Caitlyn Clark's game had more TV viewers than any NBA game this season on ESPN

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
That's not enough of an argument by itself. There is no other industry where you can claim that just because the business isn't turning a profit yet, the workers can't be underpaid. Tesla took forever to turn a profit but it didn't mean they could get away with paying their engineers $40k a year.
big difference between testla "not turning a profit" on paper by allocating the actual profit they get into losses via expansion, development, new factories etc and the WNBA not turning a profit because it doesnt actually generate much income.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
The #1 Pick in the WNBA draft is making $72K. You can work at Target making more money than that. She staying in college to make $1 Million in NIL money.

Is that the limit she can make? Bc she can probably get crazy endorsements now. She is certified star athlete to the public

Flight

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
KC
I don’t think most casuals know who Brandon Miller or Oscar Tshiwebe are either

Ochai Agbaji was the best player on a national title team last season and what fanfare does he have?

I agree that the alumni from those schools will root for those guys in the NBA but I don’t think CBB creates stars anymore.

If Bronny goes to college then it’s probably going to spark a lot of interest to whatever school he picks but Bronny’s already coming in with a built in hype machine
You my dawg but relax with the Ochai slander fam.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
She would make more in endorsements in College than the Pros. Damn near the Whole state of Iowa will pour money to keep her.

That's what I'm saying though is there an NIL endorsement limit? Bc coke and pepsi (powerade/gatorade), dikk sporting goods, etc could be calling up soon

All of these breakout college stars need to be able to eat unchecked

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
wnba has been around for decades and still has no real traction ... people in this country have shown again and again that they do not care about women playing sports other than tennis. The other times they do care are when women are playing for already established brands like NCAA universities or representing nations at the World Cup or Olympics.

The billionaires here also don't care to just give away money like that to athletes if the athletes aren't generating profits in return. I'm certain we'll see another Brittney Griner type situation soon or some foreign billionaire will seduce them into espionage like what happened to Pras from the Fugees. :francis:

All the WNBA needs is a generational star. Caitlin could be that. She's already got some rivalries brewing. All you gotta do is market her vs. Angel Reese at the next level. People tune in for black vs white dynamics.

The NBA would be salivating if they had a American born white star who was legit one of the best players in the game. And she's from the heartland of America :ohlawd: The fact that she's even forced to go back to school is a travesty. There's nothing left to accomplish. Her team will likely not even make the 'ship next year. This is the time to strike in this land of short attention spans.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
She would make more in endorsements in College than the Pros. Damn near the Whole state of Iowa will pour money to keep her.

This is silly imo. There are way more $$ opportunities at the pro level. The companies and endorsements she would get would be crazy. If not, somebody is dropping the ball.

2legit

Superstar
Daps
This is silly imo. There are way more $$ opportunities at the pro level. The companies and endorsements she would get would be crazy. If not, somebody is dropping the ball.
Nobody cares about the WNBA. She will make more money in College Basketball. Griner, Taurasi, Bird, Moore, Della Donne were all stars in the college game and their hype came and went the second they went to the pros.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
The thing that the coli ALWAYS fails to realize is that a lot of people have strong connections and feelings to college. Built in fanbases cause of alumni, built in pride and representation cause of the school representing an entire state.
Now it doesn't really work for women's pro ball because they've never really been able to break in like that but for the men's game it works.
Keeping it real when the NBA went to one and done plus all the player movement every year, it kills your star power. I say CBB had to die for the NBA to be more popular but it actually hurts the nba. Cause whether yall want to admit it or not stars get built in college. One and done killed men college stars but it also put a damper on NBA guys being true tune in stars. America falls in love with guys during the tournament when they get a chance to learn who they are.
Like think of all the talented dudes Duke has had recently...none of them are more known than J Will was except for zion and he got HS hype.
1 and done don't promote that aint no bond and both sides know that. It hurts men's ball on all levels.

This is true as fukk. March Madness makes so many people household names. Especially when they stick around for multiple years.

You could put a gun to my head and I couldn't tell you where most of these young NBA players went to college. In the 90s I could tell you where everyone went.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Nobody cares about the WNBA. She will make more money in College Basketball. Griner, Taurasi, Bird, Moore, Della Donne were all stars in the college game and their hype came and went the second they went to the pros.

I don't disagree, I'm saying that Caitlin COULD be different. She's a generational star. The rest of the people you named were hoopers no doubt, but I never sat there and watched a full game of them. A lot of people tuned into the women's tourney for the FIRST time just to see they hype around Clark. If they WNBA can't market her then they just need to blow this shyt up.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I don't disagree, I'm saying that Caitlin COULD be different. She's a generational star. The rest of the people you named were hoopers no doubt, but I never sat there and watched a full game of them. A lot of people tuned into the women's tourney for the FIRST time just to see they hype around Clark. If they WNBA can't market her then they just need to blow this shyt up.

remember kelsey plum?

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
College basketball created stars in the very recent past. Steph Curry, Anthony Davis, Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Jimmer Fredette, Adam Morrison, Blake Griffin, Gordon Hayward, and Tyler Hansborough all made their name in college ball. Even Trae Young was a big name in very recent history who came to the NBA with a fan base already around him.

Miller is a freshman who played like shyt in every game of the tourney and couldn't make it past the Sweet Sixteen. Tshiwebe is in his first year with Kentucky and didn't even make it past the 2nd round. Aqbaji was a meh skill level guy who didn't break out until his senior year and didn't have the sort of huge standout performances that create casual hype. None of those three guys has done enough to get casual fans excited. And they've also suffered from the fact that the biggest talents aren't even out there on the court.

Imagine if Anthony Edwards, LaMelo Ball, Cole Anthony, Jonathan Kuminga, Evan Mobley, Scottie Barnes, Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith Jr., Cade Cunningham, Shaedon Sharpe, etc. had played college basketball this year. You don't think the sport would have gotten more hype? You don't think some of them would have been bigger names before they got drafted than they were?

everythign you said is right except this

Tshiwebe is a senior and this was his second year with Kentucky.