Bryce Young official height: 5'10" Are you concerned?

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
There are so many more factors though, all I'm saying.

Von Miller arm length/wingspan for example is below average for his position and he may be one of the most insane edge rushers we've ever seen in their prime because of all the other intangibles.

A lot of people missed on some really good prospects because they were focused on the measuring tape too much. Bruce Irvin is another one.

Of course more goes into it. However for those positions wingspan has ALWAYS been a

Every situation in the world has its share of outliers and anomalies. Mentioning 2 guys at that position doesn't erase the myriad guys who couldn't cut it due to just not being built properly for the demands of the position. Ereck Flowers is a great example of this: drafted number 9 overall at LT. An OT drafted 9 overall is supposed to be a cornerstone guy for at least a decade for you. However due to his short arms he just couldn't cut it as an OT, got moved to OG and now can actually continue playing in the league because his wingspan is more suited for Guard than at Tackle. His career would be over if he stayed on the outside.

Lastly, if you grade out 2 guys at those positions and they grade out fairly similarly, you'd be an idiot not to draft the guy with the longer wingspan. Not saying it's the only factor at certain positions, but yes it's a very critical factor at those positions.

broller

Veteran
Daps

Von Miller arm length/wingspan for example is below average for his position and he may be one of the most insane edge rushers we've ever seen in their prime because of all the other intangibles.

A lot of people missed on some really good prospects because they were focused on the measuring tape too much. Bruce Irvin, Brandon Graham are other edge rushers who were critical for Super Bowl-winning teams.

Obviously everyone wants measurables in terms of size, but like you said, guys like you mentioned plus Dwight Freeney, James Harrison have had success.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Accuracy might be the hardest thing to teach atthe next level. And yes Bryce size is cause for hesitation, he also probably walks around at 185
I think AR15’s issue is mental. Dude be overthinking shyt and not letting the game come to you

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
Young just looks so slight. That what concerns me. Wilson a legit 220 lbs.

Brees was fortunate to have an all time great offensive minded coach. He didn't like like a HOFer in San Diego.

Kyler Murray is short and skinny and he always struggles during 2nd half of the year when injuries pile up.

We know the deal with Tua so yea the size should be a concern for Bryce Young

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Bryce is surgical, the film shows a well oiled machine who's so consistent with his mechanics/anticipation/accuracy you can drop him in an NFL offense tomorrow and he'll survive.

The concern isn't just that he's short, he's also a twig. He's smaller than Kyler without the Kyler physical tools, even Tua has 20-30 lbs on him and we just saw him get ragdolled multiple times last season. Anyone not worried about how he'll hold up over the course of a 17 game season isn't being honest.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay

A lot of people missed on some really good prospects because they were focused on the measuring tape too much. Bruce Irvin, Brandon Graham are other edge rushers who were critical for Super Bowl-winning teams.
yeah
nick bosa wingspan was 16th percentile and armlength was 37th percentile

edit: I actually looked it up and Von was 86th percentile in arm length :heh:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Of course more goes into it. However for those positions wingspan has ALWAYS been a

Every situation in the world has its share of outliers and anomalies. Mentioning 2 guys at that position doesn't erase the myriad guys who couldn't cut it due to just not being built properly for the demands of the position. Ereck Flowers is a great example of this: drafted number 9 overall at LT. An OT drafted 9 overall is supposed to be a cornerstone guy for at least a decade for you. However due to his short arms he just couldn't cut it as an OT, got moved to OG and now can actually continue playing in the league because his wingspan is more suited for Guard than at Tackle. His career would be over if he stayed on the outside.

Lastly, if you grade out 2 guys at those positions and they grade out fairly similarly, you'd be an idiot not to draft the guy with the longer wingspan. Not saying it's the only factor at certain positions, but yes it's a very critical factor at those positions.

I get what you're saying, but look at my original point though. It's really hard to say because no two players are ever the same, where the only difference is the wingspan or arm length. To my original point:
Somebody short who can make plays by finding windows in the trenches >>>> somebody who's tall, can see over the line but can't make as good plays.

The only thing that matters is if the pass can get to where it needs to and if the player can do that.

It's like when people get too obsessed with wingspans and metrics rather than someone who's insanely talented.

If somebody has proven they can make it happen, then they probably can make it happen.

All I'm saying: at the end of the day, the result is still what matters, not the potential. If someone like Bryce Young can make plays at 5'10 then he can make plays, maybe dude has incredible vision/eyesight and other intangibles not explicitly noticeable (one of the reasons why Barry Bonds was a great hitter and what held Jameis Winston back). It's about focusing on what someone can do that others can't vs what they're "missing".

Somebody like CP3 can see some unique passing lanes because he's short and slips the ball places taller players have no chance to get to. Kyrie is so effective partly because can dribble through a key hole and destroy taller defenders because they can't turn like he can. There's always a counter to something and an advantage can always be exploited which is why games, security, businesses, competition, trends, etc. always goes back and forth and metas change.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I'd draft Stroud over him if I had a top pick. The height is whatever, but the weight (which will prob lower post-combine) and hand size would concern me. Is he better than Stroud? Sure. But I wouldn't take the risk on drafting a guy that high with these measurables.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he’s truly 185, that’s the bigger issue. Garcia played at that weight and was able to take the hits

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Out of ll thise short qbs, I've never seen one with as flawless mechanics as this guy. And his knowledge of defenses appear to be head and shoulders above most college qbs.
any qb looks good behind a great line. the nfl will be different for sure, who knows