had a chance to shut those boosters and alumni up and failed.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
This is college though not the pros. I don't think they should fire college coaches midseason. Not like these kids have the extra time to transition to a new coach.
:skip: Mid-season? There's 1 regular season game left.

The reason you fire them ASAP is because of recruiting. Your new coaches first recruiting class will set the foundation for what their success or failure in year 3-4. You need to give them as much time to do that as possible.

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
I know a lot of you follow this casually and are looking at this at a top level but when you look at the body of work over the last 3 years there is really no defending Charlie at this point. The cherry on top was losing to Kansas, that is an automatic win every year, and you lose to them in the year you need that easy win to save your job. Had he managed 7-5 Fenves(UT President) likely wouldn't have fired him. They gave him an honest chance.

The current players can cry all they want, but they should have performed better on the field. They knew his job was on the line and they came out and laid an egg in Kansas.

I was probably one of the biggest Strong supporters out there, and a lot of things that happened that stunted his success was out of his control. Dude was just snake bitten as the HC of UT, but it's time to move on.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All of that is irrelevant . At the end of the day Strong had a chance to shut those boosters and alumni up and failed.

the only way he couldve done that was win a big 12 and/or a nat ship, and that wasnt realistic with the team he took over....so did he really have a chance? no...to further illustrate the point: they didnt even let him see a recruiting class go through, but you saying they gave him a chance...lol.....

like i said: what's done is done, just curious to see these same folks reactions if herman doesnt win the big 12 and/or a nat ship in 3 years...see if people call for his head like they were doing strong from day 1....

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
the only way he couldve done that was win a big 12 and/or a nat ship, and that wasnt realistic with the team he took over....so did he really have a chance? no...to further illustrate the point: they didnt even let him see a recruiting class go through, but you saying they gave him a chance...lol.....

like i said: what's done is done, just curious to see these same folks reactions if herman doesnt win the big 12 and/or a nat ship in 3 years...see if people call for his head like they were doing strong from day 1....

He had a chance. It's not about playoffs or big 12 championships, it's about improvements. If your players play the same way day 1 of your tenure as they do at the end of year 3 then that's a failure on the coach and that's how they looked. Another year wouldnt have helped tbh.
Will Herman or whoever get the same boot after 3 years if the team doesn't show any improvement? Probably not but it's already been established in this country how being black means you have to be twice as good.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

He ain't been fired yet

I don't know what's all at play behind the scenes. But it seems Fenves (President) is trying to hedge his bets. If UT trunces TCU and they can't get a deal done with Herman this week, he slow plays this, and MAYBE, BIG MAYBE, brings Strong back. I bet they are trying to get the Herman deal done this week. I don't think they have confidence in bringing a name that isn't Herman or Jimbo Fisher as HC.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He had a chance. It's not about playoffs or big 12 championships, it's about improvements. If your players play the same way day 1 of your tenure as they do at the end of year 3 then that's a failure on the coach and that's how they looked. Another year wouldnt have helped tbh.
Will Herman or whoever get the same boot after 3 years if the team doesn't show any improvement? Probably not but it's already been established in this country how being black means you have to be twice as good.

you ignoring we talking about texas, so it is about those things...texas thinks they are college football elite, whether it's realistic or not based off the team.....if it wasnt, mack brown wouldnt have been run out of town even though he was consistently winning 10+ games a year...

you talking about seeing improvements: well, we are talking about charlie...he doesnt get the instant success recruiting classes off the bat like a saban, fisher, etc., so to see improvements, you have to give him time, cause his classes/players get better as they get older....i mean damn, at least let him see his first recruiting class through....

true, it is established that's how we gotta be, doesnt mean we have to sit back and be quiet about it/accept it....

like i said: i'm just glad it's finally over, didnt like how they were just dangling the brotha's job over his head with ever game from day 1...