c00n crys over video of American flag being burned.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
many white people are simplistic morons. they believe in symbols because that is a simple concept that doesn't require thinking. they want to believe in things like honor, sacrifice, courage, etc, which is a human trait. the problem arises when you understand that idiots such as this lack nuance in their thinking and so, it's easy for them to believe the american flag stands only for rainbows and unicorns. when you try to educate them or show them otherwise, they react violently to your instruction. this is because they don't want to actually know the truth, instead they want to nurture a specific worldview (that they're backing the winning team, and that they by extension are good and are winners). if you could make them sit down and accept the fact that the american flag is also a symbol of terrorism, then they'd have to rethink their entire self and who they are.
Truth

ThaEruditious

She luv it over here like Gold Watch.
Daps
Reppin
Nashville/Augusta
3500.jpg

Holy shyt, this would make for a dope album cover!!

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
many white people are simplistic morons. they believe in symbols because that is a simple concept that doesn't require thinking. they want to believe in things like honor, sacrifice, courage, etc, which is a human trait. the problem arises when you understand that idiots such as this lack nuance in their thinking and so, it's easy for them to believe the american flag stands only for rainbows and unicorns. when you try to educate them or show them otherwise, they react violently to your instruction. this is because they don't want to actually know the truth, instead they want to nurture a specific worldview (that they're backing the winning team, and that they by extension are good and are winners). if you could make them sit down and accept the fact that the american flag is also a symbol of terrorism, then they'd have to rethink their entire self and who they are.

White americans base their whole identity on it since they've been on the American continent less than 1000 years.

Nationalism and race is the thin veil that keeps them from outright civil war against each other.

Daps
My take on this:

1. Flag burning is just plain tacky to me. However, I respect a person's or people's right to burn any flag. Freedom of expression is vital for any just society.
Also it funny how people will get upset over the desecration of the Yank flag buy bog roll with stars and stripes on it!?
2. I'm not offended by any flag. None what so ever. Every flag has some sort of symbolism that could offend someone. In fact, at times I encourage private citizens(/subjects) to parade 'offensive' flags. Be it: The Confederate Flag, Nazi Flag, Soviet Russia flag, The Black Flag of Islam etc.
Why? Simple. It lets me know to avoid all contact with said person or people that parade those 'offensive' flags.
You have a right to offended but you don't have a right to not be offended.