Buju Banton - "Reggae Music Fight to Free Africa, but No African Artist Sings to Free Africa, Just Fukkery!!"

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s crazy how you brought my home girl Gracey in here and she mentioned artists like olamide and the cavemen who I’ve mentioned before. But again we’re actually tapped into the culture

From a mainstream level (Burna, Wizkid, Davido, Rema) global Buju is right - Burna Boy is the only one.

idk if we can expect Davido, Wizkid, Rema to have songs about black empowerment or against oppressive political structure

Buju is talking about music like this->

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Wizkid has songs about African empowerment you just gotta understand pidgin

That's what makes Reggae universal music
Patois is understood more than pidgin. Imo

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wizkid has songs about African empowerment you just gotta understand pidgin

That's what makes Reggae universal music
Patois is understood more than pidgin. Imo

Been following Wizkid since 2010 when he was signed to Banky W

I understand Yoruba and pidgin I can't expect any songs about African empowerment from Wizkid. It would be nice if he released songs (plural) not just 'Ojuelegba' (which in my opinion doesn't hit the mark in terms of 'empowerment')

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Been following Wizkid since 2010 when he was signed to Banky W

I understand Yoruba and pidgin I can't expect any songs about African empowerment from Wizkid. It would be nice if he released songs (plural) not just 'Ojuelegba' (which in my opinion doesn't hit the mark in terms of 'empowerment')
I respect buju as a big man but to be honest when wizkid released that track Buju was still singing about getting girls by gun fight at that age.

There is room for everyone

Sir Jebbi

All Star
Bushed
Daps
I don't really get Afrobeat. In Hiphop, i can measure greatness, whether it is the beat or the lyricism from the Artists. Do Afrobeats have a Nas? Does Afrobeats have a Dr Dre, a Kanye West? It seems like it is cultural based and not talent based. I just listened to a Wizkid song posted in the thread and i just don't get it. Just looks like a random African kid singing poorly to the same repetitive beat :yeshrug:

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't really get Afrobeat. In Hiphop, i can measure greatness, whether it is the beat or the lyricism from the Artists. Do Afrobeats have a Nas? Does Afrobeats have a Dr Dre, a Kanye West? It seems like it is cultural based and not talent based. I just listened to a Wizkid song posted in the thread and i just don't get it. Just looks like a random African kid singing poorly to the same repetitive beat :yeshrug:

Ojuelegba-> He ended up giving the song to Drake. So idk what's 'empowerment' about that from an objective level. I understand not every song is meant for me; from a subjective level, it's simply not a good song. Very surface level

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Ojuelegba-> He ended up giving the song to Drake. So idk what's 'empowerment' about that from an objective level. I understand not every song is meant for me; from a subjective level, it's simply not a good song. Very surface level

You don’t get it but millions in Africa and its diaspora do. Probably because it’s a far removed context for you.

I’ve seen Somalis in America singing out loud the lyrics to this song haha

:blessed:

Also Wizkid never gave the song to Drake. He just featured on it. Maybe you’re thinking of One Dance…