Caitlyn Clark's game had more TV viewers than any NBA game this season on ESPN

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Fair argument.

However the sports business structure is usually a distribution of the league's profits which is nonexistent here.

The alternative would be like someone else said, getting rich owners there who can afford to blow the money, but that could be disasterous and lead to folding if unchecked. Gotta be realistic.
That's essentially what people are wanting the NBA to do anyways, so the WNBA counterpart would be the same thing. They're already nearly halfway there anyways with the league's team being owned by NBA or NFL owners.

Daps
The star power in the women's game missing from the men's game is a direct effect of the WNBA for women not being a serious step up financially like the NBA is for men.

If it were, they'd have the same problem with 1 and dones and players leaving early in general to chase the big checks.
Angel and Caitlyn = Magic N Bird?

WNBA could use an elite white girl that is NOT from the coasts like Taurasi, Sue Bird etc and can appeal to Middle America.

Pair her up with a photogenic, talented Black hooper and you get Magic v Bird 2.0

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Melo, Wall, KD, Oden, Beasley, D Rose, Kyrie, AD, Wiggins, were all household names coming into the league and they were all one and done.

CBB doesn’t build stars like that anymore either. People care about the tournament but not the players. CBB’s regular season is about as irrelevant as it’s ever been, can’t remember the last time there was a marquee matchup that dominated the sports headlines.

Melo- player of the year, crazy big east tourney, led team to the ship. People learned him in March. America fell in love with him cause he was the biggest thing going for 3 months straight.
Wall-not that household IMO
KD-woulda been more household cause he was the 1st freshman to win player of the year but was out the tournament early didn't really get to make that large impact cause he was overshadowed by..>>>
Oden-dominated big ten at one of the biggest alumni bases in the country. Deep run into March. 3 months of name in the headlines.
Beasley-not that household
DRose-Deep run in March.

And the reason it's cbb regular season is "irrelevant" cause we all know players aint gon be there but for a year so ain't no realattachment there anymore. Nobody knows who these kids are until they make a name for themselves in March. But a lot of them only have 1 or 2 weeks of March for the country to get familiar with them.
For example
Herb Jones get more love than Brandon Miller and those Bama fans turned into Pelican fans cause Herb was there for 4 years and there's a true following there.
The longer a player stays the better chance they have of taking fans from these huge alumni bases with them.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Angel and Caitlyn = Magic N Bird?

WNBA could use an elite white girl that is NOT from the coasts like Taurasi, Sue Bird etc and can appeal to Middle America.

Pair her up with a photogenic, talented Black hooper and you get Magic v Bird 2.0
More seasoned women's watchers can educate me on this but I think Angel may be more of a question mark in the WNBA than she is currently in the college game. She'll have to go against bigger, longer and stronger forwards and centers nightly.

Clark can take her game anywhere. So they could try to push that but it only works if both are instant impact stars.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Yes and the nba shouldn’t be attempting to appeal to white racists

Nor was that particular group of white racists ever really NBA fans in the last decade. All the "woke" obsession has done is allow these people to verbally state what they wouldn't say a decade ago. They couldn't say "I don't watch basketball because it's a bunch of ******s and thugs running around" in 2013, but now can say "I don't watch basketball because it's woke."

They also tried the same shyt with the NFL, and today many right wing figures don't watch any sports. Of course the NFL's ratings continue to surge despite "wokeness" so right wingers prefer to just pretend football doesn't exist rather than admit most people don't give a shyt about their culture war gripes.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Fair argument.

However the sports business structure is usually a distribution of the league's profits which is nonexistent here.

That's not true. Sports business structure is a distribution of revenue, not of profits. Most men's sports leagues distribute about half of revenue to players regardless of whether the teams are turning a profit or not. There are plenty of teams that lose money, they still have to play their players. In the early years of the NBA you had teams folding constantly due to bad profits. Even now, some teams don't turn a profit at all, and the owners are basically banking on having a lot of money and either owning the team just for their own amusement or banking on flipping it for a huge resale value later even if it doesn't make money year-to-year.

WNBA players, like NBA players, get their salary pool based on revenue rather than based on profits. But NBA players get 50% of NBA revenue, while WNBA players only get 20% of WNBA revenue.

(To be clear, I have no dog in this fight. I'm not particularly invested in whether WNBA players get paid more or not. I just think the arguments are more nuanced than they're sometimes made out to be.)

Last edited:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
the “woke” stuff is just a dog whistle for white supremacists so of course that racist clay Travis is posting this garbage in relation to the nba on Twitter
or its proof its dumb to mix sports and politics

NBA does it to appeal to their core demo but it turns off potenital fans

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
It also hurts NBA cause too many undeveloped players getting time over vets. Teams play the young guys because they have potential and need the playing time to develop it, but it degrades the quality of play. As opposed to back in the day when they got that development in college so rookies could come in and be all-stars from Day 1.

Rookie all-stars by decade:

1950s: 11
1960s: 11
1970s: 6
1980s: 10
early 1990s: 4
late 1990s: 1
2000s: 1
2010s: 1

I split up "early 1990s" and "late 1990s" because the rule allowing high school drafts came in 1995.

Before then, being an all-star as a rookie wasn't common but it wasn't unusual either. Hakeem and Jordan in '85, Ewing in '86, Robinson in '90, Mutombo in '92, Shaq in '93, Grant Hill in '95.

