Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
A shotgun will save your life
6/04/14 | by Jim Grant

Pistol, rifle or shotgun? Some problems can only be solved with double ought buck. (Photo by Jim Grant)

Have you ever been in a gun store and heard a clerk tell a new gun owner that the best home defense gun is a pump-action 12 gauge? Simply rack the action and the noise alone will scare off most intruders. We all know one guy who parrots this advice like he’s “been there” or “seen stuff.”

If you are new to the world of defensive firearms or even if you’ve been around guns all of your life, let me give you a solid piece of advice: that statement is bullshyt and any person who repeats its effectiveness has never personally witnessed it. The only kind of home intruder frightened by sudden loud noises come from the animal kingdom.

For the sake of argument, let’s say that a loud noise deters criminals 50 percent of the time — and I assure you the number is much closer to never. Relying on a one in two success rate of frightening off an attacker is negligent at best. Especially if you’re not prepared to use the shotgun for anything more than ‘making noise’.

The most powerful dissuading aspect of a shotgun isn’t the noise it makes or its reputation, it’s the amount of hot lead it hurls at a target. That said, the scattergun isn’t the one-hit wonder armchair generals and Hollywood make it out to be. Even with an National Firearms Act-regulated 12-inch barrel, a user must aim the shotgun carefully to hit the desired target. The cone of fire is much narrower than most people believe. If shotguns really spread out to the size of a beach ball at 10 feet and launched aggressors across the room, wouldn’t every military on Earth ditch their weapons for these portable howitzers?

Don’t get me wrong, the shotgun is an excellent defensive weapon, but just like pistols and carbines it has its limitations. Most shotguns have limited ammo capacity, tremendous recoil and cumbersome reloading techniques. Yet, the shotgun’s ability to stop fights faster than carbines or pistols has earned it a permanent reputation as the ultimate home defense weapon. I agree that shotguns are tremendously effective, in the appropriate scenario, when wielded by trained hands.

The substantial payload of home-defense double ought buckshot rounds that make it an effective manstopper, also make it difficult to control. While length of pull is important on a home defense carbine, it is crucial on a home defense shotgun. An ill-fitted shotgun coupled with these powerhouse loads will cause the shooter great pain and can lead to bad-habits, such as flinching. Even worse, the anticipation of this recoil and pain makes the weapon less conducive to training. This is essential with a tube-fed shotgun as the reloading procedure is more difficult and very different from almost all centerfire rifles and handguns.

Food for thought: if something is difficult to perform in ideal conditions, it will be impossible to execute under adverse ones. The only way to make something awkward and unfamiliar become second nature, is to train consistently.

Magazine-fed shotguns are easier to reload, but tube-fed ones are more reliable. (Photo by Jim Grant)

Additionally, most people fail to grasp the ease with which an inexperienced shooter can jam a pump-action shotgun, especially when scared half to death. Oftentimes a veteran weapon with thousands of rounds through it makes a better fighting arm than a brand new gun. This ensures that new shooters, who might not break the weapon in properly, can concentrate on becoming proficient rather than getting the weapon to function properly.

Overpenetration with the shotgun ranges from insignificant to frightening. If a shooter chooses a solid zinc slug he can expect his round to stop only once it hits something harder than zinc. Home defenders who choose bird-shot will have little in the realm of overpenetration to worry about, but they will also discover that it is the least effective traditional shotgun round against humans.

Think I’m full of it? dikk Cheney shot 78-year-old Harry Whittington, center mass, at 20 yards with birdshot and the two were having drinks together just a few hours later. If it had been buckshot the man’s injurious would be grievous enough to incapacitate, if not fatally wound him. While I don’t have the statistics in hand, I can safely say that the majority of home invaders aren’t in their seventh decade of life. If your home defense round can’t reliably stop someone demonstrably less combat effective than a 40-year-old man, it’s time to reevaluate your decision.

Slugs are a great choice if you live somewhere remote, though they strip the shotgun of half of its more important features, its close-quarters advantage. With a 1-ounce slug, literally no human on earth can survive a direct hit to a vital organ or crucial bone structure. Again, this penetrating power comes as a price, both economic and ergonomic. Slugs aren’t cheap and they beat the ever-living-shyt out of your shoulder unless you have a perfectly fitted shotgun.

