'Captain Marvel' Star Brie Larson Says She's Tired Of White Men Dominating Film Criticism

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
The facts Larson cited were from a recent study by the University of Southern California Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, which examined movie reviews.

The group looked at 100 top-grossing films of 2017 on the site Rotten Tomatoes to assess the gender and ethnicity of the critics and found that reviewers are overwhelmingly white and male.

According to the report, only 22% of nearly 20,000 reviews evaluated were written by women and 82% were authored by white critics.

In her speech, Larson called for this to change.

She said women and men of color should be reviewing these big movies too, not just white men.

I don't know why yall are so deadset on arguing against her :heh: :mindblown:

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
She's also slated to be the new leader of Phase 4 apparently.
dangelo-barksdale.gif

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
complains that white woman don't speak up about racism

white woman speaks up on racism

attacks white woman for speaking up on racism only for their own benefit

white woman stops speaking up on racism

complains that white woman don't speak up about racism
Who's complaining about cac women speaking up about racism? Only goofy nikkas looking for a white savior still obsess about that bullshyt. They don't want men of color(stupid term btw) they want :wrist:men of color reviewing their shytty movies. Keep in mind that it was black men that called out the swirl agenda in AWIT.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
It's time to stop pontificating and look at the facts, Ernie.

A Wrinkle in Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

79 out 169 of critics that reviewed A Wrinkle In Time were female. That's 46%, hardly an unfair representation.

Now there is this...

Of the 45 recognized as 'top critics' only 10 of them are female, but 'top critic' is an arbitrary and meaningless label to begin with.

So what exactly is she insinuating? That there aren't enough women reviewing films? Because that's wrong. Is it that their opinions aren't being heard? That's wrong too.

I wonder if Brie Larsen would ever consider giving up her role as Captain Marvel so that Disney could cast a minority woman in her place. I mean white women have had it good long enough right? It's time for others to get a chance. I'm sure she would be just fine with that. :comeon:
full

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Who's complaining about cac women speaking up about racism? Only goofy nikkas looking for a white savior still obsess about that bullshyt. They don't want men of color(stupid term btw) they want :wrist:men of color reviewing their shytty movies. Keep in mind that it was black men that called out the swirl agenda in AWIT.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
She said women and men of color should be reviewing these big movies too, not just white men.

I don't know why yall are so deadset on arguing against her :heh: :mindblown:
I think it’s a case of:.
“The message is being relayed by the wrong messenger”..
At the end of the day, I get her intentions and she never gave off the:mjpls:to me..
But historically..
White women do a lot of
full

But when it’s time to put their “knecks” on the line they..
omgwtf.gif

Again I don’t have a problem with what she said but a lot of white women contradict themselves and do shyt that is the opposite of the language of equal rights..
For god sake 54% of them voted Agent Orange into office and had a march two months later:skip:
And they are known to co-opt movements on their terms and still don’t listen to the voices of black women or other women of color..
I applaud her but I’m still:ld:
She won’t lose any roles and this will make her an even bigger star..
But women like Viola Davis having been saying shyt like this(not on critics per say but the industry as a whole) and get met with the..
“Why is she complaining”..

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
And just like that, a Wrinkle in Time grossed 750k on Friday night alone, putting it at 98.9 million. That's a 2,013.9% increase :dead:

Brie Larson and those +88 theaters may've just catapulted it to 100 mill by the end of this weekend.

Yo :ohhh: Brie gotta getup on some podium next week and say some shyt about white males bashing Black Panther :mjgrin:.

700 milly guaranteed
full

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
And just like that, a Wrinkle in Time grossed 750k on Friday night alone, putting it at 98.9 million. That's a 2,013.9% increase :dead:

Brie Larson and those +88 theaters may've just catapulted it to 100 mill by the end of this weekend.

Yo :ohhh: Brie gotta getup on some podium next week and say some shyt about white males bashing Black Panther :mjgrin:.

700 milly guaranteed
full
Ain't disney open up more teathers for AWIT this weekend?

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's time to stop pontificating and look at the facts, Ernie.

79 out 169 of critics that reviewed A Wrinkle In Time were female. That's 46%, hardly an unfair representation.

Now there is this...

Of the 45 recognized as 'top critics' only 10 of them are female, but 'top critic' is an arbitrary and meaningless label to begin with.

So what exactly is she insinuating? That there aren't enough women reviewing films? Because that's wrong. Is it that their opinions aren't being heard? That's wrong too.

I wonder if Brie Larsen would ever consider giving up her role as Captain Marvel so that Disney could cast a minority woman in her place. I mean white women have had it good long enough right? It's time for others to get a chance. I'm sure she would be just fine with that. :comeon:
Ironically there is a black Captain Marvel, and she came before Carol.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Ain't disney open up more teathers for AWIT this weekend?

What's funny is that a Wrinkle in Time hasn't cracked 100 mill domestic yet, despite an estimated budget of 100-150 mil and being in theaters for months. It's currently at 98.2 mil but Disney just added 88 more theaters for it this weekend, most likely to make a strong push for 100 million (i don't know if there are incentives for reaching that milestone). This happens the same exact week that Brie Larson makes these comments specifically about a Wrinkle in Time :jbhmm:

Maybe just pure ironic coincidence :dame:

Meanwhile Black Panther is at 699.5 mill domestic... 500k from 700milly... would make it the 3rd movie ever to achieve that... yet Disney gutted him of another 40 theaters this weekend :martin:

700 milly guaranteed
full

:pachaha:

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
crticis importance has never be lower due to social media. If a movie is good the ppl will speak regardless what a critic says. A wrinkle in time was just trash