Carlton says he doesn't need Tyler Perry to do nothing for him

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
In a recent interview he said The Fresh Prince show literally killed his acting career. He knew he wasn't going to get meaningful work anymore and he accepted it.

I always take these things with a grain of salt

Yes it's hard to brand yourself as an versatile actor once you've been cast in an iconic role, especially in a TV show that's over some years. But I think a lot of nikkas aren't willing to get their roles out the mud and earn it. You gonna have to be relegated to doing movies no one's ever heard of and work for insufficient pay to get your reps in.

Shia lebeouf was in some bullshyt after even stevens (outside of holes that he got off the strength of disney) and had to work up to his big break in transformers

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
A lot of a vitriol towards another Black man :mjpls:

I hopefully they really do have some real static and he is just not on some :mjpls: shyt
TP is a piece of shyt. a LOT of TPs are pieces of shyt or sus tho

Tony Parker

Teddy Pendergrass (RIP) :dame:

Tyrone Power (RIP) and Tyrone Power Jr, two criggas named tyrone gotta be pieces of shyt

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
I always take these things with a grain of salt

Yes it's hard to brand yourself as an versatile actor once you've been cast in an iconic role, especially in a TV show that's over some years. But I think a lot of nikkas aren't willing to get their roles out the mud and earn it. You gonna have to be relegated to doing movies no one's ever heard of and work for insufficient pay to get your reps in.

Shia lebeouf was in some bullshyt after even stevens (outside of holes that he got off the strength of disney) and had to work up to his big break in transformers
I get your point but I feel it's probably even harder as a black actor to shake off that typecast role. Even Christopher B. Duncan spoke on basically the same thing, saying it's hard because people only see him as Braxton. I see your point about taking an unconventional road to get back to where you were though.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
People just be saying anything :mjlol: same people saying stuff like this don’t even watch tv. That man is doing ok

Richard Glidewell

Superstar
Daps

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I get your point but I feel it's probably even harder as a black actor to shake off that typecast role. Even Christopher B. Duncan spoke on basically the same thing, saying it's hard because people only see him as Braxton. I see your point about taking an unconventional road to get back to where you were though.
This is true, but like I said, grain of salt

You also have big actors that embraced their typecast and leveraged that into different types of roles as well, as long you're maintaining dignity in doing so, you can make it work. Look at dude that played everybody hates chris

There's a lot of different routes to take, but if you're doing an interview like that, I'm more than anything inclined to think that you let your pride get in the way and you didn't get in the trenches to work your way to the position you desired.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Funny how tv characters like "Carlton" and Braxton" are still identified by said names of the actors who portrayed them....to this day.

*new thread idea* :jbhmm:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Are we caping for gay ass homosexual ass Tyler casting men on the couch Perry. Is that what we’re doing now?

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
Its funny because I don't even like Tyler Perry but how stupid/c00nish can you be to refuse a TP role. Wasn't he complaining about how fresh prince ruined his career but let me guess its not a cac producer/director so :mjpls:
Tyler be wantin' to fukk

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
This is true, but like I said, grain of salt

You also have big actors that embraced their typecast and leveraged that into different types of roles as well, as long you're maintaining dignity in doing so, you can make it work. Look at dude that played everybody hates chris

There's a lot of different routes to take, but if you're doing an interview like that, I'm more than anything inclined to think that you let your pride get in the way and you didn't get in the trenches to work your way to the position you desired.
Yeah good point. Ironically I just thought of the same scenario involving Alfonso, he basically played Carlton on another show with LL Cool J called In the House. I can agree that you can make it work as long as you aren't compromising your dignity, may even end up working out based on how one role goes in one project you get a relationship with so and so director who puts you in another project doing different stuff. So yeah it does end up being staying the course at the end of the day.