"BRICK CITY" THE OFFICIAL NEWARK DISCUSSION THREAD

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
110-Room Hotel Could Rise Atop a Newark Parking Garage

Comfort-Inn-Suites-Frelinghuysen-Avenue-Newark.jpg

An unconventional plan to construct a hotel on top of an airport parking garage in Newark’s South Ward has resurfaced in a slightly different way.

Back in 2016, a proposal by 98 Frelinghuysen Real Estate Urban Renewal Entity, LLC to bring a 129-room hotel to 94-120 Frelinghuysen Avenue was revealed. At the time, the company received approvals from the Newark Zoning Board of Adjustment to construct a four-story hotel that would be attached to the Secure Newark Airport Parking (SNAP) garage at the corner of Poinier Street. There were also plans for a “sky lobby” with “a bar and breakfast buffet area, a fitness center, business center, meeting room, and lounge,” a legal notice stated at the time.

In the nearly three years since the project was approved, there has been barely any news regarding the hotel proposal. The eight-story SNAP garage has continued operating on the premises just as it has been since it was converted from an abandoned factory to a parking garage in 2012. However, a new ordinance shows that the developer is still planning a hotel on the premises.

The proposal by the 98 Frelinghuysen Real Estate Urban Renewal Entity now calls for the hotel to consist of 110 rooms and for it to be constructed “above the existing parking garage,” according to city records. The website of the State College, Pennsylvania-based Shaner Group features a rendering of the three-story rooftop project and shows that the hotel is expected to be a Comfort Inn & Suites location. Meanwhile, according to Chafia Capital Partners, there are still plans for an “outdoor balcony, bar and breakfast lounge, fitness center, business center, and meeting facilities” as part of the 71,000-square-foot development.

In addition, the developer, which already received a 20-year tax abatement for the parking garage, now wants not a 21-year, not a 22-year, but a 23-year tax abatement in connection with the hotel project. The ordinance states that the company applied to Mayor Ras Baraka for the tax abatement and that the mayor has recommended it to the Newark Municipal Council.

Like nearly all other tax abatement ordinances in Newark, this one states that “the Department of Economic and Housing Development has determined…that the relative benefits of this project outweigh any costs associated with this tax exemption and that without the tax abatement granted herein, the project would not be undertaken.” The developer is expected to pay at least $100,000 in an annual service charge to City Hall for the hotel and 15 percent of the parking garage’s annual gross revenues as part of the deal.

98 Frelinghuysen Real Estate Urban Renewal Entity, LLC owns the property in question and is planning to “deliver a site pad” as part of the project. The firm is registered out of a Bayonne warehouse. The ordinance granting the tax abatement to the LLC was passed by the Newark Municipal Council on first reading earlier this month and could be finally approved during the special meeting on Tuesday, March 26, at 10:00 a.m.

Aside from the apparent design of the hotel atop an existing parking garage, this project is especially unique because of its location. 94-120 Frelinghuysen Avenue is situated in a very industrial section of the South Ward that does not have any other hotels in the immediate vicinity. The immediate area is also not served by public transportation, though it will be exactly one mile north of the Newark Liberty International Airport PATH Station if the transit hub ends up being completed. The property is a three-mile drive north of the airport’s terminals and has easy access to Route 21.

110-Room Hotel Could Rise Atop a Newark Parking Garage | Jersey Digs

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Brewing Company Could Open in Downtown Newark

New-Jersey-Bell-building-540-Broad-Street-Newark-hero-1.jpg

When thinking of breweries in Newark, the massive Anheuser-Busch plant on Routes 1 and 9 likely comes to mind or perhaps the relatively recent All Points West Distillery in the Ironbound. The city was also once home to a Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery in the West Ward, the Ballantine Brewing Company in the East Ward, and several other beer production plants. Now, a Downtown Newark building that was constructed back in the heyday of Newark’s brewing industry could soon possibly be home to a small brewery itself.

A firm called the Brick City Brewing Company has applied to the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control for a “limited brewing license” to be used at 540 Broad Street, according to a legal notice that was issued in February. Located opposite Washington Park, the address in question contains the former New Jersey Bell Headquarters Building, which is in the process of being converted by L+M Development Partners into the Walker House development with stores, apartments, and office space.

However, few details are known about the proposed Brick City Brewing Company. The notice mentions that the business is expected to include a retail showroom and that the sole corporate stockholder of the firm is Stephen Hughes of Montclair. State business filings show that a company called Brick City Brewing, LLC was registered out of Upper Montclair last September. Meanwhile, a new website that is still in the process of being developed is advertising a business called “Bell House Brewing” that is slated to open in the building in 2020, describing the facility as “Newark’s first modern day craft brewery and taproom.”

