More layoffs at Bungie, SIE taking control, spinning out new action game studio, etc.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
It's looking like Embracer Group may be in Bungie's future unless they can produce a Halo level threat in the next few years. Marathon needs to be Destiny level, not Concord level or it's curtains.

The_Unchosen_One

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis
It's looking like Embracer Group may be in Bungie's future unless they can produce a Halo level threat in the next few years. Marathon needs to be Destiny level, not Concord level or it's curtains.
Pete made promises to Sony that Marathon would be an Omega Level game... the truth of the matter is this won't do anywhere near the numbers that they need to make Sony happy. They've already brought in streamers to test Marathon and they all said the game basically isn't that good. Sony will can bungie in the next year or two and use bungie as a tax write off for the losses.

On top of that... Bungie came out saying that they don't like how their fan base is "older" players and want a much younger audience. Like fukk me for being around since the Alpha, and Day 1 Destiny 1 and supporting your game for 10 fukking years! Pete is going to sink the ship and put everyone out of work at Bungie.

Destiny Wiki page for Parson has been changed

GUA3KT2XsAANrBG

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Pete made promises to Sony that Marathon would be an Omega Level game... the truth of the matter is this won't do anywhere near the numbers that they need to make Sony happy. They've already brought in streamers to test Marathon and they all said the game basically isn't that good. Sony will can bungie in the next year or two and use bungie as a tax write off for the losses.

On top of that... Bungie came out saying that they don't like how their fan base is "older" players and want a much younger audience. Like fukk me for being around since the Alpha, and Day 1 Destiny 1 and supporting your game for 10 fukking years! Pete is going to sink the ship and put everyone out of work at Bungie.

Destiny Wiki page for Parson has been changed

GUA3KT2XsAANrBG
I like how dudes runnning to paint sony as the victims/saviors of this situation.

They didn’t get “tricked” they made bad business decisions and now they are working to fix them.

The_Unchosen_One

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis
I like how dudes runnning to paint sony as the victims/saviors of this situation.

They didn’t get “tricked” they made bad business decisions and now they are working to fix them.
I'm not saying Sony is a victim or savior or got tricked at all

Pete Parsons is responsible for this disaster. He's missed every milestone he promised when Sony bought Bungie. He's promised the moon and given them Rhode Island. The responsibility starts and ends with the CEO. Everyone else is paying with their jobs. Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy are both gone now, and Luke was there from the very beginning... he had the vision. At some point, Pete has to have consequences for his failures, and Marathon will be his final chance. There's no saving Destiny at this point. It's make or break for Bungie as a whole on Marathon and they said they'll look at another Destiny game down the line if Marathon is successful.... but it's not going to be good!

Just sad they have to kill the game off like this. The "going forward" plan for Bungie isn't sustainable to keeping a player base. With no story whatsoever, what's the point? You grind for a couple guns, do a raid and a dungeon every week, and then you're done... it becomes you knock out your weekly stuff in one day and don't play the other 6 until you ask yourself why am I even bothering if I'm playing 1 day a week? I've spent 10 years with the game, there's been games that tried to do what Destiny is, but it wasn't the same. So all the fan base will be looking for other games to move to, and then Bungie will be able to say "we are shutting down the servers due to lack of players"... if Sony doesn't shut the whole thing down first.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm not saying Sony is a victim or savior or got tricked at all

Pete Parsons is responsible for this disaster. He's missed every milestone he promised when Sony bought Bungie. He's promised the moon and given them Rhode Island. The responsibility starts and ends with the CEO. Everyone else is paying with their jobs. Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy are both gone now, and Luke was there from the very beginning... he had the vision. At some point, Pete has to have consequences for his failures, and Marathon will be his final chance. There's no saving Destiny at this point. It's make or break for Bungie as a whole on Marathon and they said they'll look at another Destiny game down the line if Marathon is successful.... but it's not going to be good!

Just sad they have to kill the game off like this. The "going forward" plan for Bungie isn't sustainable to keeping a player base. With no story whatsoever, what's the point? You grind for a couple guns, do a raid and a dungeon every week, and then you're done... it becomes you knock out your weekly stuff in one day and don't play the other 6 until you ask yourself why am I even bothering if I'm playing 1 day a week? I've spent 10 years with the game, there's been games that tried to do what Destiny is, but it wasn't the same. So all the fan base will be looking for other games to move to, and then Bungie will be able to say "we are shutting down the servers due to lack of players"... if Sony doesn't shut the whole thing down first.
Once sony purchased them sony are responsible for what happens to them. Any projects and budgets layoff and plans were greenlit by sony.

They all thought Destiny would bring in more money than it did. Then the economy/inflation happened and Destiny just can’t sustain such a huge studio on its own.

I guess it’s fine to be mad at Pete but there was no lying or misleading going on. Just bad calculations by everyone involved.

And this is an industry wide thing to. Not just bungie.

Things got way outa hand for most everyone and this is a big reset.

The_Unchosen_One

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis
Once sony purchased them sony are responsible for what happens to them. Any projects and budgets layoff and plans were greenlit by sony.

They all thought Destiny would bring in more money than it did. Then the economy/inflation happened and Destiny just can’t sustain such a huge studio on its own.

I guess it’s fine to be mad at Pete but there was no lying or misleading going on. Just bad calculations by everyone involved.

Sony allowed Bungie to operate independently as they always have, just under the umbrella of Sony

Pete was the one making promises to Sony on what they would deliver as a company

They missed their marks every step of the way because Pete promised to much

That's a failure of leadership, instead he fired hundreds of employees without taking any accountability whatsoever.

