Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
image0.png

Now we cooking

COQWAVE

the real puff daddy
Daps
Been meaning to, heard the controls can get annoying though.

D2 is supposed to be a real good scary game, then there is the always reliable 3 resident evil games: 2, 3 and code veronica
i want to try d2 but its like 5 disks :picard: and to burn like 8 i read :mjcry:

i heard that u can make the dreamcast more hd looking im thinking about upgrading the video quality, whats better the vga box or hdmi?

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
i want to try d2 but its like 5 disks :picard: and to burn like 8 i read :mjcry:

i heard that u can make the dreamcast more hd looking im thinking about upgrading the video quality, whats better the vga box or hdmi?

Long post, bare with me

You got a few options at the moment and none include the VGA box, we now have proper HDMI options that do the same thing for less hassle.

The best of the best at the moment is the Akura Box from beharbros. Its about 80 total bucks which includes the shipping and handling, includes switches to toggle scanlines and picture brightness and has the ability to swap between 15hz (interlaced aka 480i) and 30hz (progressive aka 480p) to trick a few of the games that don't natively boot in VGA but can be forced like Mortal Kombat Gold. Currently what I'm using and loving it.

1a1987_2ef0f1aa2cea4fc8a9e0b4497e9c468d~mv2.webp

https://www.beharbros.com/akura

Another option that was popular last year that was released is the Kuro, which is a smaller lite version of the Akura which removes the scanline features. But still supports a proper crisp progressive image and the 15z/30hz swap switch. This is 50 dollars including the shipping and handling.

1a1987_91fae1a942ca4c8a8b673cde85fc69f1.webp

https://www.beharbros.com/kuro

Now very recently Beharbros released an updated version of the Kuro that includes a Scart cable input. Long story very short, although most games that are 15hz can be forced to 30hz like we discussed, there is a small list of like 20 games that will not work with a VGA or HDMI at all and demands a 15hz cable which for most of us has been ugly ass red white and yellow composite cables. It only will show a 480i image and that's the end of it. Luckily outside of america, Europe used the Scart cable for their electronics, which is far superior to composite cables in everyway.

811M97DwLgL._SX425_.jpg

Back on topic, the new Kuro Plus version has the input slot added to plug this cable into the adapter and it only costs 10 dollars more, so 60 dollars shipped.

https://www.beharbros.com/copy-of-kuro

Also, there are a bunch of Scart to HDMI adapters you can buy on amazon or ebay which is what you'd need to plug this cable into your television. Very common and very cheap.

1080P SCART To HDMI Video Audio Upscale Converter Adapter for HD TV DVD SkyBox | eBay

Now these 3 options above are for quality and considered the best of the best. However there are cheaper options, specifically two cables that are popular for small budgets.

The Pound HD Link cable is a basic straight transfer....playing dreamcast on HDMI, that's it. No Scanlines, no progressive swap tricks, basic "aight" picture image, just plug and play. You can cop these on ebay or amazon for 30 bucks

s-l500.jpg

[OFFICIAL] Pound Technology HD Link Cable for the Sega Dreamcast 735935998701 | eBay

Even cheaper is the Hyperkin cable, exactly the same as the pound cable...just less expensive at 19.95. Ive heard online though that the image isn't as good as the pound cable.

s-l500.jpg

HDMI HD AV Cable for the SEGA Dreamcast - Hyperkin High Def - BRAND NEW IN BOX 813048019978 | eBay

Now personally I wouldn't use either of these two cables, but I'm hardcore when it comes to dreamcast picture quality. If you just trying to play Dreamcast on your LG or Samsung TV and don't care about shyt like scanlines and the purest image you can't beat a 20 or 30 dollar cable to just make your dreamcast modern. Otherwise if you don't wanna shell out the 80 I'd highly recommend the Kuro or Kuro plus version.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Great writeup. I'll add, I have the Pound cable. It works good enough, but 99% of my DC usage is good MVC2 (need to go revisit some stuff, have to find some time). If you have to go cheap, or oddly have no use of the advanced feature, I can vouch for it. If I get back into DC for real, I'll get an Akura though.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
A week ago, I bought an AV2HDMI converter on Amazon. Plugged my DC up to it and now shyt was en fuego. I was playing NBA on NBC Showtime and Crazy Taxi today. I still have all the rars from the whole echelon/kalisto releases. Just need some new cds

COQWAVE

the real puff daddy
Daps
Long post, bare with me

You got a few options at the moment and none include the VGA box, we now have proper HDMI options that do the same thing for less hassle.

The best of the best at the moment is the Akura Box from beharbros. Its about 80 total bucks which includes the shipping and handling, includes switches to toggle scanlines and picture brightness and has the ability to swap between 15hz (interlaced aka 480i) and 30hz (progressive aka 480p) to trick a few of the games that don't natively boot in VGA but can be forced like Mortal Kombat Gold. Currently what I'm using and loving it.

1a1987_2ef0f1aa2cea4fc8a9e0b4497e9c468d~mv2.webp

https://www.beharbros.com/akura

Another option that was popular last year that was released is the Kuro, which is a smaller lite version of the Akura which removes the scanline features. But still supports a proper crisp progressive image and the 15z/30hz swap switch. This is 50 dollars including the shipping and handling.

1a1987_91fae1a942ca4c8a8b673cde85fc69f1.webp

https://www.beharbros.com/kuro

Now very recently Beharbros released an updated version of the Kuro that includes a Scart cable input. Long story very short, although most games that are 15hz can be forced to 30hz like we discussed, there is a small list of like 20 games that will not work with a VGA or HDMI at all and demands a 15hz cable which for most of us has been ugly ass red white and yellow composite cables. It only will show a 480i image and that's the end of it. Luckily outside of america, Europe used the Scart cable for their electronics, which is far superior to composite cables in everyway.

811M97DwLgL._SX425_.jpg

Back on topic, the new Kuro Plus version has the input slot added to plug this cable into the adapter and it only costs 10 dollars more, so 60 dollars shipped.

https://www.beharbros.com/copy-of-kuro

Also, there are a bunch of Scart to HDMI adapters you can buy on amazon or ebay which is what you'd need to plug this cable into your television. Very common and very cheap.

1080P SCART To HDMI Video Audio Upscale Converter Adapter for HD TV DVD SkyBox | eBay

Now these 3 options above are for quality and considered the best of the best. However there are cheaper options, specifically two cables that are popular for small budgets.

The Pound HD Link cable is a basic straight transfer....playing dreamcast on HDMI, that's it. No Scanlines, no progressive swap tricks, basic "aight" picture image, just plug and play. You can cop these on ebay or amazon for 30 bucks

s-l500.jpg

[OFFICIAL] Pound Technology HD Link Cable for the Sega Dreamcast 735935998701 | eBay

Even cheaper is the Hyperkin cable, exactly the same as the pound cable...just less expensive at 19.95. Ive heard online though that the image isn't as good as the pound cable.

s-l500.jpg

HDMI HD AV Cable for the SEGA Dreamcast - Hyperkin High Def - BRAND NEW IN BOX 813048019978 | eBay

Now personally I wouldn't use either of these two cables, but I'm hardcore when it comes to dreamcast picture quality. If you just trying to play Dreamcast on your LG or Samsung TV and don't care about shyt like scanlines and the purest image you can't beat a 20 or 30 dollar cable to just make your dreamcast modern. Otherwise if you don't wanna shell out the 80 I'd highly recommend the Kuro or Kuro plus version.
thx alot g, im def gonna buy one of those, probably one of the cheaper ones tho tbh, im not as hardcore as u breh LOL i just want a better visual the rgb cables are :scusthov: