Bright (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer) thread

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I get what Chance is saying, but he's wrong about one point.

Racism isn't gone in the world the film takes place in.

It's not at the forefront of the story being told, but it's still there. When Jakoby says something about Orcs being blamed for everything because of one old mistake the Mexican Sheriff says "Hey don't look at me, Latino's are still getting shyt for the Alamo". There are a few other lines throughout the film that point to racism still being an issue in their world.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
Where do I even begin with this wack ass movie :mjlol:

- No world development or explanation to how it came to be that way.

- Main characters have as much depth as a puddle...like they didn't even bother to develop the main characters nonetheless any of the supporting characters.

- Black people and Mexicans literally had the most stereotypical roles I've seen in years...:huhldup: literally all of the elves were Anglo.

- So no explaination to how Will was able to hold the wand and it changing colors?

The more I think about this movie the more it pisses me off.. nonsense about a prophecy that they don't explain and some cat in the beginning swinging his sword around speaking in orc..trash

:trash::trash::trash:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family

- Main characters have as much depth as a puddle...like they didn't even bother to develop the main characters nonetheless any of the supporting characters.

- Black people and Mexicans literally had the most stereotypical roles I've seen in years...:huhldup: literally all of the elves were Anglo.

- So no explaination to how Will was able to hold the wand and it changing colors?

The more I think about this movie the more it pisses me off.. nonsense about a prophecy that they don't explain and some cat in the beginning swinging his sword around speaking in orc..trash

Did you even pay attention to the film or you just too busy looking for things to complain about?

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get what Chance is saying, but he's wrong about one point.

Racism isn't gone in the world the film takes place in.

It's not at the forefront of the story being told, but it's still there. When Jakoby says something about Orcs being blamed for everything because of one old mistake the Mexican Sheriff says "Hey don't look at me, Latino's are still getting shyt for the Alamo". There are a few other lines throughout the film that point to racism still being an issue in their world.

Yea, race/racism as a topic is all throughout this movie in an underlying way. It's just softened because "fictional" or fantasy characters are the subjects but we all know it's based on real life and reality.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Movie wasnt as bad as critics made it out to be. Definately had elements of training day and probably the closest will get from will in terms of a bad boys movie. There definately are plot holes in the story which hopefully a sequel is in the works to explain some of the shyt going on. But all in all this movie did one job which was keep me entertained.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
It's a good movie no doubt but I'm really not a fan of Hollywood downplaying shyt like that. It's gone hurt us in the long run

It's not downplaying; it's social commentary; satirical. However, the average person doesn't fully understand satire. That's why it's rarely hits with the average movie-watcher. Satire plays out better in books, but...

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Everything you're complaining about was explained or shown in the film.

Some of yall clearly don't pay attention when watching movies.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
This movie was dope AF. I get why critics didn't like it. Hell, it practically puts "people" on front street in the first 15 mins. This movie's social overtones were great - some people are going to dislike it for that reason, some people aren't going to understand it. It's far from buddy-cop though; they don't even like each other. It's not even Training Day; it's more Alien Nation mixed with today's social injustices than anything.

I do love that they just drop you in the world that it is. The dialog between the cops tell you everything that you need to know about the species relations of the world. BTW, you see who are in power, who "control the world" and then you see who also has the wand (power). What are others willing to do to get a hold of that power? Every one wants to be in a better position than they are in.

Now, since they are hinting at bigger threats, so because everything is out of the way as far as tone, they can explore it like a regular movie. But this was great. I hope it really does numbers as far as Netflix goes.