California reparations bill to be signed into law today at 5pm

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
This is a state bill to try to figure out what the state can do for and about reparations. In what way was it involved in slavery and jim crow. California being a free state does need to see how it was involved in those areas and figure out what it can do. It's a state they can't print money like the Fed.

HR40 is a national bill. A national bill that does not guarantee reparations and doesn't already acknowledge that the US gov't has already acknowledge its prime role in the slavery and jim crow is flawed from the beginning. Any language that allows anyone but Aframs to receive reparations is again flawed and needs to be fixed. Especially in a time when the black population is not 98% Afram like it was up until 1980 and has shifted greatly.

It just needs to be updated to better reflect the times.

Wrong, USA is ONLY responsible for USA slave ancestors...so ONLY ADOS should benifit from it.

If most African immgrants came here after 1980 how the should they be able to benifit...they shouldn't.....this is a ADOS claim against the USA.
Nothing more nothing less

Daps
120515376_10223618238225128_8999833299886913272_o.jpg

what does this mean to this thread? she has sponsored this same exact bill as the one in this thread, the one and only time it was introduced to the US senate. :jbhmm:

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
what does this mean to this thread? she has sponsored this same exact bill as the one in this thread, the one and only time it was introduced to the US senate. :jbhmm:

The difference is, the study and detail will involve the top ADOS economists dr.darity, and other ADOS advocate an lawyer Antonio moore, and other ados=this will be done by the people who it affects the most.:salute:

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Wrong, USA is ONLY responsible for USA slave ancestors...so ONLY ADOS should benifit from it.

If most African immgrants came here after 1980 how the should they be able to benifit...they shouldn't.....this is a ADOS claim against the USA.

African immigrants are less than 5% of the Black US population, where is he getting the idea of this so called great shift?

Daps
The difference is, the study and detail will involve the top ADOS economists dr.darity, and other ADOS advocate an lawyer Antonio moore, and other ados=this will be done by the people who it affects the most.:salute:

ok, idk what that has to do with Kamala.

But as far as who gets appointed, this is what the law says....

Article 3. Membership

(a) The Task Force shall consist of nine members, appointed as follows:

(1) Five members shall be appointed by the Governor.
(2) Two members shall be appointed by the President pro Tempore of the Senate and two members shall be appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly.​
(b) The Governor’s appointees shall include all of the following:
(1) One appointee from the field of academia that has expertise in civil rights.
(2) Two appointees from major civil society and reparations organizations that have historically championed the cause of reparatory justice.
(c) Not more than four appointees shall be Members of the Legislature.​
(d) Members shall be drawn from diverse backgrounds to represent the interests of communities of color throughout the state, have experience working to implement racial justice reform, and, to the extent possible, represent geographically diverse areas of the state.​

according to part c, i don't think it's going to be just black people, and idk if tonetalks meets the qualifications. what does he do? i looked at his linkedin it just say "attorney". anyway this thread just gets more and more confusing, the more i google lol. im just gonna go meme some rap news! happy friday

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
We all just have to be supportive and ignore - it's hard though -- cause they lie and troll all day.

What states are you interested in? I may have a direct contact. Many are working with ADOS historians and local and state reps. So, they can put you on the right track.

Here is some Twitter handles. Some Twitter handles have been changed, suspended or closed -- and if the one you need has been - let me know - and I will find the new contact.

Also, you can reach out to:
The Black American D.O.S. Caucus
https://twitter.com/BlackAmCaucus

and the FB Group is good for contacts too:
ADOS: American Descendants of Slavery

#ADOS is online AND in states across the USA- Join us on Twitter- #ADOS

ADOS New York City
https://www.ados.nyc/

ADOS Bay Area(San Francisco):

ADOSBAYAREA (@JWilla5) | Twitter

ADOS Cincinnati:
Adoscincinnati (@adoscincinnati) | Twitter

ADOS Detroit:
https://twitter.com/Dvellyz

ADOS Chicago:

Chicago ADOS (@xks2012) | Twitter

ADOS Lake County Illinois
@ADOSLakeCounty_IL (@adoslakecounty) | Twitter

ADOS Houston:
ADOS Houston (@AdosHouston) | Twitter

ADOS Charlotte:
ADOS Charlotte (@AdosCharlotte) | Twitter

ADOS Pittsburgh:
Pittsburgh ADOS (@AdosPittsburgh) | Twitter

ADOS New Jersey:
ADOS NJ (@ados_nj) | Twitter

ADOS Atlanta:
ADOS Atlanta (@AdosAtlanta) | Twitter

ADOS New Orleans:
ADOS NOLA (@adosnola) | Twitter

ADOS L.A.
ADOS L.A. (@ADOSLosAngeles) | Twitter

ADOS Alabama:
ALADOS (@AL_ADOS) | Twitter

Coastal ADOS-Savannah:
CoastalADOS (@ADOS_Savannah) | Twitter

ADOS Dallas(DFW):
ADOS-Dallas (DFW) (@AdosDallas) | Twitter

ADOS Columbus, OH:
ADOS Columbus (@adoscolumbus) | Twitter

ADOS DMV:
ADOS DMV (@AdosDmv) | Twitter

ADOS Oklahoma:
OKADOS (@OKADOS405) | Twitter

ADOS Philadelphia, PA:
officialADOSPhilly (@USADOSphilly) | Twitter

ADOS Orlando:
ADOSOrlando (@AdosOrlando) | Twitter

ADOS Akron, OH:
ADOS AKRON (@AdosAkron) | Twitter

ADOS San Diego:
San Diego ADOS (@ados_san) | Twitter

ADOS West Palm Beach:
ADOS West Palm Beach (@adoswpb) | Twitter

ADOS Florida:
Florida A.D.O.S (@AdosFl) | Twitter

ADOS Southern California:
ADOSSoCal (@adossocal) | Twitter

ADOS Louisiana:
ADOS_LOUISIANA (@AdosLouisiana) | Twitter

Triangle ADOS(Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill):
Triangle ADOS (@ados_triangle) | Twitter

ADOS Baltimore
ADOSBALTIMORE (@ADOS_BALTIMORE) | Twitter

ADOS Connecticut

ADOS Las Vegas
ADOS Las Vegas (@AdosVegas) | Twitter

EWjmluPU0AAW1OK

***-There are other chapters out there, but either they are not on twitter yet or I just don't know their twitter handle....Indianapolis, Phoenix)

ADOS in Florida

Shifting the dialogue to lineage

EWyrBz0WsAUc2AR
I wish there was a Mississippi chapter.

I was born and spent most of my life in NC, but spent my teenage years in the Sipp. My ancestry on my daddy’s side starts in Columbus, MS; I consider myself a Mississippian. For all the bs black Americans have been through in this state, we deserved to get what is owed. I’m going to relay this news to all my folks that I know down there, and hopefully we can get a chapter started. I know of a few folks that agree with what ADOS is saying

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I wish there was a Mississippi chapter.

I was born and spent most of my life in NC, but spent my teenage years in the Sipp. My ancestry on my daddy’s side starts in Columbus, MS; I consider myself a Mississippian. For all the bs black Americans have been through in this state, we deserved to get what is owed. I’m going to relay this news to all my folks that I know down there, and hopefully we can get a chapter started. I know of a few folks that agree with what ADOS is saying

It is. You have to @ them for chapter contacts and meeting info.

ADOS Mississippi (@MississippiAdos) on Twitter

That list is about 4-6 months old and needs to be updated. Many chapters have websites now.

When I get time, I'll go through and update it.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
In Houston they’ve set the start date as 1776

you have to have one slave ancestor AND you have to have claimed black/African American for every year over the past 12 years.

they don’t distinguish between black and biracial, I’m definitely not happy about that. If you have a white parent you shouldn’t get the same amount.

How are they setting the start date at 1776? This is problematic to me: a)most black people can't trace our ancestry back even that far, and b)black folk were enslaved for over 150 years before 1776 in America, so what is the purpose of 1776 as the start date? I dont get it...

I did some more reading on Cali's reparations guide. I admire the ambition. The task force will convene by 06/01/2021 and will present its findings and results by 06/01/2022. So we are 20 months out at minimum from finding out the determinations of the task force...

I guess my pessimism sets in because these things continuously get delayed, and because we as a people are literally hundreds of years overdue for reparations. But I appreciate the ambition and on the optimistic side, that they will seriously study it...

The big thing that jumps out to me if it becomes a determination to provide reparations, are a)who is eligible for them, and b)how will they provide it to us. And this committee gonna have they work cut out determining both...

To start with, they won't please everyone regardless of the findings, so you have to know that going in. My grandma thinks they are gonna limit it to current California residents, since there are too many black Cali expats across the nation to account for. Which, if thats the choice, it would seem a cop out to save money since presently there are only 2 million Black Californians, and probably close to that many of us living around the country. They not gonna wanna be accountable for all Black Californians...

Then there's the thing that if they are studying the effects that Cali played on black residents and families, just doing it for current black residents is strange since many of the black residents are 1st or 2nd generation, why are we rewarding them but not those who have long lineage in Cali and thus have felt the effects of racism on black families in California? I'm the third generation of my mother's side (my mom's kids) that are Black Californians, and on my dad's side we are at least 4 generations in (his paternal grandparents date to Great Depression-era Oakland) and probably longer, thats just as far as we can trace it...

Determining who is "in" is gonna be a major source of stress for the committee...

As far as who's black enough to qualify, that shyt is gonna be stressful too. For sure if you don't have a record of identifying as black, that has to be considered, even if technically you have blackness. I wonder how that would impact my maternal grandma, whose mom was a white woman from Sacramento. She's been black her entire life but will there be some exclusion since her mother was white?

Overall I'm all for it and love Newsom as a governor and yhe spirit of California historically being a political trendsetter in America. Of course I hope it passes but I won't hold my breath on it, particularly given no decision will come down until Summer '22 at the earliest anyway...

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps

Why are you telling me I'm wrong, then repeating what I said? :what:

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
How are they setting the start date at 1776? This is problematic to me: a)most black people can't trace our ancestry back even that far, and b)black folk were enslaved for over 150 years before 1776 in America, so what is the purpose of 1776 as the start date? I dont get it...

I did some more reading on Cali's reparations guide. I admire the ambition. The task force will convene by 06/01/2021 and will present its findings and results by 06/01/2022. So we are 20 months out at minimum from finding out the determinations of the task force...

I guess my pessimism sets in because these things continuously get delayed, and because we as a people are literally hundreds of years overdue for reparations. But I appreciate the ambition and on the optimistic side, that they will seriously study it...

The big thing that jumps out to me if it becomes a determination to provide reparations, are a)who is eligible for them, and b)how will they provide it to us. And this committee gonna have they work cut out determining both...

To start with, they won't please everyone regardless of the findings, so you have to know that going in. My grandma thinks they are gonna limit it to current California residents, since there are too many black Cali expats across the nation to account for. Which, if thats the choice, it would seem a cop out to save money since presently there are only 2 million Black Californians, and probably close to that many of us living around the country. They not gonna wanna be accountable for all Black Californians...

Then there's the thing that if they are studying the effects that Cali played on black residents and families, just doing it for current black residents is strange since many of the black residents are 1st or 2nd generation, why are we rewarding them but not those who have long lineage in Cali and thus have felt the effects of racism on black families in California? I'm the third generation of my mother's side (my mom's kids) that are Black Californians, and on my dad's side we are at least 4 generations in (his paternal grandparents date to Great Depression-era Oakland) and probably longer, thats just as far as we can trace it...

Determining who is "in" is gonna be a major source of stress for the committee...

As far as who's black enough to qualify, that shyt is gonna be stressful too. For sure if you don't have a record of identifying as black, that has to be considered, even if technically you have blackness. I wonder how that would impact my maternal grandma, whose mom was a white woman from Sacramento. She's been black her entire life but will there be some exclusion since her mother was white?

Overall I'm all for it and love Newsom as a governor and yhe spirit of California historically being a political trendsetter in America. Of course I hope it passes but I won't hold my breath on it, particularly given no decision will come down until Summer '22 at the earliest anyway...

I'm born in cali, my dad also, and his mother graduated from high school in oakland..that's jim crow era for both on them...my mom as been in cali since the mid 60's that's jim crow so I think I'd you endured the jim crow era that should be worth something, especially since both my parents were involved in race riots during the early 70's.

Think you should be cali born, and have lived in cali at least 20 years, claimed black and have slave ancestry

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm born in cali, my dad also, and his mother graduated from high school in oakland..that's jim crow era for both on them...my mom as been in cali since the mid 60's that's jim crow so I think I'd you endured the jim crow era that should be worth something, especially since both my parents were involved in race riots during the early 70's.

Think you should be cali born, and have lived in cali at least 20 years, claimed black and have slave ancestry

Yeah there should be some generational weight placed on what defines you as a Californian, relevant to reparations. Everyone black deserves it period, but as i said my grandma feels like they are gonna limit it to current residents, which would be a slap in the face to those of us who don't live in California but are from there and come from a line of multi generational black families, as opposed to those of us who are black in Cali but are new, either first generation or second generation...

Thats all speculation anyway, its way too soon to know where they are leaning on this. As I said I'm 3rd generation on my maternal side and on my paternal side we can at the very least trace it back to the Great Depression. Me not being a current resident shouldn't exclude me whatsoever...

On these white sites they are mocking how they are gonna make a determination of who is black. Which isn't all that hard to me, because again you instantly should be aware this isn't gonna be all inclusive. Somebody is gonna be left out, but these nonblacks making a mockery of the shyt like if you have black cousins or a black great grandparent or some shyt, this part isn't terribly hard...

Defining who counts as a Californian will be harder. As to who is black enough to qualify:

•if you have two black parents, you qualify. No grey area there...

•if you self-identify as black and have at least one black parent, you qualify (instantly axe the Rachel Dolezals who will try to identify as black but don't have one black parent). I do think there should be a history, it has to be validated through your tax statements or Census records or medical or whatever, but people can't cheat by knowing they have black lineage and voluntarily labeling themselves as something else, then trying to dip into reparations. fukk all that...

•someone mentioned if you have a nonblack parent you should be disqualified, but I disagree. People get to choose self-identification, but they don't get to choose who their parents are/were. Like I said my paternal grandmother had a white mother. She'll be 68 on Monday, spent 7 years as a Panther and has identified as a black woman her entire life. Not "other" or "mixed", but black...

My maternal grandmother will be 71 at the end of the month and is Black Creole, as are her children and grandchildren by extension. She doesn't identify as "mixed" or "other" even though we all know Creole is heavy on the white intermix...

So saying people who have a nonblack parent should be disqualified just doesn't fly with me, you didn't pick your parents...

To circle it back though, all of our birth records, tax statements, etc will show if we are AfrAm or another black ethnicity. If you're from a multigenerational black California family you should qualify, because your family has endured the stresses of being black in California, period....