Can Blaxploitation Be a Thing in 2018?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This is something I’ve been thinking about for a minute. We’ve got another shaft flick on the way, a super fly remake coming, proud Mary hits in January and a foxy brown tv show in the works along with a Get Christie Love tv show coming soon. And of course proud Mary hits in January :wow:

But I keep wondering if it’s possible to translate blaxploitation for modern audiences since it’s so of its time and era. The Christie Love remake may be the best way to go about it but I’m still on the fence. Luke Cage may be the best version of an updated blaxploitation motif actually and I’d love if everything took that route. But I don’t think I want to see Super Fly anymore.

So what day the coli? Is this something we want or should it be the product of a bygone era?

Also here’s an article on the subject with a few African American professors and historians giving their opinions

Can Hollywood Successfully Revive Blaxploitation Cinema For Modern Audiences?

Breh Obama

First Breh President. Coli Prophet.
Daps
Reppin
Leader of the righteous Brehs!
I legitimately think Black Panther can lead the way for the black movie industry. Think about it Brehs....Black Panther is revolutionary for black movies.
A black director with a 99% black cast with a large budget and top promotion. This is actually unprecedented for black movies

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
I don't think they could get away with the extreme violence against women that those og movies got away with:patrice:
Many of those movies dealt with pimp/hoe relationships and white dudes raping black women and some of them were comedies:dwillhuh:
Foxy Brown actually gets shot up with heroin and raped in the middle of her movie:gucci:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I legitimately think Black Panther can lead the way for the black movie industry. Think about it Brehs....Black Panther is revolutionary for black movies.
A black director with a 99% black cast with a large budget and top promotion. This is actually unprecedented for black movies

Different from blaxploitation tho. Black panther is a whole different breed of animal. That will lead to one thing much like get out hopefully will. But I’m talking more of the stuff I mentioned. And proud Mary specially

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't think they could get away with the extreme violence against women that those og movies got away with:patrice:
Many of those movies dealt with pimp/hoe relationships and white dudes raping black women and some of them were comedies:dwillhuh:
Foxy Brown actually gets shot up with heroin and raped in the middle of her movie:gucci:

Yeah that’s the part where you have to update. You can take the aesthetic and thematic element of empowering the black community and empowering black neighborhoods but leave a lot of that out.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast

Lmao, I hate to laugh but I mean for real. Half those movies were half naked black women being backhanded repeatedly and dragged around by their roots.

That said, I'd be here for a new wave of black films, but Blaxploitation? Meh. I'd want the power and black badassery of those films without the ridiculous, negative stereotypes. I don't need any 'women in prison' or Mandingo pimp-ho tales.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
We had Black dynamite which is a classic to me...ive been hoping for a sequel or some shyt

Also a satire lol. So that’s how they felt it could be done today
If done right then of course.

Okay pop quiz: how is it done right in your eyes? I feel like luke Cage is the way to do it going forward.

And right on time the super fly remake has a director and of course he comes from music videos. Not trying to diss the dude but I feel like super fly needs a lighter touch

Director X In Talks To Helm Sony’s ‘Super Fly’ Remake

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Also a satire lol. So that’s how they felt it could be done today

Okay pop quiz: how is it done right in your eyes? I feel like luke Cage is the way to do it going forward.

And right on time the super fly remake has a director and of course he comes from music videos. Not trying to diss the dude but I feel like super fly needs a lighter touch

Director X In Talks To Helm Sony’s ‘Super Fly’ Remake
NOT what how I feel how it should be done right but what they should NOT do i.e Django Unchained. And I feel there can be better Blaxploitation than Luke Cage.