Bright (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer) thread

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
I just finished this and i was not blown away. I enjoyed the fantasy stuff but i keep thinking what message was they trying to push in this. Also felt like the story was weak but i guess they plan to flesh it more in the sequels. Dark lord? Jarik? Dragons?? Show me more of all that shyt in this one not the sequel!

He has a white wife but why? She's in that brief scene in the beginning and right after that the blk gangbanger neighbor makes some comment of how fine she is...ie a blk men thirsting over white women message.:beli:

On the surface it seems like a buddy cop movie with a fantasy twist but i keep wondering why were they cops exactly? Was it for the gunplay because they could have just as easily have been security guys or even gangbangers themselves, ppl who could have experience with guns without being cops. So i feel it was some pro or anti message on cops but not sure what it was. Also didn't like how angry and mean Will Smith's character was in the first half of this shyt, kinda took me out of it. The fantasy stuff brought me back. Definitely feel like this could be better as a series.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Where do you get movie scripts from :feedme:?
i don't even know. probably reddit? or maybe i just asked for them in the comment section of scriptshadow. i talk to a lot of screenwriters, so i have "contacts" for stuff like this, but i think i got these from scriptshadow

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

Written by Max Landis

"Max Landis wrote the script that CAA is currently shopping to studios, though Warner Bros. has the edge

Will Smith and Joel Edgerton are attached to star in “Bright,” a cop thriller with fantasy elements that David Ayer will direct from a script by Max Landis (“Chronicle”),TheWrap has learned.

CAA is currently shopping the project, though one insider suggests that Warner Bros. is the most likely home for the project, as the studio just wrapped Ayer’s “Suicide Squad” starring Smith.

“Bright” was one of 13 projects approved for a tax credit from the California Film Commission, and the company that submitted an application for that incentive was WB Studio Enterprises Inc. The state approved “Bright” for a tax credit worth $7.2 million — an indicator that the film will have a significant budget.

An individual familiar with the situation told TheWrap that “Bright” was poised to land at Warner Bros. but the deal never closed, prompting CAA to take the project out to the town. However, they cautioned that it could still land at Warners.

Set in a world where orcs and fairies live among humans, “Bright” boasts a unique protagonist in the form of an orc cop.

Ayer hopes to fit the project into his fall schedule before Warner Bros. brings him and Smith back for a planned “Suicide Squad” sequel in 2017.

Smith just started filming “Collateral Beauty” for Warners’ New Line label, while Edgerton next stars in WB’s sci-fi movie “Midnight Special” as well as another Jeff Nichols film — the interracial marriage drama “Loving” with Ruth Negga."

Will Smith, Joel Edgerton to Star in David Ayer's Cop Thriller 'Bright'

3.5 outta 5

It was a little too much like training day at times

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
i don't even know. probably reddit? or maybe i just asked for them in the comment section of scriptshadow. i talk to a lot of screenwriters, so i have "contacts" for stuff like this, but i think i got these from scriptshadow
I check out the SW section on Red. It's filled with some douches tho. :hhh:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
On the surface it seems like a buddy cop movie with a fantasy twist but i keep wondering why were they cops exactly? Was it for the gunplay because they could have just as easily have been security guys or even gangbangers themselves, ppl who could have experience with guns without being cops. So i feel it was some pro or anti message on cops but not sure what it was. Also didn't like how angry and mean Will Smith's character was in the first half of this shyt, kinda took me out of it. The fantasy stuff brought me back. Definitely feel like this could be better as a series.

Honest answer? Because they were copying from an existing template:

I liked it, but it's not a 100% original concept.

Cheercomp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I actually had them in drive:

Landis original
Ayer re-write

like i said, very good example of the old screenwriting adage "write something familiar but new" but i'm shocked Netflix blew their load on it.

Where do you find scripts at? I've run across some in various places, but i find some of these very interesting to read

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
a bit heavy handed with the racial tropes. is with smith a bright?