Can we all agree that The Neptunes are top 5 Hip Hop producers?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I'd give them top 5 of the 00's, but not top 5 of all time. A big issue with me, and I still have the Scratch magazine somewhere, is that they talked about how they wanted their beats to have a more "thin" sound to them, and I think that has contribute to some of their beats not aging as well.

I wish some of them had a warmer sound to them, but whatever. They're definitely top 5 of the 00's, and if you expand them past hip-hop, I might say they're one of the top 10 pop producers of all time.

Their work with Clipse is amazing. I like a lot of their production.

It may just be personal taste. I have Dre, Premier, RZA, Pete Rock, Dilla as my top 5. I have Havoc, Alchemist, Madlib, Just Blaze, Kanye West, Organzied Noize, Timbo, Nottz, Bink, 9th Wonder, Erik Sermon, Easy Mo Bee, and some others following after that.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
neptunes put out too much wack chit to even be in the convo.

hip-hop's history is too rich & deep for this
Yep. it's almost to rich and too deep to make a solid top 5 producer argument at all.

If someone told me Bomb Squad and Marley Marl was in their top 5, we aren't even in the mid 90's yet and two spots have been taken up.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I refuse to believe Chad has anything to do with the trash thats been released recently.

200.gif
At some point I feel like the production credits switched from Neptunes to just Pharrell?

When did that happen?

Or I at least remember I started seeing some stuff that said Pharrell and not The Neptunes.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep. it's almost to rich and too deep to make a solid top 5 producer argument at all.

If someone told me Bomb Squad and Marley Marl was in their top 5, we aren't even in the mid 90's yet and two spots have been taken up.

History is why I put Dre at #1. Breh has had his hands on everything from NWA to Kendrick Lamar. In between, he provided production for Pac, Rakim, Nas, and Jay. He was also instrumental in elevating Snoop, Eminem, and 50 to superstar status. Game was at his best over Dre beats. It's hard to name a producer he ain't influence in regard to Hip Hop.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas

dont forget larry smith

that's potentially 3 spots taken.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
History is why I put Dre at #1. Breh has had his hands on everything from NWA to Kendrick Lamar. In between, he provided production for Pac, Rakim, Nas, and Jay. He was also instrumental in elevating Snoop, Eminem, and 50 to superstar status. Game was at his best over Dre beats. It's hard to name a producer he ain't influence in regard to Hip Hop.
Dre isn't my personal favorite but I always usually put his name down first when I write out my top 5, for this very reason.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas

how many beats did dr dre actually produce or even claim to produce for 50 cent & Kendrick lamar?

the stuff he did for jay & nas wasn't jamming.

he did 2 or 3 beats for pac. one was a loop, the other was a re-hash of that snoop beat, which was prolly ghost-produced by daz.

not to mention all the beat scandals.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
larry smith

that's 3 spots taken.
Exactly. And see people on The Coli would often put Madlib and Alchemist in their top 5, and they're in my personal top 5, but objectively I always said that I thought there was too much history before them to do that. This was in the early days of The Coli. At this point though, I think they've done enough work where I wouldn't argue against that if someone had reasons to back up their argument.

They're in my objective top 10, and personal top 5. Dr. Dre for example is in my objective top 5, maybe my objective number 1, but he's not in my personal top 5.I also like Madlib better than Dilla, but I put Dilla ahead of him in my objective top 5.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
how many beats did dr dre actually produce or even claim to produce for 50 cent & Kendrick lamar?

the stuff he did for jay & nas wasn't jamming.

he did 2 or 3 beats for pac. one was a loop, the other was a re-hash of that snoop beat, which was prolly ghost-produced by daz.

not to mention all the beat scandals.
Good points. The one thing I'll say is that I never hate on loops if they're dope, because a lot of my other favorite producers have done a lot of straight loops as well. You gotta have the ear for it.

As for how much Dre actually got busy on the pads or keys, I dunno. I look at him for like a Teddy Riley/Quincy Jones producer, and less of a beatmaker. So it never bothered me too much.

I DO THINK that Dre's style got stale after 2001, and I think his style became a caricature of itself around the time of Get Rich or Die Trying and The Documentary, or at least a little bit after that.

I think he got praise that was above the work he was putting out in the mid 00's. :manny:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good points. The one thing I'll say is that I never hate on loops if they're dope, because a lot of my other favorite producers have done a lot of straight loops as well. You gotta have the ear for it.

As for how much Dre actually got busy on the pads or keys, I dunno. I look at him for like a Teddy Riley/Quincy Jones producer, and less of a beatmaker. So it never bothered me too much.

I DO THINK that Dre's style got stale after 2001, and I think his style became a caricature of itself around the time of Get Rich or Die Trying and The Documentary, or at least a little bit after that.

I think he got praise that was above the work he was putting out in the mid 00's. :manny:

The thing is production is more than just making beats. People question Dre's credentials, but he's the common denominator and pretty much every collaborator he's had hasn't been able to replicate what he's done to the degree that he did in terms of quality.