Assuming that the Brick City Brewing Company ends up moving into the Walker House project as the firm is currently seeking to do, they would join a rock climbing gym that is already slated to occupy a significant portion of the building’s retail space, according to a listing from Pierson Commercial Real Estate that we first told you about last month. The name of the rock climbing facility has yet to be revealed. In addition, Senator Cory Booker’s presidential campaign headquarters will occupy part of the office space, according to NJ Advance Media.

Attempts to reach Hughes, L+M, and Pierson Commercial Real Estate for comment were unsuccessful.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
How a laundry room revolutionized a New Jersey high school

Last Updated Mar 26, 2019 8:19 PM EDT

"The big room" at West Side High School in Newark, New Jersey, is where principal Akbar Cook stores hundreds of donated bottles of laundry detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheets. The big room was a solution to a big problem.

"My kids weren't coming to school,'" he said.

Some of the students weren't showing up because they were wearing dirty clothes and getting bullied.

"I think we really put the microscope on basic needs of kids. Everyone wants the high test scores, everyone wants them to perform well. But if the kid doesn't feel confidence in just coming to school, being that person we know they can be, then what are we doing," Cook said.

Today, West Side High School has five commercial grade washing machines and dryers. Deshon Denny and Briana Singleton use them all the time.

"When we got it, I ain't gonna lie, I was kind of scared to bring my clothes over. But I just shrugged it off and when I went to Cook I asked him, 'Can I use the laundromat?' He was like, 'No, you good, we are nothing but family,'" Singleton said.

Jeff Glor speaks with West Side High School principal Akbar Cook CBS NEWS
Cook, who grew up in Newark, also started a program called "Lights On." He opens his school from 6:00 to 11 p.m. on Fridays during the school year and three nights a week in the summer.

"My babies are taking care care of their younger siblings. Their parents are either working hard and just taking these odd jobs, or the parents are not there at all," Cook said.

The kids use the gym, dance, and are fed warm meals. It's a long way from what West Side was just a few years ago.

"School was fighting every day, getting kicked out," Singleton said.

"People were getting killed," Denny said.

"Cook made a big impact on West Side," Singleton added.

It might seem hard to believe that one person could clean up a school and a whole neighborhood. But in Newark, the proof is in the principal.

"This is selfless work that we do. No one goes into education thinking they are going to get rich," Cook said.

But that doesn't mean he's not satisfied with what he's doing.

"I have a gold medal around my heart from the love that the kids give back to me and just the families in the community are taking it one step further," he said.

CBSN Live How a laundry room changed a N.J. high school... 3h ago 02:54

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
MTV VMA'S coming to Newark

MTV Video Music Awards coming to Prudential Center
Associated Press Published 7:43 p.m. ET April 29, 2019 | Updated 7:45 p.m. ET April 29, 2019
CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
12b93a71-bf54-45a0-a77b-620de46ca800-AP19119773066362.jpg

This Aug. 20, 2018 file photo shows a statue of the MTV Moon Man on the red carpet at the MTV Video Music Awards in New York. The network announced Monday that its annual awards show will take place Aug. 26 at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

NEW YORK — The 2019 MTV Video Music Awards has a new home: New Jersey.

The network announced Monday that its annual awards show will take place Aug. 26 at the Prudential Center in Newark.

The VMAs are typically held in New York, though it has also taken place in Los Angeles, Miami and Las Vegas.

Last year's show took place at New York's Radio City Music Hall.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

prequel film to the Sopranos called "The Many Saints of Newark" had open call audition.

I caught the show a few times, mainly just to see and point out the local spots where they filmed. We moved to Vailsburg section about 15-20 years after the Italians moved out, but I've read a lot about Newark's past. My barber, who went to Shabazz when it was called Southside.said Italian kids used to beat up, jump, chase home the few Black kids when Blacks first moved into their sections of town.Tony Soprano character was a straight up racist Italian guy and at least the show kept it real about that.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ

prequel film to the Sopranos called "The Many Saints of Newark" had open call audition.

I caught the show a few times, mainly just to see and point out the local spots where they filmed. We moved to Vailsburg section about 15-20 years after the Italians moved out, but I've read a lot about Newark's past. My barber, who went to Shabazz when it was called Southside.said Italian kids used to beat up, jump, chase home the few Black kids when Blacks first moved into their sections of town.Tony Soprano character was a straight up racist Italian guy and at least the show kept it real about that.

They're filming over on Brandford pl. They have their props set up already

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Prudential Center has Madison Square Garden under pressure.

In many ways, it's a better venue for these large high profile events than MSG or the Barclay Center.
Word. I mean the Garden is always going to be the garden but Barclays is just too congested. I had recently took my wife and son to the Nets vs Sixers game during the first round of the playoffs. You barely have any arm room up in there.