brehs lets talk cologne game

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
BTW, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with popular mainstream stuff.

I've said it before, mainstream things are mainstream because they're good.
I'm just saying that try to be selective with your mainstream purchases early on, and lean towards getting a bunch of decants.

You can get 3 bottles at Ulta or Sephora and drop $250. But you could buy A LOT of decants for $250 and really expose yourself to some quality stuff.

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
I been going through the thread and seeing the knowledge being dropped but I need you brehs to school me on some things.

Application:
Do you take a hot or cold shower to open/close the pores?
Does lotion/Vaseline carry the scent longer?
Do you apply on your clothes as well as your pressure points(neck,wrists,ect)

Recommendations:
What are some good colognes in the $100 and below range that are good but not well known or popular to start with?

Random:
Applying before going to the gym. Is there a science behind that, or just to smell, feel good while working out?
Pores don’t need to be opened to have a scent stick and project.

Heat makes you sweat, right? so now ask which would open your pores…

You can make a task out of it on a free Saturday and create a decent fragrance for under $100 too. Gone grab you some Polo Blue to start 😂

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Labyrinth of Spices (Alghabra) - I'm not sure why I expected this to be darker and heavier but it feels surprisingly bright to me. There's a freshness to it, maybe it's lavender. It's pretty well blended because even though get some tobacco and coffee out of it, the tobacco fades pretty fast off my skin and the coffee is not what you'd smell at like Starbucks or anything. It's kind of offset by the cardamom somehow. It's what the name says. There's a lot going on, but on my skin...I get this aromatic, somewhat powdery feeling. There's an amber quality to it for sure. I don't know that I want a full bottle of this, given that it seems to sell for close to 200 euros. Discounted? Maybe. I have to wear it a few times to see how I feel 5-6 hours later. I will say that I don't think it's a crowd pleaser. I'm wearing this for me, not to attract anyone. And my gut tells me to lean on the side of fewer sprays. Maybe 3 to start and adjust from there.

Eye of Seven Hills (Alghabra) - This a little bit more for the masses. I get this great vanilla and booze. The notes say whiskey. Feels a bit more sweet. I personally don't get any tobacco or oud. If it's in here, it's barely any at all -- at least on my skin. I do get the musk and saffron though. I'm more likely to get a full bottle of this. This is like a great afternoon early night scent for me. I feel like this gives off a fantastic scent trail. If you wanted something a bit stronger on the woody or tobacco side...this isn't the scent for that. But I really enjoy this from first spray.

Edit - okay there is tobacco here but it's not apparent to me in the opening. Definitely get it now after a couple of minutes.
2nd edit - these are both amazing to me and I'm flip flopping now on which one I like more.

God damn

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So I apologize for that shyt show of a comment above. I'm borderline retarded today.

Turns out that if you wait a few minutes....Labyrinth of Spices kinda retains some of that aromatic quality and opens up with more of a sweetness, and Eye of Seven Hills gets a bit darker with the tobacco shining through.

Labyrinth of Spices probably is the more mass appealing scent here if you're patient.
I was just so goddamn excited to comment about them that I didn't wait long enough for the scent to settle in and dry down and change.

So let that be a lesson to you newbies -- first impressions are first impressions. But good perfumery is like a journey.

@WIA20XX sorry for being an idiot.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
IME, this is a typical female perfume routine.

That's why when you can still smell perfume in an empty elevator.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
BTW, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with popular mainstream stuff.

I've said it before, mainstream things are mainstream because they're good.
I'm just saying that try to be selective with your mainstream purchases early on, and lean towards getting a bunch of decants.

You can get 3 bottles at Ulta or Sephora and drop $250. But you could buy A LOT of decants for $250 and really expose yourself to some quality stuff.
I usually buy a decant before I commit to a scent.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
I been going through the thread and seeing the knowledge being dropped but I need you brehs to school me on some things.

Application:
Do you take a hot or cold shower to open/close the pores?
Does lotion/Vaseline carry the scent longer?
Do you apply on your clothes as well as your pressure points(neck,wrists,ect)

Recommendations:
What are some good colognes in the $100 and below range that are good but not well known or popular to start with?

Random:
Applying before going to the gym. Is there a science behind that, or just to smell, feel good while working out?
I shower in warm/hot water (it's terrible for the skin, but that's more comfortable for me).
Immediately after my shower, I moisturize with Aveeno UNSCENTED lotion before I apply my frangrance(s). That usually does the trick to help my frags perform longer.
I tried plain Vaseline on my wrists, chest and neck as a base for my fragrances, but I didn't notice any boost to performance or projection.

SupaVillain

Keep your glory, gold and glitter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
So i finally tried Creed Aventus and Viking Cologne.
I see why nikkas love aventus, the top notes hit hard and the middle and bottom are :wow: easily a goat scent for the fall/winter, shyt maybe all 4.
Viking is ok, reminds me of soap. also a barbershop. it's a good summertime scent. I got Virgin Island Water coming in soon. I got decants of Aventus Cologne, Green Irish Tweed and LV Imagination

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I see why nikkas love aventus, the top notes hit hard and the middle and bottom are :wow: easily a goat scent for the fall/winter, shyt maybe all 4.
Viking is ok, reminds me of soap. also a barbershop. it's a good summertime scent. I got Virgin Island Water coming in soon. I got decants of Aventus Cologne, Green Irish Tweed and LV Imagination
That Imagination is good.
Worth the money for a full bottle? Eh maybe not. But it smells great.

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All these are nice IMO.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
I shower in warm/hot water (it's terrible for the skin, but that's more comfortable for me).
Immediately after my shower, I moisturize with Aveeno UNSCENTED lotion before I apply my frangrance(s). That usually does the trick to help my frags perform longer.
I tried plain Vaseline on my wrists, chest and neck as a base for my fragrances, but I didn't notice any boost to performance or projection.
I forgot to mention that I also use unscented body wash.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics

Aventus was my favorite until I bought a sample of Silver Mountain about a month ago.

Went old school last weekend and got a bottle of Polo Black. This scent still holds up.

Daps

Green Irish tweed is an absolute game changer. I had compliments for days with this.