Buju Banton - "Reggae Music Fight to Free Africa, but No African Artist Sings to Free Africa, Just Fukkery!!"

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The problem is that SOME black diasporans and Western black people believe that afrobeats and to a lesser extent, amapiano, represent the totality of African music. These are popular genres of music that are created primarily by pop artists. There are genres which are more explicitly political and about black African liberation.

There are older African genres like rumba/soukous, chimurenga, isicathamiya, benga, mbalax, etc which discuss political issues in great deal often times in witty and thoughtful ways. There are also modern genres such as singeli, zanig, mangoma, sgubhu, pandza and other inexplicable and unnamed styles that are coming out to protest the tyranny of what’s happening in Congo, Kenya, Sudan and the Western Sahel. African music is vast and while often being stereotyped as simplistic and happy go lucky, there is a dark, avant-garde, richly futuristic and philosophical bent to much of the African non-mainstream and “non-global” musics.

Much respect to Buju and his legacy but some of his opinion is myopic and not giving a full picture. Africa is huge and incredibly diverse! Stop focusing on afrobeats, if the music means nothing to you, and find something worth talking about.

@Shabazz - you need to read this about become educated, brother
:mjpls:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It's silly because in Jamaica, the most popular genre of music is Dancehall. Why is Buju Banton not discussing dancehall music in Jamaica and its themes?

This is why op's thread is terrible and he's likely a white supremacist like Clarence Thomas or Uncle Ruckus
@Busted_Toes
this was my exact takeaway from his message. i didn't think it was well thought out tho

i listened to the interview. he also lit up reggaeton

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
this was my exact takeaway from his message. i didn't think it was well thought out tho

i listened to the interview. he also lit up reggaeton

To be honest, I’d like it if the bridge of Dutty Wine spoke about the CIA arming Jamaica’s political factions and creating the drug trade

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
One sided pan africanism, someone send this to tariq:russ:
Why?.... This is between Africans and Jamaicans

Oh.....and pan-africanism is more alive right now than any time in history. All you have to do is look at the trade and migration of African countries within each other compared to any decade.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Buju and others have this myopic belief that Africans Understand what it means to be black and progressive and have it reflected in their music. Sorry to disappoint you buddy, but they are at the bottom of the list amongst those in the diaspora who think freeing Black people is a priority of any kind.

Fela complained about Africa in the same manner

Last edited:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I guess he doesn't listen to Mdou Moctar, Lucky Dube, Fela Kuti etc. etc.

Breh! :dahell: You should know better. Afrobeat is not the same as Afrobeats. Buju was talking about Afrobeats. Fela Kuti and the rest of your list is Afrobeat.

May you lose the jollof championship next year and Senegal reigns for the next 3 years. :scust: