Daps
If it does start on Christmas I wonder what the lineup would be :jbhmm:

Bucks-Heat
Nets-Celtics
Clippers-Lakers
Warriors-Rockets
Mavs-Nuggets

Would be my best guess.

If they can bend the rules and try to get Zion into the postseason, you're getting him on Christmas and anything else they can shoehorn him in

Probably Mavs/Pels for "next up" marketing, Nuggets fans assed out.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Eh MLK Day start makes more sense. Especially for the teams that were in the bubble. But the teams that didn’t play in the bubble would have had 9 months off so I see why they would want to start back up quickly.

christmas day = money

Morethan1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
2 more months.

We can do it :mjcry:

Per Shams

The NBA’s league office informed the Board of Governors on Friday that it is targeting to start the 2020-21 season on Dec. 22, three days before Christmas Day, and would like to play a 72-game campaign, sources told The Athletic.

This would mean a return close to the NBA’s normal schedule, significant financial ramifications to start early, a potential finish before the 2021 Summer Olympics, and allow a window for stars to play in the Olympics, sources said. The NBA wants to continue to incorporate the play-in tournament that was utilized in the Orlando restart to determine the eighth seed in the Eastern and Western Conference playoffs, according to sources. ESPN first reported that a Christmas start and playing fewer than 82 games would be discussed on Friday’s call.

The National Basketball Players Association would need to sign off on any plan to start the season on Dec. 22.

Around the NBA, league governors and executives — as well as star players — have become aware of the league aiming toward a start around Christmas Day, which is quicker than expected following an Oct. 11. end to the season. An increasing amount of those people also have warmed to the possibility due to the fact that it is in the best interest of returning to the NBA’s typical schedule, generating revenue.

“It may be too quick, but it also makes too much sense,” one high-ranking team official told The Athletic.

The NBA suspended its season on March 11 due to the coronavirus pandemic, restarted on July 30 and crowned the 2019-20 champion this month. The league had no players test positive for the coronavirus during the four-month resumption.

USA Basketball has begun reaching out to star players to gauge their interest in the Olympics, should the end date of the 2020-21 season provide ample time to prepare for the Games, sources said.

The NBA continues to prefer in-market play for the 2020-21 season — instead of a bubble or multiple bubbles. The league is also looking into ways to reduce travel during the season, including possibly playing a team multiple times.

(Photo: Mark Blinch/NBAE via Getty Images)

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If they can bend the rules and try to get Zion into the postseason, you're getting him on Christmas and anything else they can shoehorn him in

Probably Mavs/Pels for "next up" marketing, Nuggets fans assed out.

I highkey forgot about Zion :dead:

But also I don’t know if the NBA will be as invested in him this season as they were last. The hype ain’t the same :manny:

drifter

Superstar
Daps
I highkey forgot about Zion :dead:

But also I don’t know if the NBA will be as invested in him this season as they were last. The hype ain’t the same :manny:

Well he was hurt most of the year so plenty will give him a pass. The NBA's about more than selling tickets, jerseys, etc they have to sell players too.

By the time Kobe retired LeBron was around his late 20s, Steph/Warriors just had the greatest season ever, KD/Russ were right there, Harden/Dwight, plenty of other shyt. So you had some cushion for the hole from Kobe, plus his last years he was injured anyway, so the transition was easier.

We're in a similar spot now except LeBron's held up and started to eclipse other players, but clearly he's closer to the end. IMO, you can't have the face of a North American league not be from America. It's just a culture difference thing. So Giannis/Luka/Jokic ain't gonna cut it, at least that's the way I see it. So take them out and it's looking pretty bleak you just got a bunch of Bookers, Tatums, Youngs, Lavines, Towns, Mitchells, etc.

Zion already has more star power than all of these guys, so I don't see the Zion Train stopping anytime soon unless his knees do. The NBA needs him to work out.