Afterwards? It was almost unheard of, and it has ONLY been the older players who made it. The only three rookies to make the all-star team since 1995 were Tim Duncan (22yo), Yao Ming (23yo), and Blake Griffin (22yo). Three rookie all-stars in 28 years after having had 14 rookie All-Stars in the previous 15 years.

Exactly.
I'm on record saying that playing college ball now days doesn't make you a better pro or prepare you for the game, but being 19 doesn't help you either.
I saw where they just redid their cba, but what they shoulda put in there was players can declare for the draft after 1 year if they go the g league route and 2 years if they go the cbb route.
It benefits every single entity involved. CBB gets guys who wanna be there and it gives time for America to learn who they are and have a true following. The league can make something of the gleague (im guessing they have the play style of the nba :yeshrug:) and the top talent gets closer to nba experience. And the NBA gets more ready players and players who are better known since they are so focused on the individual and not the teams.
But hey what do I know, I'm just a nikka who used to be in the nba target demo until the individuals I used to watch for all retired and had no real team fan affiliation so it goes totally ignored. Hence why the NBA will always have the youngest demo. They don't retain a large portion of their fans as lifelong but that's a whole nother topic

Daps

I’m tired of bytches like you telling black athletes they shouldn’t use their enormous platforms to support their people in a country in which we are routinely oppressed. fukk off c*nt

White men are never going to see you as their equal’s because you bootlick on online forums and most likely in real life as well

Also believing that the cops shouldn’t be gunning down unarmed black citizens isn’t fukking political it’s a human rights issue that the fukk UN human rights council has reprimanded the US over on numerous occasions

Last edited:

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
It also hurts NBA cause too many undeveloped players getting time over vets. Teams play the young guys because they have potential and need the playing time to develop it, but it degrades the quality of play. As opposed to back in the day when they got that development in college so rookies could come in and be all-stars from Day 1.

Rookie all-stars by decade:

1950s: 11
1960s: 11
1970s: 6
1980s: 10
early 1990s: 4
late 1990s: 1
2000s: 1
2010s: 1

I split up "early 1990s" and "late 1990s" because the rule allowing high school drafts came in 1995.

Before then, being an all-star as a rookie wasn't common but it wasn't unusual either. Hakeem and Jordan in '85, Ewing in '86, Robinson in '90, Mutombo in '92, Shaq in '93, Grant Hill in '95.

Afterwards? It was almost unheard of, and it has ONLY been the older players who made it. The only three rookies to make the all-star team since 1995 were Tim Duncan (22yo), Yao Ming (23yo), and Blake Griffin (22yo). Three rookie all-stars in 28 years after having had 14 rookie All-Stars in the previous 15 years.
The thing that the coli ALWAYS fails to realize is that a lot of people have strong connections and feelings to college. Built in fanbases cause of alumni, built in pride and representation cause of the school representing an entire state.
Now it doesn't really work for women's pro ball because they've never really been able to break in like that but for the men's game it works.
Keeping it real when the NBA went to one and done plus all the player movement every year, it kills your star power. I say CBB had to die for the NBA to be more popular but it actually hurts the nba. Cause whether yall want to admit it or not stars get built in college. One and done killed men college stars but it also put a damper on NBA guys being true tune in stars. America falls in love with guys during the tournament when they get a chance to learn who they are.
Like think of all the talented dudes Duke has had recently...none of them are more known than J Will was except for zion and he got HS hype.
1 and done don't promote that aint no bond and both sides know that. It hurts men's ball on all levels.
I said the same thing literally a few months ago @Rhakim when there was talk (before they reached a new cba) about letting guys come in from high school again. We see it now with one and done if they go the college route, guys come in and don't know how to play, they know how to score and get theirs but that's it. I don't know who wants to watch a bunch of teams like the Rockets who year after year are filled with young guys who all play for themselves. I had the same conversation with my pops I honestly don't know why the NBA is hellbent on NOT utilizing the college game as a direct pipeline as a first option. Yeah in basketball guys have other options, especially now if you don't wanna go to college, overseas, now the G-league, but it'll help the league imo for guys to get known to the masses beforehand coming into the league. Like Scoot Henderson is known by basketball fans but if I polled people in the street who are casuals and barely know what a G-League is they won't know who I'm talking about.

And like @PortCityProphet said, these guys get built up in college and take their college fans with them to the pros. One and done hurts cause guys realistically only go to college as a means to get the league, no real fanbase is built up knowing you only gonna be there a few months.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

You're heavily over stating this demographic. We're not talking about a majority of people, or even a large portion of former basketball fans. We're talking about some white people in an information bubble who never liked basketball and barely even watch any sports.

The NBA should probably focus more on getting actual basketball fans to watch games. Instead of watching highlights on youtube or clips of SAS.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
I’m tired of bytches like you telling black athletes they shouldn’t use their enormous platforms to support their people in a country in which we are routinely oppressed. fukk off c*nt

White men are never going to see you as their equal’s because you bootlick on online forums and most likely in real life as well

Also believing that the cops shouldn’t be gunning down unarmed black citizens isn’t fukking political it’s a human rights issue that the fukk UN human rights council has reprimanded the US over on numerous occasions

@jilla82 is one of this forum’s most depraved and shameless c00ns (at best…he may very well just be an outright WS agent)…. pay him no mind

Last edited: