GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
Panama for sure. Colombia's culture is more South American/Andean influenced than Caribbean which is why i don't consider them Caribbean. and as far as i know they don't consider themselves Caribbean either
I've met several Costa Ricans, Hondurans, Belizeans, Colombians, Venezuelans, Panamanians, Guyanese who consider themselves Caribbean. I told them that they weren't and they argued that they were. :yeshrug:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
IMO The Caribbean/West Indies is a geography AND cultural region that includes: Cuba, PR, DR, Haiti, Jamaica, T&T, Barbados, St. Vincent & Grenadines, St. Lucia, Grenada, Dominica, Bermuda, the Bahamas, USVI, BVI, Cayman, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire, Panama, Venezuela, Belize, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, St. Kitts, BES Islands, and the other British islands (Montserrat, etc.)

Caribbean influenced: Costa Rica, Nicaragua

going off the head, so correct me or add on if i missed any

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I've met several Costa Ricans, Hondurans, Belizeans, Colombians, Venezuelans, Guyanese who consider themselves Caribbean. I told them that they weren't and they argued that they were. :yeshrug:
i only know two Hondurans (1 is black) and plenty Colombians (none are black if it matters), i've never heard them say they were Caribbeans;

Check out my list, see if you agree

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I've met several Costa Ricans, Hondurans, Belizeans, Colombians, Venezuelans, Guyanese who consider themselves Caribbean. I told them that they weren't and they argued that they were. :yeshrug:

I NEVER in my life heard a Colombian and especially Honduran consider themselves Caribbean... I had a close friend who was Honduran and he never considered himself Caribbean. He and others of his nationality identified with central Americans like Mexicans and Guatemalans to the max. Their culture also did not resemble any Caribbean influence. You must be talking about those black ones that are of recent Caribbean ancestral like I think @Dip stated.

Guyanese and Belizeans CAN identify as Caribbean or even West Indian since their culture is mostly that... And they also politically identify with other Caribbean nations.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Colombians from the coastal regions consider themselves to be Caribbean.

But they're not the majority of Colombians and their population is quite small. And I believe @Dip even stated their of recent Caribbean ancestry. This Colombian girl I met in college never mentioned she was Caribbean nor did her culture resemble that of Caribbean culture.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
IMO The Caribbean/West Indies is a geography AND cultural region that includes: Cuba, PR, DR, Haiti, Jamaica, T&T, Barbados, St. Vincent & Grenadines, St. Lucia, Grenada, Dominica, Bermuda, the Bahamas, USVI, BVI, Cayman, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire, Panama, Venezuela, Belize, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, St. Kitts, BES Islands, and the other British islands (Montserrat, etc.)

I think we should go by this definition. But I disagree with Venezuela being included.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps

at the 7:28 mark - Rita Verreos who was Miss Venezuela 1998 talked about Venezuela being a Caribbean country. She mentioned it multiple times in the interview. I don't have the time stamps.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
i know about Costa Rica, i live in a heavily Costa Rican area and i'm part Jamaican. those black Caribbeans are descendents of Jamaicans, Haitians, Bajans, Martiniquans etc that came for work. More went to Panama (and as a result its more culturally Caribbean than the other Central American countries). i would consider Belize and Panama to be Caribbean and Costa Rica not really because their Caribbean descendant population is relatively small and their country doesn't associate with Caribbeans anyway
Fixed

• Dap

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps

I don't consider the countries in the bolded to be Caribbean. And lets be honest the only reason people consider Guyana and Belize to be Caribbean is because they were colonized by the English. :yeshrug:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Caribbean Community
1024px-Location_Caricom.svg.png

Those nations in the dark green can be included in this thread since they are apart of the community and culturally Caribbean.
Im gonna need you to DEFINE caribbean

To me Caribbean are nations that are in the Caribbean sea. How you exclude Cuba and include Bahamas in the Caribbean is delusional.

The Bahamas are technically in North America.

Cuba = Caribbean
Dominican Republic = Caribbean
Puerto Rico = Caribbean

Seems like you'r eone of them cats that reserves the term caribbean to English speaking islands or something

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
:dead: at the swerve this thread took.... its good though, but how about putting some pics up while debating geo-political/socio-cultural differences..... grown man shiit :myman:

Lets see if Colombia and Venezuela coastal region fit the bill :jawalrus:

• Dap