Bungie: “Xbox Live wouldn’t have made it” without Halo

FcKuPaYmE

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Xbox Live is ten years old today, but things could have been very different. According to Bungie studio manager Harold Ryan, the premium service wouldn’t have worked without Halo and the leadership of the renowned studio.
20121102_halo_41.jpg

“I think Xbox Live wouldn’t have made it. I don’t think the Xbox would be where it is today without Bungie and without Halo,” Ryan told GamesIndustry.biz.
“As a group, we provided both technical and creative guidance and thought leadership that really pushed the limits. We weren’t just a game developer using the service. We were integrated in the design of the service and how it worked. Systems for groups and matchmaking and skill ranking were all things that were pushed the furthest and the hardest by us.”
Halo has remained one of Xbox Live’s most played games across the last decade. The recent launch of Halo 4 is the first iteration to be released without Bungie overseeing development, and managed to pull in $220 million during its first 24 hours.

courtdog

Drinks Blood from a Boot
Daps
Reppin
I live in the United States
its not like they lying......

:usure:

Halo 1 didn't have online. By the time Halo 2 came out, I was DEEP in the online playing game (Halo 2 came out Nov 04')

Return to Castle Wolfenstien
Ghost Recon
NBA2k2,3,4,5
Counter Strike
Crimson Skies
DOA 2 & 3
Forza 1
Full Spectrum Warrior
Iron Phoenix (Sega fighter that was slept on)
Madden 01-05'
Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2
Mech Assault
The medal of honor series
Men of Valor (best fps last gen)
Midnight Club + DUB edition
Phantasy Star Online 1&2
Rainbow 6, Rainbow 6 Black Arrow

All these games and much more came bout before Halo 2 :rudy:

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
ugh........... it helped but i will say Xbox360 Wouldn't have made it without gears of war.

courtdog

Drinks Blood from a Boot
Daps
Reppin
I live in the United States
shyt, XBOX itself wouldn't have made it w/o Halo.

Not true in the slightest. You guys really do have fickle memories

Try to follow me now... Xbox comes out with a BUILT IN ETHERNET PORT
Why was that? yeah, XBL
Halo was the launch title that "could" bring in the masses, but reality is nobody gave a fukk about Halo at that time
It was unheard of, unknown. The internet was still a baby at this time
I was a member of IGN at this point, most ppl never even heard of IGN round this time

We was still on magazines, and Halo 1 wasn't this game everybody wanted.
Ppl bought the xbox, played Halo and was like :gladbron:
I was working at a videogame store at the time of launch, trust me... xbox wasn't shyt, everyone was on there console loyalty steez just like they are today
I was pro playstation at this time. And if I didn't work there, my ps2 launch system didn't work out the box. I would of been stuck with it, but since I worked there they freaked it so I could get a new one

NOBODY SEEMS TO REMEMBER HOW fukkED UP IT REALLY WAS BACK THEN

Anywayz, while Halo was a great game. XBL was the sole reason to get an xbox over a ps2. Online gaming. Later ps2 tried to play catch up by releasing there modem with FF11 which sucked pretty much. I recall running over a bunch of bridges, bunch of rocks. I remember fighting some enemies and random ppl would just run past and let you die :heh:
Madden was the only other game that made use of the modem.. then I think Socom was the next?

Meanwhile, once XBL launched, everything was online. And it was smooth
According to @Rekkapryde logic, ps2 online was equal to xbox online because of latency. :stopitslime:
Even today you can google lag problems in ps3 games that the xbox counterparts don't have. But thats a different topic

Did anybody here play Madden, NBA 2k, Ghost Recons and Rainbow 6's
Crimson Skies? Cuz all these games were VERY popular. Return to Castle Wolfenstien was mad popular. Xbox would of did just fine w/out Halo
shyt, over half of all games don't even like Halo :dry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps

Why was that? yeah, XBL
Halo was the launch title that "could" bring in the masses, but reality is nobody gave a fukk about Halo at that time
I was a member of IGN at this point, most ppl never even heard of IGN round this time

I was working at a videogame store at the time of launch, trust me... xbox wasn't shyt, everyone was on there console loyalty steez just like they are today
I was pro playstation at this time. And if I didn't work there, my ps2 launch system didn't work out the box. I would of been stuck with it, but since I worked there they freaked it so I could get a new one

Anywayz, while Halo was a great game. XBL was the sole reason to get an xbox over a ps2. Online gaming. Later ps2 tried to play catch up by releasing there modem with FF11 which sucked pretty much. I recall running over a bunch of bridges, bunch of rocks. I remember fighting some enemies and random ppl would just run past and let you die :heh:
Madden was the only other game that made use of the modem.. then I think Socom was the next?

According to @Rekkapryde logic, ps2 online was equal to xbox online because of latency. :stopitslime:
Even today you can google lag problems in ps3 games that the xbox counterparts don't have. But thats a different topic

Crimson Skies? Cuz all these games were VERY popular. Return to Castle Wolfenstien was mad popular. Xbox would of did just fine w/out Halo

I hope my nikka rekka really didnt say that Laggy shyt was onpar with xbox live :deadrose:. That shyt ran and was run on third-party servers and was different from game to game shyt was a complete joke as a network.

BlvdBrawler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Why was that? yeah, XBL

Nobody's reading all that shyt but I'm assuming you...

1. Disagreed with me
2. Sucked off an XBOX and played with MS' balls a little bit.
3. Were wrong on all accounts.

I will say, I didn't see any of those hula smileys in there though, so congrats on stepping up your posting game past a 2nd grade level.