Bungie: “Xbox Live wouldn’t have made it” without Halo

detach

Banned
Daps
Reppin
OHIO
bungie is overrated. they got lucky with halo 1. halo 2 and 3 were only above average because it was still halo and after many patches. then bungie showed their true colors with that garbage ass Reach.
peep the halo 2 behind the scenes documentary to see how these fukktards wasted 2 years making a demo for e3.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
So shooters are not popular on consoles now :ufdup:

When CS hit Xbox Live, it was the best version out at that time (this was before CSS)
The game was mad fun, and I played it on PC for years prior to it and still enjoyed it
So you really are just coming off like a dumbass, but at least you thought you was special a few minutes ago :bryan:

You are the gift that keeps on giving :bow::laff:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I don't know bout ya'll nikkas but when I was in the dorms, no one gave a fukk about X-Box until Halo craze took over, that's why people bought the X-Box. It was a Halo TV-Adapter. X-Box would not be where it is now without Halo. It would've been a failed project like Apple's Bandai Pippin. Apple shouldn't have let Microsoft buy Bungie. Bungie originally built games for Macs.

courtdog

Drinks Blood from a Boot
Daps
Reppin
I live in the United States
You are the gift that keeps on giving :bow::laff:
Counter-Strike - IGN :usure:
Its all good tho...
I don't know bout ya'll nikkas but when I was in the dorms, no one gave a fukk about X-Box until Halo craze took over, that's why people bought the X-Box. It was a Halo TV-Adapter. X-Box would not be where it is now without Halo. It would've been a failed project like Apple's Bandai Pippin. Apple shouldn't have let Microsoft buy Bungie. Bungie originally built games for Macs.
Of course Halo took off in dorm rooms, yall nikkaz had easy access to Lan parties n shyt. Just cuz thats YOUR experience doesn't mean thats how the rest of the millions of gamers got on :hula:
Like I said, when it launched, I was like "fukk this bullshyt" too
Then when I seen the cut-scenes I was like :ohhh: And when you got to the sniper level? And you playing 2plyrs? You realize the epicness of the game
But for about the first 6mnths, Halo was slept on by most.

UNLESS EVERYBODY IN HERE ACTING LIKE THEY GOT AN XBOX AT LAUNCH :leon:

Pretty sure most of you didn't. Which would bode favorably for my points
Now to say the xbox would of failed w/out Halo? Thats a gamer who didn't have an xbox, simple as that.
Why am I talking to a brick wall here, Rainbow fukking 6, Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon Desert Storm, Splinter Cell Online. Hardly anybody is talking about these games like if they are just some little known games that wasnt 100x more popular than Halo?

Here's the reason why Bungie is talking all this bullshyt, Halo 1 was supposed to be the first xbox live title. But Bungie wasn't ready for that at launch and scrapped it. Xlink Kai you could still play it online (and I did)
But my point is Halo had ZERO to do with the success of the other games
What drew ppl to xbox more than Halo was ONLINE GAMING.
Now if you was a PS2 fanboy, you would say shyt like "Who cares about online gaming" and since I worked at basically gamestop at this time. I vividly recall the sentiment of gamers at that particular time. Everybody was hating on the xbox and waiting for it to flop. Halo was just the FIRST thing to catch haters attention. But it wasn't the last, and the appeal to play Halo isn't what ultimately brought everybody else over. Online gaming did that...

StraxStrax

Daps

Did you even read it?

Counter-Strike is a decent game if you take it for what it is. However, I couldn't help but feel disappointed that neither Ritual nor Valve nor Microsoft Game Studios seized the opportunity to make the Xbox version of Counter-Strike something more visually impressive and worthy of our attention. As it is, Counter-Strike doesn't offer an online shooter experience like Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Rainbow Six 3 where there are unique styles and gameplay subsystems to keep us interested. It just offers a straight ahead first person shooter that's made it over from PC in better shape than I could've predicted.

And he had no hope for it.

:russ:

courtdog

Drinks Blood from a Boot
Daps
Reppin
I live in the United States
Did you even read it?

