Can William clay ford kick the bucket already official Detroit Lions 2013-14 season thread

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
No on lovie. everyone would just be miserable. lovie would probably get us to the playoffs but he isnt one to get you over the top he is just a guy if you want to be a respectable team again

gruden, im so so on. the knock on him was he was good if he had talent but not too good in developing drafted talent. i guess you might say the lions have enough talent for gruden but i dont think enough to win a SB. they still need a couple more pieces. plus he is probably fine being done. all he can do by coming back is ruin his legacy

i'd just go for an up and coming Coordinator on a good team. realistically stafford isnt going anywhere, so just add some pieces in the secondary and pray it clicks for stafford because we are only going as far as he takes us.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The change over to the rookie cap really fukked the Lions. You got Stafford, Calvin, and Suh who were all among the last to get the big time rookie deals. And you can't go backwards with them so you are pretty much stuck giving them even bigger contracts while still trying to build around them. fukked up situation but still doesn't excuse Titus Young and Broyles in back to back 2nd rounds though.

Yup, besides this year with Warford, Ansah, Taylor, Fauria, etc the Lions, Mayhew and his staff failed to capitalize on that. You can scratch by with these mega deals if you're sound in drafting, and give out good free agent deals ie Mathis and Bush this year, and good value on players like Levy.

We'll see..

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No on lovie. everyone would just be miserable. lovie would probably get us to the playoffs but he isnt one to get you over the top he is just a guy if you want to be a respectable team again

gruden, im so so on. the knock on him was he was good if he had talent but not too good in developing drafted talent. i guess you might say the lions have enough talent for gruden but i dont think enough to win a SB. they still need a couple more pieces. plus he is probably fine being done. all he can do by coming back is ruin his legacy

i'd just go for an up and coming Coordinator on a good team. realistically stafford isnt going anywhere, so just add some pieces in the secondary and pray it clicks for stafford because we are only going as far as he takes us.

:dead: this got me

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Live updates: Coach Jim Schwartz discusses Detroit Lions' loss to the Baltimore Ravens
Please note, all statements from Schwartz in this post will be paraphrased. Refresh often for updates once the press conference begins.

2:45 -- ALLEN PARK -- Join MLive.com at 4 p.m. for live updates from Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz's Tuesday press conference following his team's 18-16 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

With the loss, the Lions no longer control their own playoff destiny. Detroit could be eliminated from postseason contention as early as Sunday if both the Green Bay Packers (vs. Pittsburgh) and Chicago Bears (at Philadelphia) get wins.

It was the same story, different day for the Lions on Monday night as the team continued to shoot itself in the foot with turnovers. Quarterback Matthew Stafford tossed three interceptions, bringing his five-game total to 13 turnovers.

Up next for the Lions is the New York Giants, the only team in the NFL with more turnovers than the Lions.

4:00 -- The Lions have not considered making a change to Shaun Hill in the past or in the future. Schwartz says Matthew Stafford's struggles are the team's struggles.

4:01 -- Schwartz says all players are held to a high standard, but the team doesn't publicly shame players. That's no different with Stafford.

4:01 -- Asked about offering Stafford a short-term relief, Schwartz says, "When would you make that change?" The coach says not many teams shuffle out quarterbacks.

4:02 -- Schwartz feels Stafford is an accurate passer and doesn't feel the quarterback needs any additional coaches or gurus.

4:03 -- Asked if Stafford was impatient, Schwartz says the only throw that comes to mind was the botched screen pass to Joique Bell.

4:04 -- Schwartz says that Stafford's various arm angles are "just him." The coach says the quarterback isn't any more or less accurate with those throws. Schwartz again says the team needs to do a better job blocking and catching passes.

4:05 -- Schwartz said the team did consider taking a timeout before Justin Tucker's field goal, but felt good with having 38 seconds and three timeouts on offense. Had the Ravens been closer, the Lions would have definitely called a timeout, but at 61 yards, they weren't certain the Ravens would kick it.

4:06 -- The team does watch the opposing kicker warm-up, just to see what kind of range they're dealing with.

4:07 -- Sam Martin was feeling tightness in his groin before the game, which is why David Akers kicked off against the Ravens.

