Can we all agree that The Neptunes are top 5 Hip Hop producers?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
The thing is production is more than just making beats. .

I couldn't agree more.

I don't questions his credentials. To me I think he's objectively probably the best hip-hop producer ever.

There are other producers that I prefer though, in terms of sound and style.

This is just an aside and not directed at you, but in the same way that a lot of hip-hop fans say producer when they're really talking about beatmakers, I think there are some guys that catch strays and get called beatmakers when they are producers IMO.

Like, some people think of Dilla as a beat-maker more than a producer. And I think they're wrong. Even though he always got busy on the pads himself, and he never did orchestration, or directed other musicians...he still coached vocals, put together albums, A&R'd cats, and did a lot of work to put both songs and entire albums together.

Just a thought.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Good points. The one thing I'll say is that I never hate on loops if they're dope, because a lot of my other favorite producers have done a lot of straight loops as well. You gotta have the ear for it.

As for how much Dre actually got busy on the pads or keys, I dunno. I look at him for like a Teddy Riley/Quincy Jones producer, and less of a beatmaker. So it never bothered me too much.

I DO THINK that Dre's style got stale after 2001, and I think his style became a caricature of itself around the time of Get Rich or Die Trying and The Documentary, or at least a little bit after that.

I think he got praise that was above the work he was putting out in the mid 00's. :manny:

teddy riley made his beats.

ehh dre was kinda stale on 2001 as well.

The thing is production is more than just making beats. People question Dre's credentials, but he's the common denominator and pretty much every collaborator he's had hasn't been able to replicate what he's done to the degree that he did in terms of quality.

that's his hustle.

use up every producer while theyre in their prime.

Paradise50

Superstar
Daps
At some point I feel like the production credits switched from Neptunes to just Pharrell?

When did that happen?

Or I at least remember I started seeing some stuff that said Pharrell and not The Neptunes.
Some stuff was just Pharrell a few years ago when Chad ventured into some other things. Chad is behind a lot of the dope bridges if I'm not mistaken.

The Fire

way more chemical than political
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
Timbo
Kanye
Pharrell
Just blaze
Dre I guess or premo or rza

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Their run was legendary

Timberlake
Jay
Clipse
Snoop
Kelis
Luda
Nelly

Half of them barely count as Hip Hop. They’re like Bad Boy, people always talking so much shyt about what they did in Hip Hop blah blah then when it comes to listing albums and achievements half or more of the list is some RnB bullshyt which has nothing to do with the Hip Hop side of the argument. Justin Timberlake? Kelis? Nelly counts as great Hip Hop now when t props up your argument? FOH

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice:

Prime? Musicians/instrumentalists usually only get better with time in terms of skill. Dre just brought the best outta them dudes.

This.

Thinking about it, most of the instrumentalists and beatmakers Dre worked with weren't even making beats until AFTER Dre worked with them. Like you wouldn't see them credited for production until after Dre worked with them. For example, Scott Storch was keyboardist before Dre. After Dre, he was getting work on his own in addition to co-production with Timbaland. Daz was credited with drum programming on Chronic and Doggystyle. Then he was a full fledged producer on Dogg Food and AEOM. Mike Elizondo and Mark Batson didn't even do Hip Hop before Dre.

Phantom Dreamer

All Star
Daps
This.

Thinking about it, most of the instrumentalists and beatmakers Dre worked with weren't even making beats until AFTER Dre worked with them. Like you wouldn't see them credited for production until after Dre worked with them. For example, Scott Storch was keyboardist before Dre. After Dre, he was getting work on his own in addition to co-production with Timbaland. Daz was credited with drum programming on Chronic and Doggystyle. Then he was a full fledged producer on Dogg Food and AEOM. Mike Elizondo and Mark Batson didn't even do Hip Hop before Dre.

Exactly. If anything, they learned from Dre.