And he had no hope for it.

:russ:

Why would you take what is said out of context, is that how you make points?
You work for FoxNews?

First off, while you didn't underline the entire sentence :stopitslime:
That article is talking about Counter-Strike compared to other full fledged FPS that came out years after CS did

Thats not what you and I was discussing. Counter Strike when it hit Xbox landed shortly before the CSSource upgrade happened (maybe after)
And it looked better than that version according to all the reveiws back then including the one you misquoted from. They gave an honest review and said the game itself is too old to be really popular on the xbox and I guess that ended up being the truth???
I wouldn't know, there was ppl still playing last time I checked.
Same could be said for PC version. If somebody reviewed that version 4yrs later, they not gonna say "Its the best game ever"

Where did they say anything negative about the game in comparison to its PC counterpart? Yeah, you thought you had a point :yayo:

StraxStrax

Daps
Why would you take what is said out of context, is that how you make points?
You work for FoxNews?

First off, while you didn't underline the entire sentence :stopitslime:
That article is talking about Counter-Strike compared to other full fledged FPS that came out years after CS did

Thats not what you and I was discussing. Counter Strike when it hit Xbox landed shortly before the CSSource upgrade happened (maybe after)
And it looked better than that version according to all the reveiws back then including the one you misquoted from. They gave an honest review and said the game itself is too old to be really popular on the xbox and I guess that ended up being the truth???
I wouldn't know, there was ppl still playing last time I checked.
Same could be said for PC version. If somebody reviewed that version 4yrs later, they not gonna say "Its the best game ever"

Where did they say anything negative about the game in comparison to its PC counterpart? Yeah, you thought you had a point :yayo:

A first person shooter is better with a mouse and keyboard then the same game released later on a console no matter other improvements have been made

Gameplay > everything else

And lets face it, Counter-Strike is all gameplay. But I do like you because no matter how wrong you are you don't quite and that's worth applauding for, in a retarded way.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Not true in the slightest. You guys really do have fickle memories

Try to follow me now... Xbox comes out with a BUILT IN ETHERNET PORT
Why was that? yeah, XBL
Halo was the launch title that "could" bring in the masses, but reality is nobody gave a fukk about Halo at that time
It was unheard of, unknown. The internet was still a baby at this time
I was a member of IGN at this point, most ppl never even heard of IGN round this time

We was still on magazines, and Halo 1 wasn't this game everybody wanted.
Ppl bought the xbox, played Halo and was like :gladbron:
I was working at a videogame store at the time of launch, trust me... xbox wasn't shyt, everyone was on there console loyalty steez just like they are today
I was pro playstation at this time. And if I didn't work there, my ps2 launch system didn't work out the box. I would of been stuck with it, but since I worked there they freaked it so I could get a new one

NOBODY SEEMS TO REMEMBER HOW fukkED UP IT REALLY WAS BACK THEN

Anywayz, while Halo was a great game. XBL was the sole reason to get an xbox over a ps2. Online gaming. Later ps2 tried to play catch up by releasing there modem with FF11 which sucked pretty much. I recall running over a bunch of bridges, bunch of rocks. I remember fighting some enemies and random ppl would just run past and let you die :heh:
Madden was the only other game that made use of the modem.. then I think Socom was the next?

Meanwhile, once XBL launched, everything was online. And it was smooth
According to @Rekkapryde logic, ps2 online was equal to xbox online because of latency. :stopitslime:
Even today you can google lag problems in ps3 games that the xbox counterparts don't have. But thats a different topic

Did anybody here play Madden, NBA 2k, Ghost Recons and Rainbow 6's
Crimson Skies? Cuz all these games were VERY popular. Return to Castle Wolfenstien was mad popular. Xbox would of did just fine w/out Halo
shyt, over half of all games don't even like Halo :dry:
You do realize Microsoft used Halo 2s formula n matchmaking as the foundation for the 360s xbox live. Right?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Not allowing Bungie more creative flexibility was a huge fukk up.