Can’t keep saying the education system in this country is bad. It’s the parents fault.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I 100% agree that it's purely a money thing. If the average person made Tom the COO money they're hiring personal tutors for their kids too. But we don't so Tom the COO is not a model we can apply to our kids. We just don't have the resources to do it.

And yeah you can believe what you want about what folks are spending on their kids. But you'll never know unless they tell you or you see it for yourself. I don't have a single coworker with the resources that isn't spending on personal tutoring. And that's irregardless of how good or bad their kids are doing.

My manager does it, my skip does it, my mentors did it, my peers with legacy money do it. We talk about these things. I wish I could do it, but shyt, my family is lower middle class outside of myself. I gotta save differently

:yeshrug:

Well, I guess, but does the average kid really need all these tutors and extra attention to just not fail out?

I went to public school and didn't have any special tutoring, nor were my parents helping me with my homework or hounding me about my grades and shyt (most of the time I just went home and played video games), and I still passed with no issues (and probably could've gotten higher grades if I wasn't lazy) and eventually went to college.

As somebody who went to inner city public schools I remember a lot of the kids just behaving terribly and they had to spend as much time disciplining kids as they did teaching anything. Had to spend a lot of time doing nothing or entertaining myself while teachers gave most of their attention to more problematic kids. Seems like problems at home are the biggest factor.

Geode

All Star
Daps
Kids are not presented with many opportunities or experiences to learn at home. It doesn't even have to be purely educational learning.

School should not be the only place responsible for child learning. What can your child learn from you as a parent?

And yes there are some lazy and jaded teachers who treat teaching as a job and not a profession. These folks tend to languish in education because honestly they don't have other options and lazy parenting let's them off the hook.

The question is how can both sides do better to reach a goal? We used to value education so much.

RedBull

All Star
Daps
Reppin
On KRS One's nose, eating sunflower seeds.
Kids are not presented with many opportunities or experiences to learn at home. It doesn't even have to be purely educational learning.

School should not be the only place responsible for child learning. What can your child learn from you as a parent?

And yes there are some lazy and jaded teachers who treat teaching as a job and not a profession. These folks tend to languish in education because honestly they don't have other options and lazy parenting let's them off the hook.

The question is how can both sides do better to reach a goal? We used to value education so much.

Problem solvers in order:

The State/City
The Parents
The Principals
The Teachers
The Students

Parents have more power than they realize, in most states. The NYC school system is probably the only exception when it comes to change. There’s too many people making decisions for the wrong reasons. However, if parents hone their energies to their child(ren) individual school, then it could work. But…

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle
Parents play a huge role in it, I was raised in section 8, but my mom made sure to sign up for any program to help me get ready for school, there's really no excuse if you care about your child's future. But as I got older I realize a lot of people don't seek out help as much as they need to and accept whatever lays there way even of it's shytty.

Max Power

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way
How many kids do you know of have you known that didnt want to go to school? I always wanted to go. Thats where my friends were. Id go early and hang out eat breakfast and play games or sports before school, and after in elementary and middle. By high school I actually was hitting the gym before school and practice after wards but I was still making a point to be in school to see my friends and hoes....oh yeah and learn something.

A common thing ive heard from my co workers is their kids will even lie about being sick to go to school because they want to be with their friends. And when they are at school they arent acting a fool because getting in trouble and failing and shyt isnt cool.
You say they want to be there with their friends but how many are interested in being educated? By the time you get to college the majority of people are there to be educated. So much so that they're willing to incur debts in the tens of thousands. That's the difference.

Giselle

Bushed
Daps
Public schools are FREE

Parents don’t value it and they don’t teach their kids the value of it.

My parents had me reading at a 4th grade level when I was 4, and my math was at a 2nd grade level. I ended up skipping grades.

It’s definitely the parents. I got into an argument with a white woman about it on TikTok. She blamed the school. I told her it is her job to teach her kids at home as well. She said she works, I told her my parents did too, that is no excuse.

I forgot what she said after that but my response was that I started tutoring other kids how to read when I was 10 and did it again in college with a part time job. It’s not difficult if you know phonics . She shut up after that.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

That’s the thing that a lot of people are overlooking. You can incorporate lesson learning into a lot of what you do at home even if it’s just for a few minutes.

The problem is that most people either don’t know how to or don’t care to do so.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You say they want to be there with their friends but how many are interested in being educated?

Idk. I didn't have an "interest" per say. My peers happened to be smart and play sports so we kind of bounced off each other. It wasn't "cool to be dumb" or failing, shyt there were plenty of times we'd be competing to see who go better test grades or class grades. I always considered those who were interested lucky because I never had a genuine interest, I was kind of a jack of all trades. I took a electronics/engineering course for a credit, I liked it, I excelled at it, I took art, drama, creative writing, journalism, Spanish, weights. Some of my people's fell in love with chemistry, or biology, hell even art, automotive....like that was their shyt.

I don't know what to say to kids that haven't found their thing. And the same for collective people that hang with dummies that don't want to do school work and act a fool.

Hell school is different from when I went, they literally have "digital music" so cats have fl studio and shyt on school PC's and make beats.

I liked school and college. But my experience was different.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

Instant gratification made most non wealthy families look at education as :scust: espexially after 2008 when good paying jobs are not available to every person with a college education.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Idk. I didn't have an "interest" per say. My peers happened to be smart and play sports so we kind of bounced off each other. It wasn't "cool to be dumb" or failing, shyt there were plenty of times we'd be competing to see who go better test grades or class grades. I always considered those who were interested lucky because I never had a genuine interest, I was kind of a jack of all trades. I took a electronics/engineering course for a credit, I liked it, I excelled at it, I took art, drama, creative writing, journalism, Spanish, weights. Some of my people's fell in love with chemistry, or biology, hell even art, automotive....like that was their shyt.

I don't know what to say to kids that haven't found their thing. And the same for collective people that hang with dummies that don't want to do school work and act a fool.

Hell school is different from when I went, they literally have "digital music" so cats have fl studio and shyt on school PC's and make beats.

I liked school and college. But my experience was different.

But they can make TikTok videos and prank videos and some dumb ass viral “challenge” videos. Or Dance videos.

They look at social media people like Mr. beast and say fukk school. This transcends race as well. Kids simply don’t value education or being educated.

Spiider

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
kids are even stupider in this generation...thats no surprise to me...i saw a vid where teens could not tell fukking time on a clock with roman numerals...i was appalled
You can’t really blame them for that. When I was in school, they only spent a couple of days in elementary school teaching us roman numerals. They never brought it up again. The only reason I know how to read roman numerals is because of the Final Fantasy games :snoop:

If they can’t read a clock with regular numbers, then you’re right about them being dumb :russ:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
You can’t really blame them for that. When I was in school, they only spent a couple of days in elementary school teaching us roman numerals. They never brought it up again. The only reason I know how to read roman numerals is because of the Final Fantasy games :snoop:

If they can’t read a clock with regular numbers, then you’re right about them being dumb :russ:
My elementary school taught up cursive writing in the third grade and never brought it up again, so I totally get it lol.