Chained Echoes December 8 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Game Pass, Switch, and PC via Steam and GOG)

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So far I like it, it gives the encounters a particular rhythm I have to pay attention to.

I figured out only halfway through my 15 hours that there was always a type of attack that could reign me in backwards on the meter (adding to the defensive option, the switch option and the turbo option that all decrease the bar).

Forces me to adapt and plan my attack cycles more carefully instead. It makes the game more dynamic imo, even though tbf you get pretty quickly in the overheat zone. I don't know yet what the math is but I noticed that some moves push you on the bar quicker than others.
Some of the bosses go ham manipulating the meter and later in the game many bosses use an ability that gives them 2-3 turns each turn instead of 1. The bosses usually summon 4 minions then use that turn multiplier.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
OMG :damn:

I just
unlocked the Sky Armor for the first time since the intro and completed the Valandis war quest. Twas so epic.

First of all, the Sky Armor gameplay is so promising :ohlawd: the twist it brings to the overheat bar and resource management is genius and exciting. And it'll revamp traversal which so far made exploration intentional and rewarding but clunky.

The plot though :whoo: Kylian, why tf you had to do that? I leveled up with such care to make you one of my mains :mjcry:I knew you had some darkness in you, but not like this :mjcry:

The 2nd nuclear explosion Glenn couldn't stop :wow:
I'm immersed brehs! Game renewed my excitement at the right time!

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Man, I'm 24 hours in and it feels like the game just now started, in a good way :wow:

I unlocked the airship and set foot in New Wyrnshire for the first time.

First of all, the theme is a hell of a jam :wow:

So many new features available:

• Airship
  • New areas
  • Secondary Quests
  • Vast Homebase to upgrade
  • Crew with recruits to gather on the entire map
  • Three different Sky Armors with different interchangeable sets of weaponry
:wow:

I've been in New Wyrnshire for more than an hour just visiting, buying stuff and revamping my equipment with crystals and new materials.

The way on-foot exploration worked so far makes so much more sense now that I have the Sky Armors. It was interesting up until now but felt very constricted and janky. To be able to just fly over the terrain is a breath of fresh air.

I must add that the lore keeps revealing more of how dense it really is and the compelling narrative threads are multiplying. Between Lenne which seems to be some kind of ethereal reincarnation dreaming of a mysterious tree on a sky island, Glenn and the voices, the war that is spreading from Valandis to the rest of the world, the Church gaining territory on Valandis and looking for the tomb of Lady Reina (as well as the secret mission they invested the Inquisitor breh), King Frederyk's right-hand man and his own agenda against the gods, the secret revolution my team and I are fomenting with the help of Wyrnshire's ruler and Princess Pamelia from Escanya, Victor's own motive...

:whew:

That's a lot and it's very well-handled so far. Add to that the writing that is consistently amusing (the loot item descriptions and dialogues are often shuckle-inducing) but also manages to hit the serious beats and it's no wonder I'm immersed.

With the other continents getting involved, I'm wondering how much more will the game open up.

Now, I'm planning on running it back with the vegetable gang :sadcam: They destroyed me something fierce during my first hours.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
35 hours in... Man, the story & lore are surprisingly compelling...

I just got passed the war between Taryn and Nabrelia and my squad got the Grimoire from King Frederik. Taryn wrecked Nabrelia with the powers granted by the Grimoire, Princess Lenne died, some type of giant avatars pulled up and rewinded time because it was not supposed to happen like that, crazy flashbacks from the entire cast were shown, Frederik's right hand man revealed himself to be the white door's voice in Glenn's mind and gave us the stone, Lenne's... Spirit? Is About to get boo'd up with somebody...

This whole sequence of events felt like an epic anime season finale :whew: my mouth was open the whole time. I had a feeling I might be closer to the end than I thought, but it seems like it's not true at all considering how new mysteries keep appearing while we get a few answers here and there.

Before that ending, I was mostly doing secondary quests, recruiting new guys from my clan and revisiting previous areas with my shiny new sky armors.

I'm really impressed at how deep and well thought-out the lore is revealing itself to be, and also at how rich some of the secondary quests are. For instance, one of the secondary quests I did with that darkskinned researcher who is investigating one of the seven Kings led me to the buried ancient city of Nhysa. I would have thought that it'd either be part of the main story, or that it'd remain some obscure, unexplored part of the lore. But nah, it's a whole, apparently optional, secondary quest. Going down the elevator with that huge ghost town in the background reminded me of Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, and during the whole trip downward, the researcher gives us an amazing lore dump about the seven Kings which each gets some beautiful pixel art illustration. All that optional!

Now, I'm left wondering if they matter for the main narrative, if we'll actually get to meet several of them... But even if that doesn't happen, that's so dope. It gives the world some real consistency, the same way the books scattered around and convos add to the feeling that it's its own real world. When those giant deities popped up to rewind time and appeared in front of the 2nd moon in the background, I had the knowledge that the moon was one of the seven Kings and just that added to the moment.

Ditto for the maelstom, ether, the "white" door, reincarnation, the grimoire and how all of that works. The game does a great job at peeling the mechanisms little by little (using secondary quests to do so as well), but it's also interesting in and of itself. Like, how clever that the Grimoire regenerates thanks to the ether of its victims, meaning the more victims this atomic bomb makes, the stronger it gets, but also that the way to destroy it is to activate it without causing any casualties. That's smart asf and perfectly integrated into the world's lore.

Really impressed with this game. The gameplay is still great and the controls still a bit janky :p

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I thought this was better by a mile fwiw
Damn the art seams so much better with sea of stars and i loved their last game. Was hoping the answer was to play Sea of Stars.

Haven’t had a good old school rpg experience in a while. Need them feels, seems this game was better liked overall between the two.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Damn the art seams so much better with sea of stars and i loved their last game. Was hoping the answer was to play Sea of Stars.

Haven’t had a good old school rpg experience in a while. Need them feels, seems this game was better liked overall between the two.
my biggest problem with sea of stars was the combat being jarringly weak and the story just being a constant letdown. im not gonna bash it all over again, but chained echoes is far more dynamic on the gameplay side of things and narrative was better than it had any right to be.

aesthetically, sea of stars is better clearly

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
my biggest problem with sea of stars was the combat being jarringly weak and the story just being a constant letdown. im not gonna bash it all over again, but chained echoes is far more dynamic on the gameplay side of things and narrative was better than it had any right to be.

aesthetically, sea of stars is better clearly
I haven't played Sea of Stars yet, but my friend that played both had the same sentiment.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Some of the bosses go ham manipulating the meter and later in the game many bosses use an ability that gives them 2-3 turns each turn instead of 1. The bosses usually summon 4 minions then use that turn multiplier.
This dikksucker Whyatt is playing six times in a row and got me for the 4th time in a row :pacspit:

I'm like "this coli breh warned me :francis:"