Can Blaxploitation Be a Thing in 2018?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I legitimately think Black Panther can lead the way for the black movie industry. Think about it Brehs....Black Panther is revolutionary for black movies.
A black director with a 99% black cast with a large budget and top promotion. This is actually unprecedented for black movies

The executive producer and screenwriter are black too, along with most of the production crew.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Word? 3 Strikes or I got the hook up? I feel like blaxploitation when its working at a high level is way beyond that shyt lol

yea but in the 90s we dont have many .... and there was also more blaxploitation than the ones we like. they got some corny ones too...

Speaking of blaxploitation .. i loved Blackula

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
yea but in the 90s we dont have many .... and there was also more blaxploitation than the ones we like. they got some corny ones too...

Speaking of blaxploitation .. i loved Blackula

I wouldn’t put those in the same category tho. Maybe the issue is defining them since it seems like we all have different definitions

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
No....unless u just talking bout more movies with black "heroes" or main characters. In that sense yes. The themes of blaxploitation aren't what we need rn. I'm all for films and t.v with strong black leads but not if the subject matter is of that nature. Something like shaft is good for this time but something like dolemite is not.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Now that they gave us a full trailer that proud mary shyt looks so corny

King Poetic

Grandfather of….
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Sea
I would love to see coffy, foxy brown, sheba baby done as well

But i know Hollywood would fukked up by casting someone like zoe salanda to play pam grier and have a twist with her in love with a white man

I'll just enjoy the originals

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

RAX 010

NYG LWO METS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
I think its a great idea im even writing a script as we speak that has a Blaxpoitation/ Django type vibe
But the main problem is the sensitivity/pussification of todays audience. I blame social media personally

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think its a great idea im even writing a script as we speak that has a Blaxpoitation/ Django type vibe
But the main problem is the sensitivity/pussification of todays audience. I blame social media personally

Well its also just evolution breh. Some stuff that was okay 40 years ago isn't okay now because we've grown as a society. Seeing chicks raped and beaten and treated like trash isn't always a good idea. Just like Cary Grant pushing Katherine Hepburn down to the ground in the opening scene of the Philadelphia story. During that time when women were really seen as second class citizens, that was cool for a lot of people. But times change, as they must and always will

RAX 010

NYG LWO METS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
Well its also just evolution breh. Some stuff that was okay 40 years ago isn't okay now because we've grown as a society. Seeing chicks raped and beaten and treated like trash isn't always a good idea. Just like Cary Grant pushing Katherine Hepburn down to the ground in the opening scene of the Philadelphia story. During that time when women were really seen as second class citizens, that was cool for a lot of people. But times change, as they must and always will

More like Devolution if you ask me breh, As a society we are getting much more vicious and sadistic but when it comes to publicly addresing these issues or portraying them on film then most of us have a "see no evil monkey" approach . In 40 years all weve done is increase censorship in media imo
:yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
More like Devolution if you ask me breh, As a society we are getting much more vicious and sadistic but when it comes to publicly addresing these issues or portraying them on film then most of us have a "see no evil monkey" approach . In 40 years all weve done is increase censorship in media imo
:yeshrug:

Well you're arguing something different. I'm against censorship but I also feel like societal norms should evolve and do evolve over time. That doesn't mean that bad shyt doesn't happen because it clearly does but it does mean that some shyt just isn't cool anymore. The reason I'm on the fence about super fly is because I dont want a pimp glorified in 2018. I'm sure there are those who'd disagree and that's cool, but in the 70s, pimps and drug dealers in our community where all the rage

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
Also a satire lol. So that’s how they felt it could be done today

Okay pop quiz: how is it done right in your eyes? I feel like luke Cage is the way to do it going forward.

And right on time the super fly remake has a director and of course he comes from music videos. Not trying to diss the dude but I feel like super fly needs a lighter touch

Director X In Talks To Helm Sony’s ‘Super Fly’ Remake
they getting little x to direct it? lol