4:08 -- Brandon Pettigrew was injured at the end of the game. He's having tests on his ankle today.

4:08 -- It's possible Chris Houston and Darius Slay could be back this week.

4:09 -- Schwartz rejects the notion that the team has problems holding on to fourth-quarter leads.

4:11 -- Asked about Joseph Fauria on field goal blocks, Schwartz said the tight end couldn't be effective in the role with the new rule changes preventing pushing the line.

4:12 -- Schwartz said he's constantly evaluating where he can improve, but will leave it up to the media to choose where he needs to be better.

4:14 -- Schwartz talks about how perceptions of the game change dramatically if Tucker's kick stays wide.

4:14 -- Schwartz declines comment on when he last talked to the Fords.

4:15 -- Schwartz says he understand the media has a job to do, but says he doesn't see any value in commenting on his job security.

4:16 -- Schwartz said he's been in worst situations than this. References a season where the Titans started off 0-5 and had a chance to win on the last week of the season and make the postseason. The Titans also went the AFC Championship after starting 1-4.

4:17 -- Schwartz says talk of his job security definitely seeps into the locker room, but if he continues to talk about it, he doesn't make it any better.

4:19 -- Asked if the coaching message needs to change to eliminate discipline issues, Schwartz says he feels the team has cleaned up many of its penalty issues. He said everyone emphasizes takeaways and protecting the football, but that comes down to execution on the field.

4:20 -- On the empty-backfield on third down, Schwartz said the team has made a lot of plays out of that formation. He said Ravens stacked the box to take away the run and the team thought they could make a good play with a short pass. Again, Schwartz says the execution wasn't good on the play, but he stands by the call.

4:23 -- That's a wrap.

Really gym shorts stafford is a accurate qb and doesn't need additional coaching
:pacspit:

*Hulks Up*

got that new coli smell
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The D (where it's so cold)
I don't even feel like shytting on this team, anymore, I'll just hand out daps. I really want this season to be over, at first I just wanted them in the playoffs even if it was an embarrassing moonwalk to the wildcard, just get there. Now I don't even want that, I'm pretty much done debating the 'why', error prone coaching, int prone quarterbacking, they just keep losing winnable games. And this is the first time in a recent season where everyone is personally responsible for blowing games, Matt, Calvin, Schwartz, Suh (the defense as a whole) all can take blame in any number of losses this season.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I don't even feel like shytting on this team, anymore, I'll just hand out daps. I really want this season to be over, at first I just wanted them in the playoffs even if it was an embarrassing moonwalk to the wildcard, just get there. Now I don't even want that, I'm pretty much done debating the 'why', error prone coaching, int prone quarterbacking, they just keep losing winnable games. And this is the first time in a recent season where everyone is personally responsible for blowing games, Matt, Calvin, Schwartz, Suh (the defense as a whole) all can take blame in any number of losses this season.

didn't Calvin have some type of nerve damage a couple years ago effecting his hands? I doubt he'll ever recover from that. What pissed me off about the last game and one's prior is the hits he takes over the middle extending for these passes. The Ravens lit Calvin up when he caught the ball and the Lions didn't do the same to the opposition, perfect example was the last play in the 4th when Jones caught the pass over middle, untouched without consequences, happened all game.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
didn't Calvin have some type of nerve damage a couple years ago effecting his hands? I doubt he'll ever recover from that. What pissed me off about the last game and one's prior is the hits he takes over the middle extending for these passes. The Ravens lit Calvin up when he caught the ball and the Lions didn't do the same to the opposition, perfect example was the last play in the 4th when Jones caught the pass over middle, untouched without consequences, happened all game.
He takes numerous vicious shots every game. One day his body is just going to give out. :damn:

The sad part is that if the Lions do win this Sunday and and have everything go their way (GB and Chicago loses one more game this season) the Lions will find a way to lose to Minn :snoop:
They've won once in Minnesota since 1997. I always expected them to lose that game. The Vikings have been playing decent ball lately too.

Maizeandbluekid

Early 2010's OG
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
2013-12-19-NFCNorth.png

:snoop::snoop::snoop: