Calif. group votes to limit reparations to slave descendants

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Limiting to lineage makes total sense from a federal standpoint as well as for most former slave owning states, but in the case of California, where the vast majority of Black residents reached the state in the 20th century, how does one prove that descendants of US slavery suffered more discriminatory practices from the state than Black immigrants?

Couldn’t the state counter-argue this? My big concern here is that this debate over an already small segment of California’s Black population could allow the state to wiggle their way into limiting the reparation to only those who can trace their family in the STATE to the 19th century, which would take out the vast majority of California’s Black population.

Am I tripping here? If so please let me know.
:heh:

Call in tomorrow -- and voice your concerns. But, they wouldn't have to be living in California during that time but be the descendent of the enslaved in the U.S. -- because of the Great Migration I & II. They are working all that out. Tomorrow the Economist, lawyers and experts are on the task force call to start on the scope. So, call in and voice your concerns please.

California, a "Free State" Sanctioned Slavery - California Historical Society

History of African Americans in Los Angeles - Wikipedia

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We are working with the DOJ to find other ways for descendents to prove their eligibility as well. We will be working with the DOJ, Census, Records for that. So, if by chance you can't find atleast one ancestor on the 1870 census -- which would be very unlikely -- there are other ways.
M’y ancestor dipped to Liberia in 1835, do you think I will be entitled to reparations?

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
@im_sleep How about fukk YOU and your laughing Drake smile.

Go somewhere instead and laugh at some Holocaust survivors and their descendants instead. Go see where that gets you.
First off you weird emotional bytch, I’m from California. Can name you every county my fam was enslaved in this country on top of that. I been about this long before most you nikkas gave a damn about any of this shyt.

The laugh emoji represented me feeling like I’m in the twilight zone for not celebrating so fast like everyone else.

Which brings me right back to one our biggest issues now. Basement dwelling emotional nikkas like you fukking up the whole movement out of concern over the WRONG shyt.

Now either address the question I posed so we can have a real conversation about this or STFU with the reactionary bullshyt.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
M’y ancestor dipped to Liberia in 1835, do you think I will be entitled to reparations?

You gotta have more than just one, meaning -- I don't think you only have ONE ancestor right? Someone in your family stayed right?

Look on the census -- but I am not sure. Under the guidelines - I do not think so.

Email:

I am not sure though. I am sure it will be special cases -- but I am not sure.

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Depends on proposed criteria.

One criteria proposed by Carnell says that lineage need to be tied to the experience of slavery in the US and also the experiemce that followed after going from emancipation and reconstruction to Jim Crow

Last edited:

JackRoss

Veteran
Daps
You gotta listen to that long ass 10hr call. It was a MESS. We were literally fighting for our ancestors and family up in there --- and the two main people trying to stop it was those two women.

It was people getting smart with eachother. Going back and forth. It was just... man.

Sounds like emotions were running high. I think I'll actually listen to it so I can try to understand where those ladies were coming from.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Call in tomorrow -- and voice your concerns. But, they wouldn't have to be living in California during that time but be the descendent of the enslaved in the U.S. -- because of the Great Migration I & II. They are working all that out. Tomorrow the Economist, lawyers and experts are on the task force call to start on the scope. So, call in and voice your concerns please.

California, a "Free State" Sanctioned Slavery - California Historical Society

History of African Americans in Los Angeles - Wikipedia
Good looking out sis, I’ll have to check that out. I got a weird feeling about this but I hope I’m wrong and they got this shyt airtight.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
I'm not against getting money .. but I'm looking at the reality of how you receive it within the current structure of the economy

Raw Checks will have a negative impact and won't be enough anyway. Just look at what's happening now with inflation.. and multiply that by 20

Your electric bills, gas, Food, clothes ..as soon as you get that check everything goes up in price x 20

And we are descendants of those who cannot receive what is owed.. I'm about removing obstacles to long term prosperity so that's what I'm getting at
The future. A 50yr old has most of their life behind them already. It's likely we will not see any compensation. (Me & You)
This is really about our grandchildren at this point.

Add to the fact that Ray- Ray, Pookie and them just gonna give that raw check right back to the white man buying Jordans, beer and dumb shyt

I'm not against a payout. Read my post. They owe Quadrillions worth. But it cannot be paid because they can't afford it. That's really my point
They can they just don't want to.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
This is something that always struck me as inconsequential to whether or not the government is willing to pay reparations. Or how the notion of it not being lineage based has been the reason it hadn't happened.

I mean the California bill was passed in both bodies, signed into law, a full commission was formed without the explicitness of lineage. That's something they ironed out in the commission that's going to provide reparations one way or another. They're going to iron out a lot more than that too.

Honestly, I'm relieved they've gotten past that hump, but I hope people are keeping track of the actual sequence of events. Like the post above me said, the issue has always been the fact that the government hasn't wanted to pay. This whole lineage debate, up until today, has been completely out of sequence and turned otherwise comrades against each other. That annoys the hell out of me with this era's reparations movement.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
This is something that always struck me as inconsequential to whether or not the government is willing to pay reparations. Or how the notion of it not being lineage based has been the reason it hadn't happened.

I mean the California bill was passed in both bodies, signed into law, a full commission was formed without the explicitness of lineage. That's something they ironed out in the commission that's going to provide reparations one way or another. They're going to iron out a lot more than that too.

Honestly, I'm relieved they've gotten past that hump, but I hope people are keeping track of the actual sequence of events.

I do think the orgs like NCobra - have been approaching our claim as "all Black people" -- and not making it specific to us has stopped the progress over the years.

Also, race-based policies are banned in California. So, this has to be specific. So, if they would. have done race-based -- that would have guaranteed it would have been denied.

To hear more in detail about that, as I am not the best explainer -- listen to the call -- the last two hrs of the call. It covers that.

And the messed up part -- is the NCobra and NAARC members on the panel KNEW THAT.

Asicz

Daps
@im_sleep go You specifically added a Drake laughin smile about California Reparations Taskforce and criteria.

Your goofy ho ass made no mention of "lauging at yourself"... clown

Asicz

Daps

Honestly, I'm relieved they've gotten past that hump, but I hope people are keeping track of the actual sequence of events. Like the post above me said, the issue has always been the fact that the government hasn't wanted to pay. This whole lineage debate, up until today, has been completely out of sequence and turned otherwise comrades against each other. That annoys the hell out of me with this era's reparations movement.
WE DON'T CARE THAT YOU ARE TOO FRAGILE TO DEAL WITH DIFFERENCE OF OPINION ON LINEAGE CRITERIA FOR REPARATIONS.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You gotta have more than just one, meaning -- I don't think you only have ONE ancestor right? Someone in your family stayed right?

Look on the census -- but I am not sure. Under the guidelines - I do not think so.

Email:

I am not sure though. I am sure if will be special cases -- but I am not sure.
he left with both parents, siblings, and one cousin. I’ll have to find out if he had any aunties or uncles that stayed behind.

I’m definitely sending an email to the task force for more guidance. Thank you

Depends on proposed criteria.

One criteria proposed by Carnell says that lineage meed to be tied to the experiemce of slavery in the US and also the experiemce that follwed after going from emancipation and reconstruction to Jim Crow
That final criterion will be everything.