Buju Banton - "Reggae Music Fight to Free Africa, but No African Artist Sings to Free Africa, Just Fukkery!!"

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He talking about the new artists?

Cuz the old school artists definitely sang about freeing AFrica, ie Alpha Blondy, Lucky Dube, Fela and Femi Kuti

Even new school(or dancehall) reggae artists sing alot of nursery rhyme stuff these days

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is like asking why K pop artists are not making revolutionary music about the opprssive capitalism in South Korea.

There are dozens of africans artists singing abiut the struggle for decades.

You won't find them among the 'afrobeats' singer. It's not its purpose/DNA

Afrobeat (without the S) had Fela Kuti: he sang about oppression :

This was the original Afrobeat. I feel the term has been hijacked. Now they put Afro in front of anything. I've seen Afrobeat snakcs, Afro beat market, etc etc. It's like everybody taking a piece of it and putting it in front of something.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
He talking about the new artists?

Cuz the old school artists definitely sang about freeing AFrica, ie Alpha Blondy, Lucky Dube, Fela and Femi Kuti

Even new school(or dancehall) reggae artists sing alot of nursery rhyme stuff these days

Free Africa from what?

Back then the struggles were more clear. Apartheid was still a thing. France had a tighter stronghold on it's former colonies. There was an easier boogie man to point at. And even still, most African artists didn't have the depth to attack such topics in their music the way those artists you mentioned did

Today it's corrupt politicians. And even then, people don't see the government as something to be freed from. It's more of, "aight, the government on their bullshyt. We gonna get money regardless". I can't overemphasize how much this impacts the popular music today.

This was the original Afrobeat. I feel the term has been hijacked. Now they put Afro in front of anything. I've seen Afrobeat snakcs, Afro beat market, etc etc. It's like everybody taking a piece of it and putting it in front of something.

To be honest, by the time the Afrobeats term was coined, Afrobeat (after Fela's death) was relegated to a niche domain in and outside Africa. The vast majority of Africans had moved on long before the new sound that came on the scene. And the Afrobeats tag was done lazily... It wasn't done to tap into the popularity of Afrobeat... Around 2008, Afrobeat wasn't popular (in Africa) beyond being legacy music

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If this was a FBA rapper saying this(concious rapper) or not, the responses wouldn't have been so cordial...... interesting

That would be due to the state of mainstream rap.

If it was an FBA reggae artist, the response would be the same.

You would've made more sense saying, although I would've still disagreed
If this was a FBA reggae artists saying this(concious/roots reggae) or not, the responses wouldn't have been so cordial...... interesting

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
That would be due to the state of mainstream rap.

If it was an FBA reggae artist, the response would be the same.

You would've made more sense saying, although I would've still disagreed
no i got it right the first time

if a fba rapper said this, it would be bubububu but what about the degeneracy in gangatsarap,drill hip hop etc.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is like asking why K pop artists are not making revolutionary music about the opprssive capitalism in South Korea.

There are dozens of africans artists singing abiut the struggle for decades.

You won't find them among the 'afrobeats' singer. It's not its purpose/DNA

Afrobeat (without the S) had Fela Kuti: he sang about oppression :

Exactly. If you want conscious music about the deplorable state in African countries (Nigeria), listen to Fela Kuti, listen to Nneka, etc

But Afrobeats is not made for that.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We gotta be the only people who think music can change our overall condition on this planet
:dead:
But let a white kid kill a cop and they wanted to ban the whole of rap

Stay woke black man

Man Buju is a jinnal

Great artist, outside that I have no words. Not expecting no integrity from the Rasta that sell coke and smoke cigarettes :obama:

RehReh

đź–¤GhettoEmpressđź–¤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
But let a white kid kill a cop and they wanted to ban the whole of rap

Stay woke black man

Great artist, outside that I have no words. Not expecting no integrity from the Rasta that sell coke and smoke cigarettes :obama:
Ras a bun a frass

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani
It seems black people worldwide don't understand the power of propaganda in art, especially to the youth. Singing about positivity and national pride won't turn Nigeria into Singapore, lol. But substanceless art doesn't last either and harms the music industry itself. Internationally, reggae is bigger than dancehall, ask yourself why this is.