Broke my damn dreamcast *Tenchi's Dreamcast blog thread*

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
A nice lil come back to the beginning moment....

The whole reason I made this thread is because my original OG dreamcast I bought in 99 died....specifically I fukked around with the laser and damaged it. But ole bessy still works, turns on, main menu and everything. Just can't read discs

WP_20180714_22_37_00_Pro_2.jpg

So I really wanna get her back up and running since she was with me since the beginning, so I've been looking into the GDEMU scene and did not realize how damn simple this is

Apparently some dudes on the dreamcast reddit found a new clone gdemu that is 100 bucks, and apparent increase in price but its got me interested in trying it out. Since Dreamcast lasers will die at some point to be able to completely remove this hurdle has me really interested. Think I'm gonna try this out.

jackdiy Sega DC Dreamcast optical drive simulation board GDEMU

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Damn this thing is awesome

Took on my FightStick, PS4 Hori Fighting Commander and my PS3 Madcatz fight pad with ease, didn't break a sweat. And playing my 15 year old PSO save with a DS4 legit blew my mind....

Found a nice little work around for the lack of VMU support. Not all, but a nice portion of Dreamcast games don't require you to have a VMU in the first controller slot to load it, so a nice work around is plugging a VMU into a controller that's plugged into any other controller spot, I was using the 4th slot all the way on the end and out the way. Now for some games it works, some it dont...if I had to guess, the closer the game is to the end of dreamcast, the higher the chances. Street Fighter 3 Third strike had no issues loading save data from the 4th controller automatically while Street Fighter 3 Second Impact was not going and required you to have a VMU in the first controller.

Last edited:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Went ahead and copped. Gonna hook the old trusty DC back up:ohlawd:
Got the cable. My baby still works.:blessed: Can't find my converter to hook up my arcade stick, but MVC2 felt responsive in game mode, along with the other 2 or 3 games I found that work. Now, to download and burn some classics:wow:

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
if there was a way to mod a dreamcast to play from a hdd or sd card i'd be interested

Would love to know if thats also possible for the PS1
Yep, what you want to look into is gdemu, it replaces the laser reader in the dreamcast for a SD card slot. And its dogshyt simple to install, literally just a swap of the unit with no soldiering required.

dreamcast-with-gdemu-small.jpg