Can Somebody Help Me Understand “Blackrock” and How One Company OWNS the World?

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Just sit back and enjoy the cyberpunk reality we have going on. The stuff is out of our hands, and there are plenty of ways to live a life of abundance and happiness despite the obvious trajectory of the world leading to some sort of freakshow reality that mixes the themes of:

"They Live", "1984", "Brazil", "Farenheit 451", "Brave New World", "Animal Farm", "The Matrix", "Lord of the Flies", "Mad Max", "Soylent Green", "Idiocracy", "Judge Dredd"

This shyt is out of your control. Just wait until the LARGEST AI company starts producing military tech for the police...

Ya'll wont even have actual human police to complain about police brutality about. Itll be like Elysium where this man is talking to a robotic parole officer. :mjlol:

So, my advice is to embrace minimalism, learn to be grateful, and have fun. Oh and delete social media.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
What nobody tells you about capitalism is that by it's inherent logic of capital accumulation, in the end one person/entity will own everything.

I've tried to repeat this to the bootlickers over and over. The entire system is built on the idea that people with more money get further and further ahead of people with less money.

This bullshyt about "Well you just need to learn the system and you can win too!" is blind to what the system is. Sure, some people by the right skills or luck can carve out a place. But that will never be true for MOST people in MOST situations, because the system is explicitly designed to not only keep the top people at the top but ensure they accumulate more and more of the total resources while they're there.

The nature progress of capitalism is for the wealthiest people to gain more and more resources and control until there's either a revolution or a huge crash.

Unregulated Capitalism is bad, news at 11

They are a publically traded company.

Buy their stock, then u can be part of their evil world domination scheme

:demonic:
So how in THEE fukk is this sustainable? What the end goal? All of us become sharecropping serfs?

And, correct me if my 12th grade U.S. history education is steering me wrong, but isn’t our market supposed to have checks and balances to avoid this very thing?!
We all learned how bad monopolies are in an “alleged” free market system.

So there are supposed to be pieces of legislation that protect the market from one entity owning everything.

:lupe: But if I’m reading this shyt right and this information is true, Blackrock executives and workers hold MAJOR POLITICAL POSITIONS IN NEARLY EVERY MAJOR GOVERNMENT AROUND THE WORLD.
Just look at the U.S. ties

Former BlackRock investment executive Brian Deese leads Biden's National Economic Council, effectively serving as his top advisor on economic matters. Biden also tapped Adewale "Wally" Adeyemo, a former chief of staff to BlackRock chief executive and longtime Democrat Larry Fink, to serve as a top official at the Treasury Department.

Meanwhile Michael Pyle, BlackRock's former global chief investment strategist who had worked in the Obama administration before joining the firm, serves as chief economic advisor to Vice President Kamala Harris.
And they spend assloads on lobbying to ensure they get what they want legislatively.

razassin

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So how in THEE fukk is this sustainable? What the end goal? All of us become sharecropping serfs?

And, correct me if my 12th grade U.S. history education is steering me wrong, but isn’t our market supposed to have checks and balances to avoid this very thing?!

So there are supposed to be pieces of legislation that protect the market from one entity owning everything.

:lupe: But if I’m reading this shyt right and this information is true, Blackrock executives and workers hold MAJOR POLITICAL POSITIONS IN NEARLY EVERY MAJOR GOVERNMENT AROUND THE WORLD.

And they spend assloads on lobbying to ensure they get what they want legislatively.

China breaking up chinese tech giants right now

US broke up the railroad monopolies 100+ years ago

Thing is, the global economy has created these 500 billion + companies and breaking them up could affect a country's influence on world politics

Im pretty sure the think tanks in DC are looking for ways to break the monopolies without affecting these global companies that finally benefit the US as a world power

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I'm part of the problem i guess:yeshrug:

I work directly with Blackrock real estate investments and their Aladdin services. The pandemic was the best thing to happen to us because firms like BlackRock grew and solicited our services, like never before. The qtr bonuses are very healthly round here.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Trust busting is a real thing and still does occur, but blackrock isn't the sole entity in the space so I don't think it would activate. There are loads of firms in private equity, investment banking, and mutual funds so it's a non-issue.And the gap between blackrock AUM and it's nearest competitors,Vanguard/Fidelity AUM is still reasonable

Kinda like how Chase is the most dominant retail bank in our nation (and planet), but is allowed to exist because BOA and Wells Fargo also exist.

A modern day example of trust busting would be the recent attempt at Google or Amazon , both of which have far more share than their competitors

Last edited:

GatorStaceyAdams

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC by way of the Steel City
I think some of you are mistaken.

BLK is a HUGE asset manager, and given their ETF's, the majority of its AUM is passive.

So for example, while they may own 6.5% of the equity float for Apple, they arent actually running or directing the Company . Sure, they will have big votes when it comes to proxies or selecting directors, which is certainly important, but no different than any other ETF.

On the other hand, the PE and Real Estate guys are who y'all should be afraid of. Both of these have a stated goal of buying up businesses (actually running them), cornering the market, and pushing up prices on the consumers.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Capitalism is unsustainable on multiple levels. The constant transfer of wealth to the rich is unsustainable. The constant environmental destruction is unsustainable.

The people with power who perpetuate capitalism know this, but they also know that capitalism provides the best opportunity for them to maintain and even increase their position at the top. So they're at constant war between two impulses - the one impulse to use capitalism to increase their power, and the other impulse to reign in the system so it doesn't cause a collapse.

If they were solely focused on the consequences, without the profit motive and greed diverting them in the opposite direction, they'd work far harder to reign in the system or possibly even abandon it altogether.

Adam Smith proposed from way back when that capitalism needed strong checks or it would go bad fast. He wrote a whole book on it. But periodically the wealthy want to remove those checks for their own greed. Really the worst period that came up and destroyed our checks and balances was around the 1970s-1980s. That was when Robert Bork made his arguments against antitrust laws and how monopolies were actually good, arguments that were picked up by the courts and basically made antitrust law worthless. That was when Milton Friedman reached the height of his popularity pushing how pure and perfect the free market was and how government intervention always ruined it. That was when the emotionally stunted adolescents who had fallen in love with Ayn Rand during their teenage years were now starting to climb to positions of power and push her psychotic "Virtue of Selfishness" philosophy that worships uninhibited capitalism over everything.

As a result of those cultural pushes and likely other social and economic factors I'm unaware of, Reaganism became this dominant pro-capitalist, pro-privatization, anti-union, anti-regulation mode of government that took over America. And rich Democrats fell in love with many of the same principles and became Neoliberals. Taxes on the rich were slashed, CEO pay scales went out of control, union jobs were decimated, minimum wage stagnated, and most checks on the wealthy were ignored. Income gains of the top 1% started shooting through the roof while the lower brackets were struggling to keep up with inflation.

And that's where we find ourselves today.

Yup. In a capitalist system, people with the most money don't merely get wealthier and wealthier, they get more and more power. Your ability to influence politics is in large part a function of how much money you have. Your ability to navigate the legal system (whether you're defending yourself or suing someone else) is in large part a function of how much money you have. Your ability to access the highest level of health care is in large part a function of how much money you have. The quality of education you can access for yourself and your children is in large part a function of how much money you have. The quality of your housing, your neighborhood, your insurance, fukking everything.

Capitalism doesn't just create wealth disparities. It accentuates disparities in virtually everything.