Buju Banton - "Reggae Music Fight to Free Africa, but No African Artist Sings to Free Africa, Just Fukkery!!"

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
What makes it worse is that at post #10 - which you originally quoted, I wasn't just describing Afrobeat. Lucky Dube and Mdou Moctar aren't Afrobeat or even Afrobeat artists. They're African artists who speak about pan-African themes. You don't even know who they are and assumed that they're Afrobeat a la Fela Kuti.

:mjlol:
And still none of those people are Afrobeats. So why bring them up when the complaint is about Afrobeats? :mjlol:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Afrobeats isn't really a genre of music. It's a catch-all term Western journalists have made up to describe pop music from Anglo-speaking West Africa.

Where is the drill conscious music?!
Drill music is a specific sub genre of hip hop. It's literally false equivalence because hip hop has and has had plenty conscious artists. Are there any sub genres of Afrobeats? Are u saying Afrobeats itself is a sub genre? If so? Of what?

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Am I the only one who can’t get into Afro Beats? Most of what I heard just sounds corny. And the beats ain’t that great
It had a spark when it started, but now...
ehh-its-alright.gif

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Trash take, and Buju knows this better than anybody.

1) Bob Marley and other reggae artists lent spiritual support and energy to the continent when all countries had not yet become independent. Most famously with "Zimbabwe" and touring across parts of the continent. He is a superstar to this day, and reggae became mega popular across the continent because of that.

2) In 2024, now that every country is no longer technically a colony, the fight to "free Africa" is against modern oppressive economic and political systems. Don't follow music across the continent to know what every African genre artist, or Afrobeats artist is making music about, but the broad comment from Buju is off.
Stonebwoy is a dancehall artist who incorporates elements of modern West African genres in his music, and he definitely has made songs about the modern systems working against Africans.
He pays full homage to Jamaica, and the creators of Reggae, Dancehall and other forms of Jamaican music every chance he gets

3) Buju is talking out of his ass here, thinking that because it's a smoke and drink show, the audience doesn't care about facts. There are modern artists across the continent who are making songs about things other than partying.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Drill music is a specific sub genre of hip hop. It's literally false equivalence because hip hop has and has had plenty conscious artists. Are there any sub genres of Afrobeats? Are u saying Afrobeats itself is a sub genre? If so? Of what?

Afrobeats isn’t a genre of music, as already discussed in this thread. Keep up son!

ItsPeople

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nah u just ignorant and moving goal posts away from the initial point.

Guaranteed I know more about how the ancestors communicated to the spirits and black liberation music than you do so miss me with that.

Have you seen the state of “black” music today?

We don’t control jazz, this generation is being peddled pill head and black Klansman music. Rap is filled with n this and n that. Anything seen as uplifting is seen as boring or corny or old man music.

When drums, mizik rasin ,shango and orisha music make a comeback then we can have that discussion.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Guaranteed I know more about how the ancestors communicated to the spirits and black liberation music than you do so miss me with that.

Have you seen the state of “black” music today?

We don’t control jazz, this generation is being peddled pill head and black Klansman music. Rap is filled with n this and n that. Anything seen as uplifting is seen as boring or corny or old man music.

When drums, mizik rasin ,shango and orisha music make a comeback then we can have that discussion.

How can you insist that "shango and orisha music" haven't made a comeback when you don't speak Yoruba? How would you know that Yoruba people don't listen to music about their religion?
:francis:

ItsPeople

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How can you insist that "shango and orisha music" haven't made a comeback when you don't speak Yoruba? How would you know that Yoruba people don't listen to music about their religion?
:francis:

Bold of you to think that some aspects of Yoruba culture didn’t make it over to the western hemisphere during the trans Atlantic space trade.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Bold of you to think that some aspects of Yoruba culture didn’t make it over to the western hemisphere during the trans Atlantic space trade.

You are making an assumption that I don't know that people in Cuba and Brazil still speak Yoruba.

But do YOU speak Yoruba? If not, then keep quiet. You don't know how Yoruba people are venerating their traditional deities.
:mjlol: :dead: