Can Blaxploitation Be a Thing in 2018?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
NOT what how I feel how it should be done right but what they should NOT do i.e Django Unchained. And I feel there can be better Blaxploitation than Luke Cage.

Of course it could be better but I think that’s the template if someone wants to do it. Infuse the music, give it style, keep it in the neighborhood, and focus on a black hero for hire

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
:patrice:

I think the problem with the idea of “modern” Blaxploitation is that the people making/trying to make it now look back on the old stuff and try and mimic it, which is why still to this day the best stuff we do nowadays is always the satire/homage to it (Black Dynamite etc.)

The music, clothes, everything was of that time. A real modern blaxploitation joint now would be like... all trap music, dreaded, tatted and shyt, but I bet if you made a movie like that, then called it Blaxploitation, people would say “it’s not the same”

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

I think the problem with the idea of “modern” Blaxploitation is that the people making/trying to make it now look back on the old stuff and try and mimic it, which is why still to this day the best stuff we do nowadays is always the satire/homage to it (Black Dynamite etc.)

The music, clothes, everything was of that time. A real modern blaxploitation joint now would be like... all trap music, dreaded, tatted and shyt, but I bet if you made a movie like that, then called it Blaxploitation, people would say “it’s not the same”

I’m hoping proud Mary finds a good medium between yesterday and today. But what you described is luke cage lol

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I’m hoping proud Mary finds a good medium between yesterday and today. But what you described is luke cage lol

True, but there’s still something backwards looking about it (and by that I mean looking back lol), like Misty Knight in flared jeans and leather jackets looking like Foxy Brown etc. The old school, Adrian Younge style soul sounding stuff. It had the Gang Starr and all that, but it still felt like a old school being new school thing.

If you were to describe a black film or show that looked and sounded of the time it was made and call it “Blaxploitation”, then technically something like Belly would qualify, wouldn’t it?

Black AF? Check.
Music of its time? Check
Visuals of its time? Check
Story relevant to its era? Check

Nothing about it was backwards or forwards looking. It was completely rooted in its time and spoke to people who were living it.

That’s what I mean. Completely modern Blaxploitation wouldn’t feel or seem like classic Blaxploitation on the surface at all. It would only be after you saw it and thought about all of its elements that you’d come to the conclusion that you just watched “Modern Blaxploitation”

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast

Well said. But then, even if they DID decide to update the genre featuring newer, more modern (and realistic) characters of OUR time...wtf would that look like? How would one really be able to distinguish that from every other straight-to-dvd hood movie available now?

It's almost impossible for any kind of genuine Blaxploitation revival to happen because it's a new era and frankly, our tolerance levels are low. We can look back on those films and even appreciate some of the fukkery because it was "of the time" but today? Oh everything would be "problematic".

Then again, think about why we participated in the genre in the first place? It's called Blaxploitation for a reason. Back then we didn't have a Tyler Perry or a Shonda Rhimes. Not saying those are necessarily THE BEST representations but you know?

If they insist on trying to call back to the 70s when the genre was big, I'd need it to be done via some sort of hardcore Black Panther Party series before anything else.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
True, but there’s still something backwards looking about it (and by that I mean looking back lol), like Misty Knight in flared jeans and leather jackets looking like Foxy Brown etc. The old school, Adrian Younge style soul sounding stuff. It had the Gang Starr and all that, but it still felt like a old school being new school thing.

If you were to describe a black film or show that looked and sounded of the time it was made and call it “Blaxploitation”, then technically something like Belly would qualify, wouldn’t it?

Black AF? Check.
Music of its time? Check
Visuals of its time? Check
Story relevant to its era? Check

Nothing about it was backwards or forwards looking. It was completely rooted in its time and spoke to people who were living it.

That’s what I mean. Completely modern Blaxploitation wouldn’t feel or seem like classic Blaxploitation on the surface at all. It would only be after you saw it and thought about all of its elements that you’d come to the conclusion that you just watched “Modern Blaxploitation”
:ohhh: Belly is modern blaxploitation. Holy shyt. You just blew my mind.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
:ohhh: Belly is modern blaxploitation. Holy shyt. You just blew my mind.

Breh, Belly was 1998. In this era, real modern Blackploitation is Snow on the Bluff, Money & Violence etc.

That's what I meant when I said "if you made a movie like that, then called it Blaxploitation, people would say “it’s not the same”" and that's what @Contrefaire is saying, too

Well said. But then, even if they DID decide to update the genre featuring newer, more modern (and realistic) characters of OUR time...wtf would that look like? How would one really be able to distinguish that from every other straight-to-dvd hood movie available now?

It's almost impossible for any kind of genuine Blaxploitation revival to happen because it's a new era and frankly, our tolerance levels are low. We can look back on those films and even appreciate some of the fukkery because it was "of the time" but today? Oh everything would be "problematic".

Then again, think about why we participated in the genre in the first place? It's called Blaxploitation for a reason. Back then we didn't have a Tyler Perry or a Shonda Rhimes. Not saying those are necessarily THE BEST representations but you know?

If they insist on trying to call back to the 70s when the genre was big, I'd need it to be done via some sort of hardcore Black Panther Party series before anything else.

The only way you'd be able to distinguish true "quality" from the straight-to-Netflix/YouTube shyt would be to simply produce something truly excellent. Like on a Moonlight level, minus the melodrama. Pick a 70s Blaxploitation film, break down the story beats (not the storyline, but the actual beats), then recreate it beat for beat.

Then either you'd have to do it again, or co-sign/work with the person who did the next truly great one, then you'd have a movement going. Then eventually you'd have true, Modern Blaxploitation.

So to answer your question @MartyMcFly - no
VY2wmdR.png

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Breh, Belly was 1998. In this era, real modern Blackploitation is Snow on the Bluff, Money & Violence etc.

That's what I meant when I said "if you made a movie like that, then called it Blaxploitation, people would say “it’s not the same”" and that's what @Contrefaire is saying, too

The only way you'd be able to distinguish true "quality" from the straight-to-Netflix/YouTube shyt would be to simply produce something truly excellent. Like on a Moonlight level, minus the melodrama. Pick a 70s Blaxploitation film, break down the story beats (not the storyline, but the actual beats), then recreate it beat for beat.

Then either you'd have to do it again, or co-sign/work with the person who did the next truly great one, then you'd have a movement going. Then eventually you'd have true, Modern Blaxploitation.

So to answer your question @MartyMcFly - no
VY2wmdR.png

Yup and this is how I feel. So it wouldn't be blaxploitation. It would just be something else entirely. Besides the fact blaxploitation flicks are just grindhouse flicks

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Yup and this is how I feel. So it wouldn't be blaxploitation. It would just be something else entirely. Besides the fact blaxploitation flicks are just grindhouse flicks

70s - pimps, hoes, fiends, furs, clubs, jive, funk
Now - dreads, tatts, dopeboys, strippers/bartenders, lean, mumble/trap

Trapsploitation is what it would be.

And just like some people in the 70s didn't like Blaxploitation, people now would not like Trapsploitation lol

And if left to the wrong storytellers, it wouldn't even get off the ground before it had a chance to flourish.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
70s - pimps, hoes, fiends, furs, clubs, jive, funk
Now - dreads, tatts, dopeboys, strippers/bartenders, lean, mumble/trap

Trapsploitation is what it would be.

And just like some people in the 70s didn't like Blaxploitation, people now would not like Trapsploitation lol

And if left to the wrong storytellers, it wouldn't even get off the ground before it had a chance to flourish.

Welp guess we'll find out what happens when Director X (actual professional name) unleashes super fly on the world

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
"it just wouldnt be right...
if we didnt get some new Black Dynamite!"
*Bullhorn voice

:lolbron:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

I thing it would be pretty much what we call "hood" movies ... the 90s hood movies is our generations Blaxploitation.. don't be a menace, 3 strikes, paid in fall, I got the hook up ...etc...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I thing it would be pretty much what we call "hood" movies ... the 90s hood movies is our generations Blaxploitation.. don't be a menace, 3 strikes, paid in fall, I got the hook up ...etc...

Word? 3 Strikes or I got the hook up? I feel like blaxploitation when its working at a high level is way beyond that shyt lol