Cam Newton ain’t buying the hype with NFL QBs

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Cam was good, sometimes great and had more than "one good year" but he's also being propped up in this thread. His career QB rating was 85. Kaepernick had a better QB rating, more playoff success than Cam and the niners beat the Panthers when it mattered... but nobody here props up Kaep at all. :mjgrin:

Oooh they won't like that. I remember making the exact same argument years ago that at the time time they were pretty similar statistically but Cam is celebrated and Kaep was average.

premier58

All Star
Daps
So you believe early career Tom Brady was routinely putting up elite production?

When you watch this with your actual eyes, do you honestly believe this is beyond what Purdy has shown himself to be capable of?

Brady was 1st in tds and 6th in yards in his second season starting. With no pro bowlers around. For context, SF has three weapons(Deebo, Kittle, BA)who were better than his best(Troy Brown). Brady then finished 3rd in MVP voting with a horrible running attack.

premier58

All Star
Daps
We live in a time where production at the qb position is at an all time high. I don’t subscribe to any of the Brady references.
Exactly. One of my biggest pet peeves is comparing passing numbers from different eras. Type of guys to think Kirk Cousins is better than Roger Staubach or some shyt. They dont realize that Teddy Bridgewater and Baker Mayfield have better career passer ratings than Dan Marino and Brett Favre. Geno Smith had betterstats last season than Peyton Manning during his first MVP season in 2003. Surface level analysis

premier58

All Star
Daps
You're trying to compare Tom Brady with 23 seasons under his belt to Brock Purdy with 1.5 seasons under his belt. You have to compare them at the same point in their career. You say the comparison is bad because Brady always made good reads and throws, yet as I pointed out upthread Brady actually had a higher interception percentage than Brock at this point in his career, and he had a 64% completion rate to Brock's 68%. Brady had an 87 QB rating to Brock's 111.

You say Purdy doesn't give the overall sense of a great QB. Ok, and no one was deathly afraid of Tom Brady at the start of the 2003 season either. No one was saying Brady was going to be an all time GOAT after his 21st game. Only guys I can think of who got that designation to start their careers are Mahomes and Luck. Hell, even Stroud is on a better trajectory than Brady was.

That's an interesting comp with Eli though. Could be true! Brady didn't become a GOAT by throwing for 5000 yards every year of his career like Mahomes, he became a GOAT by starting his career doing exactly what Purdy did last night. Clutch, game winning drives that are designed to produce wins and rings not first team all-pros and MVPs.
I was with your Brock support until you started comparing the inflated numbers of the post 2011 NFL to the early 2000's NFL. Totally different era. Brett Favre and Dan Marino have career QB ratings of 86 and they were dominant statistical QBs. Wack analysis. No nuance, no context.for era etc...

premier58

All Star
Daps
Adding on, Steve McNair shared MVP with Peyton in 2003, with 3201 passing yards and 24 td vs 7 int. Excellent numbers for that era. Carson Wents got ostracized for throwing 27 td vs 7 ints in 2021. Stats are totally different now and have been for a while..Peyton made the Pro Bowl in 2002 with 27 td vs 19 int. No one question it, at all!! That was the game!! For like 25 years, the only rookie QBs who played excellent ball were Dan Marino and Big Ben. Matt Ryan was solid/good a lilater in 2008. Post 2011, rookie QBs began imediate production to the rule changes becoming more and more ingrained. Cam Newton and Andy Dalton. 2012, we had three rookie standouts at QB(Luck, RG3, Wilson). Look at what Dak did as a rook. Or Mayfield and Herbert. Peyton Manning was more pro ready than all of them and he had 26 td/28 ints as a rookie. The game was different and the stats should be placed within the context of their eras. 4000 yards passing hasnt been a milestone since like 2010.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Love beat the shyt out of the Cowboys and everyone gassed him. Cool. Last night he was terrible, whole second half deer in headlights and threw two awful picks.

But somehow the focus is on Purdy's performance. :pachaha: You motherfukkers are see through as it gets :manny:
He was only bad the last 3 series. Rest of the game he was balling. Just like how Purdy was trash most the game until the final series. Love is building experience. U cant learn experiencd on the sideline. Stop hating.

U brought this upon yourself by dikk riding Purdy when no one was including him as a top QB. Now after that shyt performance and the Packers giving the game away u wanna talk like he did something good with all the weapons he has? And shyt on a young breh who has a brighter future then Brock? :camby:

Last edited:

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
Brady was 1st in tds and 6th in yards in his second season starting. With no pro bowlers around. For context, SF has three weapons(Deebo, Kittle, BA)who were better than his best(Troy Brown). Brady then finished 3rd in MVP voting with a horrible running attack.
ok great, Brady was 1st in TDs and 6th in yards at the same time Brock is 3rd in TDs, 5th in yards, and 1st in QBR/QB rating and will probably finish in the top 3 in MVP voting as well...sounds pretty comparable to me.

The supporting cast/weapons is a completely fair point, and is actually the best point in Brady's direction. But it's the exact same argument that was deployed in the Manning vs Brady debate, and I don't remember ANYONE saying it was ridiculous or disrespectful to compare the two.

I'm not even saying Brock has done better than Brady, I'm pushing back on the narrative that it's insane to say Brock and Brady are doing similar things at this point in their career. That's nostalgia-tinted glasses crap. People are acting like Brady was Mahomes in his early career, he didn't even make a first team all-pro until his 7th year in the league. He was a smart, efficient QB who took what the defense gave him and relied on his own defense, not some hero ball Marino, Favre, Mahomes QB.

Exactly. One of my biggest pet peeves is comparing passing numbers from different eras. Type of guys to think Kirk Cousins is better than Roger Staubach or some shyt. They dont realize that Teddy Bridgewater and Baker Mayfield have better career passer ratings than Dan Marino and Brett Favre. Geno Smith had betterstats last season than Peyton Manning during his first MVP season in 2003. Surface level analysis
Comparing raw passing scale numbers across eras IS ridiculous and one of my biggest pet peeves as well. Which is why you'll note that I've never compared their amount of yards or TDs. The only raw numbers I've compared are completion percentages, QB rating, and "wins" (not a QB stat!) which are the most cross-era transferrable stats. I've been comparing them on their season rankings on stats, just like you did by mentioning Brady being 1st in TDs and 6th in yards. I also broke down their actual game (accuracy, processing, clutch gene) when making the comparison. The surface level analysis is the people responding to stats and film by going "...nah".

Last edited:

premier58

All Star
Daps
@King Kreole I am a huge Purdy fan. Do not misconstrue that. I have dapped the vast majority of messages in regards to him. He is an excellent young.QB..his film is phenomenal. I really dislike the nitpicking of his game, it is really garbage. He is extremely good. I am sick of ppl using preconceived notions against him. As well as the surrounding talent.

premier58

All Star
Daps
@King Kreole I am a huge Purdy fan. Do not misconstrue that. I have dapped the vast majority of messages in regards to him. He is an excellent young.QB..his film is phenomenal. I really dislike the nitpicking of his game, it is really garbage. He is extremely good. I am sick of ppl using preconceived notions against him. As well as the surrounding talent.
@King Kreole some of your points are suspect and reeks of a guy who wasnt there at the time. Just because he didnt come out like Mahomes, doesnt he wasnt immediately good and became very good to great, quickly. Usually guys who come on the scene and light it up have amazing supporting casts. Such as Warner in 99, Culpepper in 2000, Mahomes in 2018. Look at the All Pros those guys had. You think if Brady entered the league with the slanted passing rules woth Justin.Jefferson and Antonio Gates with Mike Shanahan as the Offensive mastermind, he wouldnt wreak.havoc on the league? Brady had a great running game one time in his first four years, 2004 when Dillon came over and had a career year. His running game during that entire period was mostly ineffective. How are you simply managing the offense when they could barely run the ball? Makes no sense. Who was leading the offense. You said 1st team All Pro, well he made 2nd team. There is one QB on each team..so.being considered a top 2 QB is pretty impressive,.no? Esp when the guy ahead of you has 2 HOF WRs and a HOF RB and you have neither. He was called a living legend in 2005 by Ronde Barber. Monte Kiffin said some of those throws...that quarterback is unbelievable!! Called the best QB in the league by several legitimate sources. Was it the consensus? No, but he was considered top 2 or 3 by everyone. Theismann called him a hybrid of Marino and Moon before SB 39 at the end of the 2004 season. By that time of 2005, Madden, Michael Lewis, Jon Gruden, Sterling Sharpe had called.him the best QB in the league. I am in agreeance with the praise of Purdy. He is special in my eyes. What he did this year was mindboggling!! I feel you are underrating early Brady, though. He was always praised as great in real time from 2003 on......Peyton Mannings own teammate even said whats better than beating Tom Brady to go to a Superbowl in the 2006 season.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
Nah I don't think you have an anti-Purdy agenda. I actually view this as more of a Brady discussion than a Purdy discussion. People generally underrate Purdy but I think the bigger issue is they're overrating early Brady.

@King Kreole some of your points are suspect and reeks of a guy who wasnt there at the time. Just because he didnt come out like Mahomes, doesnt he wasnt immediately good and became very good to great, quickly. Usually guys who come on the scene and light it up have amazing supporting casts. Such as Warner in 99, Culpepper in 2000, Mahomes in 2018. Look at the All Pros those guys had. You think if Brady entered the league with the slanted passing rules woth Justin.Jefferson and Antonio Gates with Mike Shanahan as the Offensive mastermind, he wouldnt wreak.havoc on the league? Brady had a great running game one time in his first four years, 2004 when Dillon came over and had a career year. His running game during that entire period was mostly ineffective. How are you simply managing the offense when they could barely run the ball? Makes no sense. Who was leading the offense. You said 1st team All Pro, well he made 2nd team. There is one QB on each team..so.being considered a top 2 QB is pretty impressive,.no? Esp when the guy ahead of you has 2 HOF WRs and a HOF RB and you have neither. He was called a living legend in 2005 by Ronde Barber. Monte Kiffin said some of those throws...that quarterback is unbelievable!! Called the best QB in the league by several legitimate sources. Was it the consensus? No, but he was considered top 2 or 3 by everyone. Theismann called him a hybrid of Marino and Moon before SB 39 at the end of the 2004 season. By that time of 2005, Madden, Michael Lewis, Jon Gruden, Sterling Sharpe had called.him the best QB in the league. I am in agreeance with the praise of Purdy. He is special in my eyes. What he did this year was mindboggling!! I feel you are underrating early Brady, though. He was always praised as great in real time from 2003 on......Peyton Mannings own teammate even said whats better than beating Tom Brady to go to a Superbowl in the 2006 season.
My argument isn't that Brady wasn't immediately good (he was, just like Brock has been immediately good), it's that he wasn't immediately great. The first truly great season he had was 2007. Before that, it was the rings that were boosting his profile. I'm not playing hypotheticals, I'm looking at their actual careers. Early Brady was managing the offense because he didn't fundamentally change the nature of their offense like a Mahomes or Lamar or Marino, he played within the system and elevated the play of the other players around him. That doesn't mean he wasn't good! He just wasn't doing anything markedly better than Brock has been doing. Quality of supporting cast is the biggest difference, but not enough to kill the comparison. If Brock keeps playing at this level, he'll get all that praise Brady received by his 5th season too.

premier58

All Star
Daps
2007 was not Bradys first great year. He alresdy 2 top 3 MVP finishes, had the league in tds in one year and led the league in passing yards another year. I recall Brady for 12/12 168 yards in a 4th qtr to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. Does your out of context stats show that Brady played the last 5 games of 2002 with a separated shoulder which he ended up having an operation on? He wouldve easily had 4000 and 30 td, when that was a real achievement. Brady didnt change the offense? They had an unheard of 25 straight dropbacks against Pittsburgh on MNF in the 02 season opener. What does Kiffin saying that the throws that QB makes are unbelievable have to do with rings? What does Theismann calling him a hybrid of Moon and Marino have to do with rings? You still think passing stats from different era are directly comparable. None of them are!! Comp pct, ratings, td/int ratio, nothing. The passing game is not the same. 4,110 yards and 26 tds were 1st.and 3rd in 2005. Thats how it should be judged, but according to you, its not a great season. If you know about advanced stats, Brady and Manning are the two.best QBs ever. Check out EPA and DYAR. These are stats wirh context, nuance and insight. Youre not gonna convince me that Geno Smith had a better season than 2003 PeytonManning.because of raw numbers, due to era. Im done with this convo. I literally watched the mans' entire career and youre acting like I am making shyt up. Peace.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
@CHICAGO time to stop talkin football OG

:mjlol:ALL HE DID WAS MAKE
A FEW GOOD SCRAMBLES.

DO YOU REALLY WATCH THESE GAMES?

YOU GIVING CREDIT FOR THE LIONS