Buju Banton - "Reggae Music Fight to Free Africa, but No African Artist Sings to Free Africa, Just Fukkery!!"

Shabazz

All Star
Daps
Travis Scott isn’t mainstream?

How come you’re not holding African American artists from your own ethnic group to the same standard?
:unimpressed:
There are/were mainstream hiphop artists who rap about consciousness lol wtf. Look at kendrick. The argument isnt that all of them should talk about it but atleast some of the mainstream ones should. Why do they have zero responsibility?

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
There are/were mainstream hiphop artists who rap about consciousness lol wtf. Look at kendrick. The argument isnt that all of them should talk about it but atleast some of the mainstream ones should. Why do they have zero responsibility?

And they are. So what’s your point?

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
Mad respect when he started calling out culture vultures for taking their shyt and ostracizing them. Calling his music kings music :ehh:

I’m with him

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Our people don’t need anymore motivating from music to lift themselves up from their situations.

They need jobs, connections, and tangibles that will be there for them after their hard work at college or tradeschool.

Ask the coli brehs that are in the mass layoff thread what’s more important.

Dude just be quiet…..

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
you guys need to stop using afrobeats interchangeably with african music and maybe then this convo might go somewhere.

Afrobeats is mainly a Nigerian and Ghanian genre and yes they are conscious music artists in those spaces but they are mostly local artists

I'm pretty sure Olamide and Falz rap about that type of thing as well but this is what happens when you are not really entrenched in the community like that.

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
The majority of major afrobeats artists have released music raising awareness on African liberation it's not all just get down shake ur booty.

Maybe you gotta understand a bit of pidgin to realise this

I don't think this song is ordinary

One of the most pan africanist, uplifting the image of African beauty standards type of songs u can get

Seun Kuti still upholding fela legacy

Non mainstream Africa music like Sonia I met her brother

Last edited:

98Ntu

Peace ✌🏿
Daps
The problem is that SOME black diasporans and Western black people believe that afrobeats and to a lesser extent, amapiano, represent the totality of African music. These are popular genres of music that are created primarily by pop artists. There are genres which are more explicitly political and about black African liberation.

There are older African genres like rumba/soukous, chimurenga, isicathamiya, benga, mbalax, etc which discuss political issues in great deal often times in witty and thoughtful ways. There are also modern genres such as singeli, zanig, mangoma, sgubhu, pandza and other inexplicable and unnamed styles that are coming out to protest the tyranny of what’s happening in Congo, Kenya, Sudan and the Western Sahel. African music is vast and while often being stereotyped as simplistic and happy go lucky, there is a dark, avant-garde, richly futuristic and philosophical bent to much of the African non-mainstream and “non-global” musics.

Much respect to Buju and his legacy but some of his opinion is myopic and not giving a full picture. Africa is huge and incredibly diverse! Stop focusing on afrobeats, if the music means nothing to you, and find something worth talking about.

Last edited:
Daps
like any other genre i don't really pay attention to who is "major", i just know what is fire and what i put on my playlist. but i assume they are big cuz i heard of them for a reason. afrobeats is not really a genre i go digging into and keep up with on a daily like i would hip hop lol :yeshrug:

wiz kid, juls, ruger, kizz daniel, runtown, tiwa... etc.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
The problem is that SOME black diasporans and Western black people believe that afrobeats and to a lesser extent, amapiano, represent the totality of African music. These are popular genres of music that are created primarily by pop artists. There are genres which are more explicitly political and about black African liberation.

There are older African genres like rumba/soukous, chimurenga, isicathamiya, benga, mbalax, etc which discuss political issues in great deal often times in witty and thoughtful ways. There are also modern genres such as singeli, zanig, mangoma, sgubhu, padza and other inexplicable and unnamed styles that are coming out to protest the tyranny of what’s happening in Congo, Kenya, Sudan and the Western Sahel. African music is vast and while often being stereotyped as simplistic and happy go lucky, there is a dark, avant-garde, richly futuristic and philosophical bent to much of the African non-mainstream and “non-global” musics.

Much respect to Buju and his legacy but some of his opinion is myopic and not giving a full picture. Africa is huge and incredibly diverse! Stop focusing on afrobeats, if the music means nothing to you, and find something worth talking about.
10/10 People that have not been embedded in the culture always got the most to say, shout out to Buji but I promise doing a "3 week" tour in Kenya, Ghana, and South Africa dont cover shyt. Like have you seen the Sahel recently and seen what Traore is doing? What about the horn and places Like ethiopia. They keep trying to paint Africa like a monolithic country and this is why I don't take these convos seriously at all

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
What did my guy say about the current state of Dancehall?
:mjlol:

Going to jail for selling poison that for damn well sure went into black neighborhood.

Jamaicans going ham for the release of Vybz Kartel.

There's enough reggae Artist that are on their fukkery, I love he mans music, but I hate when "holier than thou" cruffs do this lol.

You know he's talking about coke
:lolbron:

but the track is fire tho
:ohlawd:

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Banton need to do some more digging in the vaults. The same language barrier(s) that had palefaces thinking calypso was just party music, or dancehall was just slackness music, will be even moreso with various African genres.

What you're shown isn't all that exists.
Their media isn't going to spotlight things for your benefit.
You'd better start brushing up on your languages.

Our people don’t need anymore motivating from music to lift themselves up from their situations.

They need jobs, connections, and tangibles that will be there for them after their hard work at college or tradeschool.

Ask the coli brehs that are in the mass layoff thread what’s more important.

It's not an either-or thing. A well rounded life has both and more.

There's even a strong argument that we need daily-affirmation/motivational music more than any. Scattershot rage music by itself cannot fill that space.

Quick gun to anyone's head can they mention to me a major afrobeats artist thats isnt Burna, Davido, Rema, Asake, Tems, or Ayra Starr.

I need to see something real quick :patrice:

Does Juls count :lupe: