Chaos in the Middle of a Pandemic: 2020 NBA Off-Season Thread

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not feeling this New owner in Houston. He killing my spirit as a Rockets fan and I jsut never felt that before. It’s one thing to lose it on the court but this guy is doing stuff to lose it before we even get tin the court.

Never dealt with a cheap owner. He’s being called Dolan 2.0 but Dolan ain’t scared to spend. We had our three finalists for a coach for over 2 weeks now and just sitting on it. It’s no coincidence the two most notorious cheap ownershipS in the league(okc and Houston) don’t have a coach yet.

d3323

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not feeling this New owner in Houston. He killing my spirit as a Rockets fan and I jsut never felt that before. It’s one thing to lose it on the court but this guy is doing stuff to lose it before we even get tin the court.

Never dealt with a cheap owner. He’s being called Dolan 2.0 but Dolan ain’t scared to spend. We had our three finalists for a coach for over 2 weeks now and just sitting on it. It’s no coincidence the two most notorious cheap ownershipS in the league(okc and Houston) don’t have a coach yet.

He’s more like Sarver 2.0

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

The NBA letting him buy the team with how much debt he has still surprises me

The pandemic has been terrible for his businesses

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I mentioned it earlier, Houston owner knows the inevitable move is to rebuild and do James a solid if he has a list of teams to vacate to.. but he can't "afford" the financial hit that comes with having a perceived down year and not making the playoffs.

He'd rather just keep things as is and squeeze every penny out of having "2 MVPs in their primes" as a selling point.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I don’t know. Media and company been making Kawhi and company the butt of jokes since being eliminated.
Yea, Is the reason Kawhi doesn't get more criticism other than "he's not a leader"/"load manages too much" (which, btw, aren't light criticisms) because of "Lebron"... or because this one-legged non-leading nygga still dragged Toronto to their first title while giving fades to Butler, Embiid, and Giannis? And was clearly the only reason LAC got past Dallas and up 3-1 vs Denver to begin with.

Sometimes ppl fall into the trap of making everything about Lebron, even moreso than the media.

Jordan>>LeFrozen

It was written in the Bible
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Kawhi gets his criticism, but he’s not much of a personality in which there’s different narratives to run with when it concerns him

he doesn’t really have a fan base to argue with.
He’s not fighting on social media like KD neither is he even half as polarizing as Lebron.

truthfully every narrative around Kawhi is mostly related to His rivalry with Lebron but the Clippers lost to the nuggets and not the lakers so..

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Yea, Is the reason Kawhi doesn't get more criticism other than "he's not a leader"/"load manages too much" (which, btw, aren't light criticisms) because of "Lebron"... or because this one-legged non-leading nygga still dragged Toronto to their first title while giving fades to Butler, Embiid, and Giannis? And was clearly the only reason LAC got past Dallas and up 3-1 vs Denver to begin with.

Sometimes ppl fall into the trap of making everything about Lebron, even moreso than the media.
The thing about Kawhi’s criticism is that it’s always been there.

the media/others tried calling out kawhi about the load management/leadership issue when he refused to play most of that one season for the spurs and got traded then that narrative was put to sleep for one season after winning with the raptors. Plus you add the leg shyt like you mentioned.

The only difference now is that he finally had a human moment where his team went out like trash.

personally I don’t think he deserves criticism more or less.

still top contenders for next year even If the clippers are the butt of everyone jokes

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Kawhi gets his criticism, but he’s not much of a personality in which there’s different narratives to run with when it concerns him

he doesn’t really have a fan base to argue with.
He’s not fighting on social media like KD neither is he even half as polarizing as Lebron.

truthfully every narrative around Kawhi is mostly related to His rivalry with Lebron but the Clippers lost to the nuggets and not the lakers so..

In other words, he's Tim Duncan... whose narrative was mostly playing the role of spoiler to Shaq & Kobe in the early 00s.

Irony isn't lost, given where Kawhi started his career.

Jordan>>LeFrozen

It was written in the Bible
Daps
Reppin
NYC
In other words, he's Tim Duncan... whose narrative was mostly playing the role of spoiler to Shaq & Kobe in the early 00s.

Irony isn't lost, given where Kawhi started his career.
Pretty much. Everything fell in place for him last year

he had a whole country, not city or state, but country behind him within the Raptors/Canada

he was top 3 behind Bron and KD, But KD gets hurt and Bron don’t make the playoffs, so Kawhi kind of just slid into that “best player” role by default since the other two in front of him were out of the picture

people were ready to move on from Bron specially since his first laker season was a disaster and KD was still hated for being with the warriors. Kawhi was quiet and people didn’t dig deep into that Spurs fukkery, so he seemed like someone easy to get behind

Warriors also lose Klay in addition to Kevin in the finals.

Raptors had a machine and a leader in Lowry with vets like Ibaka and Gasol so Kawhi didn’t have to do the things he’s asked of now in LA.

long story short, everything sort of fell in place for him. One of those “lighting strikes once” kind of seasons. He’s typically a quiet dude who doesn’t piss people off so it’s not fun to hate on him. He doesn’t have stans to piss off too. Tim Duncan styled kind of dude though Tim obviously had a lot of fans

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The thing about Kawhi’s criticism is that it’s always been there.

the media/others tried calling out kawhi about the load management/leadership issue when he refused to play most of that one season for the spurs and got traded then that narrative was put to sleep for one season after winning with the raptors. Plus you add the leg shyt like you mentioned.

The only difference now is that he finally had a human moment where his team went out like trash.

personally I don’t think he deserves criticism more or less.

still top contenders for next year even If the clippers are the butt of everyone jokes

I think the current media criticism is about right. Nonsensical in ways, but on par with what Steph and KD endured for droppin the ball in previous years. I just find it funny for those who are aching for "more".

Personally, I think the whole "not a leader" stuff is overstated.. if they win a championship, he's a great leader. If he doesn't, he's not a leader.. and it was them scary-ass raptor role players too scared to shoot in game 7 vs Philly, who were the "leaders".. that's pretty much sports journalism.

End of the day, he's still a top 3 discussion level player who carried the Raps last year when they turned bytch vs ORL/PHI/MIL and who dragged LAC past Dallas when his new teammates turned bytch as well.