Our anger and sadness as a fan base isn't about the game... it's about the fact that he's literally taken no accountability and nobody holds him responsible. And now as a result, the game is going to die. Promise the moon and underdeliver is on his family crest.

Games come and go, it's the nature of the industry, 10 fukking years is fukking remarkable for a console game, and it's been my go to for the past 10 years, since Day 1... tried to convince countless people to play, been through like 6 clans and watched them implode due to stupid shyt. My guys I play NCAA and other games with have all come from those clans and we migrated to other clans at the same time. We're already looking for the next game to migrate to though since we see the inevitable coming.

When these layoffs hit this week, what did the CEO do? He turned his twitter private... he fukking ran and hid like a coward. Does that inspire leadership you want to rally behind? Where did the $1.3 BILLION that Sony gave Bungie a year ago for Employee Retention go to? Because they haven't been retaining employees!

People like Paul Tassi are saying they'd wait 5 years for a brand new Destiny 3, they don't have 5 years... they don't have 2 years... they are putting everything on Marathon being a huge success... which it won't be.

Maybe I'm wrong... I hope I am and down the line there's another game to play... but I see the writing on the wall :to:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Folks, no one is saying Sony is not at fault for the purchase. They didn’t do their research and bought a sinking ship.

The worst part is they allowed them to be “independent”.

But for you to say Bungie higher ups had little to do with this situation is false.

Sony spent the money, but Bungie was still working as a independent studio during the time. (Which makes it different than these other acquisitions you speak of) Sony is now going in attempting to clean shyt up and salvage what they can

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Folks, no one is saying Sony is not at fault for the purchase. They didn’t do their research and bought a sinking ship.

The worst part is they allowed them to be “independent”.

But for you to say Bungie higher ups had little to do with this situation is false.

Sony spent the money, but Bungie was still working as an independent studio during the time. (Which makes it different than these other acquisitions you speak of) Sony is now going in attempting to clean shyt up and salvage what they can

Sony stan’s :mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Sony allowed Bungie to operate independently as they always have, just under the umbrella of Sony
This is what they say, but it’s still sonys money. They would have to sign off on everything.
Pete was the one making promises to Sony on what they would deliver as a company
There’s no promises in game dev.

Sony is investing their money. They did their research and made some decisions.
They missed their marks every step of the way because Pete promised to much

That's a failure of leadership, instead he fired hundreds of employees without taking any accountability whatsoever.

Our anger and sadness as a fan base isn't about the game... it's about the fact that he's literally taken no accountability and nobody holds him responsible. And now as a result, the game is going to die. Promise the moon and underdeliver is on his family crest.

Games come and go, it's the nature of the industry, 10 fukking years is fukking remarkable for a console game, and it's been my go to for the past 10 years, since Day 1... tried to convince countless people to play, been through like 6 clans and watched them implode due to stupid shyt. My guys I play NCAA and other games with have all come from those clans and we migrated to other clans at the same time. We're already looking for the next game to migrate to though since we see the inevitable coming.

When these layoffs hit this week, what did the CEO do? He turned his twitter private... he fukking ran and hid like a coward. Does that inspire leadership you want to rally behind? Where did the $1.3 BILLION that Sony gave Bungie a year ago for Employee Retention go to? Because they haven't been retaining employees!

People like Paul Tassi are saying they'd wait 5 years for a brand new Destiny 3, they don't have 5 years... they don't have 2 years... they are putting everything on Marathon being a huge success... which it won't be.

Maybe I'm wrong... I hope I am and down the line there's another game to play... but I see the writing on the wall :to:
As you said games come in go. If was a terrible calculation to expect Destiny to fund like 4 huge games at once. But again it’s not like sony was in the dark on what bungie was doing, they purchased them precisely to be what they were.

The pandemic prosperity bubble burst and here we are :manny:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This is what they say, but it’s still sonys money. They would have to sign off on everything.

There’s no promises in game dev.

Sony is investing their money. They did their research and made some decisions.

As you said games come in go. If was a terrible calculation to expect Destiny to fund like 4 huge games at once. But again it’s not like sony was in the dark on what bungie was doing, they purchased them precisely to be what they were.

The pandemic prosperity bubble burst and here we are :manny:
This is false. Bungie was making calls on what games to make and what their teams are working on.

Why do you think the Sony higher ups were "surprised" when they visited. They had no idea how shyt was going at bungie because they didn't have a hand in greenlighting projects at the time.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

Dudes in here keep trying to juelze and come up with these long winded explanations and hypothesis for what happened instead of calling it for what it is.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is false. Bungie was making calls on what games to make and what their teams are working on.
And sony said yes to all of it. They purchased them for exactly what they were doing
Why do you think the Sony higher ups were "surprised" when they visited. They had no idea how shyt was going at bungie because they didn't have a hand in greenlighting projects at the time.
Nobody surprised by any of this.

“Sony was incompetent” is not the defense you think it is :mjlol:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
And sony said yes to all of it. They purchased them for exactly what they were doing

Nobody surprised by any of this.

“Sony was incompetent” is not the defense you think it is :mjlol:
yea, cause it's not defense.

TF do you think "They didn’t do their research and bought a sinking ship." means?

The decisions/problems were caused by Bungie, Sony is having to pay the price/clean up, but they didn't directly cause these problems.

They essentially bought a faulty product. They didn't cause the faults in the first place.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
yea, cause it's not defense.

TF do you think "They didn’t do their research and bought a sinking ship." means?

The decisions/problems were caused by Bungie, Sony is having to pay the price/clean up, but they didn't directly cause these problems.

They essentially bought a faulty product. They didn't cause the faults in the first place.
Poor sony got tricked :mjcry: