Caitlyn Clark's game had more TV viewers than any NBA game this season on ESPN

MasterThought

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Which coli posters can beat Caitlin Clark in a 1 on 1?

Somebody make that thread :lolbron:

• Haha
Reactions: NZA
Daps
The ESPN/NBA stat is true, but it leaves out the fact that if you include NBA games aired on ABC and TNT then this Womens basketball game doesn't even make the top 10. :umad:

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
I was bashing the Women's tournament in the March Madness thread due to the first round blowouts, but the last couple rounds have been good shyt :ehh: Definitely catching the SC/Iowa game Friday.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
There is no "marketing" to be done to make people watch the WNBA. Also she will do all 4 years because the women are required which is actually bullshyt.

It’s not about marketing. Sports media simply don’t cover it. They don’t debate it. And the irony is they got current and former WNBA players on these networks covering the NBA.

Another irony is the NBA forced the WNBA the play their season in the middle of the summer/fall :snoop: so they wouldn’t have to compete with them for viewership. The NBA is basically treating that league as a tax write off

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
It’s not about marketing. Sports media simply don’t cover it. They don’t debate it. And the irony is they got current and former WNBA players on these networks covering the NBA.

Another irony is the NBA forced the WNBA the play their season in the middle of the summer/fall :snoop: so they wouldn’t have to compete with them for viewership. The NBA is basically treating that league as a tax write off
I'm convinced you coach or run a WNBA team at this point.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
wnba has been around for decades and still has no real traction ... people in this country have shown again and again that they do not care about women playing sports other than tennis. The other times they do care are when women are playing for already established brands like NCAA universities or representing nations at the World Cup or Olympics.

The billionaires here also don't care to just give away money like that to athletes if the athletes aren't generating profits in return. I'm certain we'll see another Brittney Griner type situation soon or some foreign billionaire will seduce them into espionage like what happened to Pras from the Fugees. :francis:

Women’s college basketball relative popularity proves it’s the NBA’s fault that the WNBA’s numbers are lacking. If WNBA REALLY is what you say it is, why won’t NBA sell it?

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
I could see the NFL creating a Women's Flag Football League and blowing past the WNBA in the next decade. It's already taking off as a highschool sport for girls.

If people aren't tuning in to watch women play actual basketball, what makes you think people will tune in to watch women play non-tackle, touch football? :mjlol:

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
If people aren't tuning in to watch women play actual basketball, what makes you think people will tune in to watch women play non-tackle, touch football? :mjlol:
it's still football :yeshrug: and it's taking off as a highschool sport.

alot of people don't even watch the NBA like that forreal.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The ESPN/NBA stat is true, but it leaves out the fact that if you include NBA games aired on ABC and TNT then this Womens basketball game doesn't even make the top 10. :umad:

ABC is a free over the air network that anyone can put on all you have to do is plug your TV in :mjlol:

2legit

Superstar
Daps
For the :flabbynsick:, yall remember when the WNBA first came out? The NBA marketed it hard and the WNBA was popular for the first few years. I remember a lot of cats watching the league back then when the Houston Comets was a dynasty. Then all of a sudden everyone stopped watching the league. I have no idea why the league dropped off like that because it used to be popular.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For the :flabbynsick:, yall remember when the WNBA first came out? The NBA marketed it hard and the WNBA was popular for the first few years. I remember a lot of cats watching the league back then when the Houston Comets was a dynasty. Then all of a sudden everyone stopped watching the league. I have no idea why the league dropped off like that because it used to be popular.
Yea I watched, NBC did a great job promoting it as well, certainly much better than ESPN does. Also helped that league was born right after the UConn vs Tenn rivalry first sparked so they were also able to soak up that momentum.

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ

That’s because those players were on the famous 1996 Olympic team, which was marketed heavily by the NBA & Nike

• Dap
Reactions: NZA