brehs lets talk cologne game

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Jump Up and Kiss Me Hedonistic by Clive Christian - I did not think I could love a cherry fragrance but I do. This is so good and well rounded. Insanely overpriced however. A 50ml bottle of this is apparently retailing for $580. Decants of 5ml seem to go for around $80. If the right sale came along, say 20% off, that puts 5ml at around $65, which is a lot of money for a decant but I could swing that because I'd use this fragrance for nice occasions. I don't know why on Fragrantica it appears to list TWO different Hedonistic fragrances but the correct one here is the one listed as "2021" even though to my knowledge this came out in 2017.

Who is workshopping some of this? :picard:

Good Lord @ the retail tho smh. You can grab TF Lost Cherry cheaper than that (even though it wasn't my fav cherry fragrance & I'm looking for something else).

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Who is workshopping some of this? :picard:

Good Lord @ the retail tho smh. You can grab TF Lost Cherry cheaper than that (even though it wasn't my fav cherry fragrance & I'm looking for sometbing else).
The prices are ridiculous and I don't know how sustainable it is for these companies to charge this much money.
Fragrance is, by definition, a luxury item. But there have to be limits somewhere.

I liked Hedonistic a lot more than I liked TF Lost Cherry. Do I like it $300 more? No.

Perhaps this is obvious so I apologize, but I'm realizing that the more I experience higher quality fragrances and niche brands, the more unique or specific the scents become.
So that presents a challenge. The more unique and specific a scent is, the less likely it's going to have mass appeal, and to some degree, the less often you're going to wear it. So how much money do you want to invest in something that you won't get a lot of utility out of?

If you have a Toyota Camry, that's a good car. Lasts forever. You can drive that thing anywhere. You don't stand out a lot, but so what?
On the other hand, if you have a Bugatti Veyron, that's insanely expensive but very unique and much higher quality. But how often are you really driving that thing? Is it worth spending 3 million dollars for a car that might see the road 8 times a year? Maybe not. Who knows?

I suppose the middle ground is = decants. Right? That's effectively like renting the Bugatti. You still get the occasional utility out of something special and high end, but you don't bear the giant cost.

That's how my brain is thinking about these expensive fragrances that I have been sampling.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
The prices are ridiculous and I don't know how sustainable it is for these companies to charge this much money.

CC and Boadicea the Victorious and a few others that retail at Neiman's just have a different client base than even expensive as hell Tom Ford.

Like take Armani Prive, I've never seen anybody talk about these.

nm_4491766_100000_m

A few folks are up on some of the YSL's, but most don't mess with this line

c3-Hnqr-Gf-Uuy3g-Fx-Fnpv-Ia1-FAjdy2lt9-Wsfvam9c2k.jpg

Folks just gotta accept that a lot of stuff out there isn't made for you.

Cologne is already a luxury product, not a commodity, but there are always more levels of exclusivity when it comes to these things.

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Folks just gotta accep that a lot of stuff out there isn't made for you.

Cologne is already a luxury product, not a commodity, but there are always more levels of exclusivity when it comes to these things.
100%

I haven't even heard of most of those YSL's. Only Tuxedo gets referenced by influencers.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
@Remote That's a good way of putting it / thinking about it. And shyt, "to take a step further", these days, that Toyota don't look too damn bad. Shyt has push to start just like luxury cars now, rearview and side mirror cameras, with way better mileage/performance & that's just some of the base models lol. So you may not "STAND OUT" stand out, but you stand out in a way where you didn't--grabbin' a Toyota (or a bottle of Curve :laugh: ) back in the day.

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
SOTD - Nio (Xerjoff)

I'm trying to spray this a little bit less and see how I feel about it (2 or 3). If I can just get past the green notes, I find myself liking it more. I think I'm just going to slowly use up this decant and move on though.

I'm considering a decant of Baraonda by Nasomatto. I'm hesitant of any fragrance that features rose...

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I'm considering a decant of Baraonda by Nasomatto. I'm hesitant of any fragrance that features rose...

To my nose, the rose in this isn't very strong. I had to look it up to be sure it even had rose in it...

SOTD - Chanel Egoiste

Old school joint. I'd put my nose on the Platinum version and damn near threw up. I don't agree with metallic notes.

This is not that.

It's a very laid back sweet, cinnamon, with florals.

Officially, also has carnation, rose, mandarin, tobacco, sandalwood, vanilla, leather, amber...and other stuff

But to me, the cinnamon/vanilla really stands out. The florals are also there, but I don't smell them as rose/carnation, but just run of the mill flowers.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To my nose, the rose in this isn't very strong. I had to look it up to be sure it even had rose in it...

SOTD - Chanel Egoiste

Old school joint. I'd put my nose on the Platinum version and damn near threw up. I don't agree with metallic notes.

This is not that.

It's a very laid back sweet, cinnamon, with florals.

Officially, also has carnation, rose, mandarin, tobacco, sandalwood, vanilla, leather, amber...and other stuff

But to me, the cinnamon/vanilla really stands out. The florals are also there, but I don't smell them as rose/carnation, but just run of the mill flowers.
I've seen Chanel Egoiste being recommended so many times and I can't ever bring myself to get a decant of it.
One day I'm gonna have to toss in a 1ml or something just to see.

Wait, is it Egoiste or Platinum Egoiste? I might be confusing which one I see online the most.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I've seen Chanel Egoiste being recommended so many times and I can't ever bring myself to get a decant of it.
One day I'm gonna have to toss in a 1ml or something just to see.

Wait, is it Egoiste or Platinum Egoiste? I might be confusing which one I see online the most.

Egoiste - the regular one

Platinum is the one that all the rappers (including Biggie) mention.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Random, but they were on the JBP (Joe Budden Podcast) tryna A. Guess if da nicca Flip wear or owns cologne at all and then B. Guess what kind he owns after he said he has some. Mfs said Joop & Obsession (no hate) :mjlol:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man listen,

You can't convince me that Joop is pronounced "yope". I'm sorry. That shyt will forever be jewp.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Fragrance is, by definition, a luxury item. But there have to be limits somewhere.

I liked Hedonistic a lot more than I liked TF Lost Cherry. Do I like it $300 more? No.

Perhaps this is obvious so I apologize, but I'm realizing that the more I experience higher quality fragrances and niche brands, the more unique or specific the scents become.
So that presents a challenge. The more unique and specific a scent is, the less likely it's going to have mass appeal, and to some degree, the less often you're going to wear it. So how much money do you want to invest in something that you won't get a lot of utility out of?

If you have a Toyota Camry, that's a good car. Lasts forever. You can drive that thing anywhere. You don't stand out a lot, but so what?
On the other hand, if you have a Bugatti Veyron, that's insanely expensive but very unique and much higher quality. But how often are you really driving that thing? Is it worth spending 3 million dollars for a car that might see the road 8 times a year? Maybe not. Who knows?

I suppose the middle ground is = decants. Right? That's effectively like renting the Bugatti. You still get the occasional utility out of something special and high end, but you don't bear the giant cost.

That's how my brain is thinking about these expensive fragrances that I have been sampling.
Seems like the right approach. I’m focusing on the joints that most people are gonna vibe with. Can’t get mad at the mfer that rocks Eros, gets a ton of complaints and you with your expensive niche fragrance is fishing for attention.