The Mossberg 590A1 is naturally tacticool. (Photo by J.P. Anderson)

The best choice for most people looking for a home defense load is the most expensive: buckshot. Contrary to its name, buckshot is best employed against two-legged opponents, hunters who wish to harvest deer use slugs. What makes buckshot so bad-ass? Imagine being able to pull the the trigger on a 9mm handgun three times as fast as Jerry Miculek, with the same precision. Would you use anything else? No. When you pull the trigger on a shotgun firing double ought buckshot you’re delivering eight .33-caliber pellets instantly. Couple that with a semiautomatic shotgun and you have some truly devastating power at your fingertips.

The shotgun is ideal for the shooter who hates to shoot twice. While no handheld weapon is guaranteed to put down every opponent every time, the shotgun comes very close with proper ammo selection. Compared to handguns and carbines, the shotgun has the lowest initial cost, the best chance of instantly incapacitating an opponent (with proper ammo), but is the most difficult to reload. Keep this in mind when choosing a home defense gun; if there was a single answer to all home defense scenarios wouldn’t every gun-maker being selling the same thing?

Related Articles

Shooting Mild Loads for Practice and Carrying Hot Loads for Defense: Good or bad habit?

Jason Alexander and Ice-T Offer Polar Opposite Opinions on Gun Control (VIDEO)

July 23, 2009

Gun Skills & Safety, Manly Skills, Tactical Skills
The Best Guns for Home Defense
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/07/23/the-best-guns-for-home-defense/

Visual comparison of common handgun cartridges. Left to right:

800px-Comparitive_handgun_rounds1.jpg

1) 3-inch 12 ga magnum shotgun shell 2) AA battery (for size comparison) 3) .454 Casull 4) .45 Winchester Magnum 5) .44 Remington Magnum 6) .357 Magnum 7) .38 Special 8) .45 ACP 9) .38 Super 10) 9 mm Luger 11) .32 ACP 12) .22 LR

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
Nice!!!

Which guns do you recommend I try at the gun range this weekend?

Try 1. revolver, 2. striker fired (Glock, Springfield, or PPQ), 3. hammer fired (Sig Sauer, Beretta or Heckler&Koch),4. compact (Kahr or XDS).

The debate will go on till the end of time, 9mm vs. 40 S&W vs. 45 ACP.

Try out mostly 9mm, try the 40 S&W to see how a bigger gun feels.

If its not a shotgun or 44 magnum that would stop a bear in its tracks, you are going to need multiple shots at center mass. I don't have loyalty to any of the 3 calibers, a 9mm JHP will get it done.

Tilesp4p

All Star
Daps
On me I carry a compact revolver with 357 mag rds. I made that decision awhile ago in keeping with the fact I won't ever be in a shoot out where I'm gonna need to change out clip after clip while exchanging fire. Consider a gun with stopping power and putting big holes in a nikka if needs be. Also consider alot of store owners have revolvers because in the case they getting robbed they have access to a gun you just point and pull the trigger. Good luck and choose wisely
This....revolvers are the way to go for concealed carry.
Have some rep breh

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
On me I carry a compact revolver with 357 mag rds. I made that decision awhile ago in keeping with the fact I won't ever be in a shoot out where I'm gonna need to change out clip after clip while exchanging fire. Consider a gun with stopping power and putting big holes in a nikka if needs be. Also consider alot of store owners have revolvers because in the case they getting robbed they have access to a gun you just point and pull the trigger. Good luck and choose wisely

It will suck if you have 2 or 3 attackers.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Just saying, there's not really an advantage of .40 over 9mm anymore, with modern ammunition. I would go for the 9mm because of the higher magazine capacity as well as cheaper ammunition.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
Lol true. But you ever heard a 357 mag much less see the damage it causes ? Most attackers not sticking around to continue attacking unless they zombies.

I can't knock 5 shots, because I don't conceal carry. And I agree, you not going to find yourself in a shootout often. If you do end up in a gun fight with 2 or 3 well armed dudes, ducking for cover is your best bet while letting off some rounds. Reloading is plan B.

But at the same time, if you got 2 or 3 dudes coming for you, 5 shots is all you got. That's 1.5 bullets for each person.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
got a .40sw springfield xd

2 safeties, no plaxicco for me

:blessed:

Nameischosen

Banned
Daps
i wish ny gun laws werent so tough. ya have me jealous with all the gun purchasing talk.
I had to refactor my question cuz that shyt sounded crazy. But real talk, I wish most apartments allowed firearms. Most rental/lease agreements don't allow any type of firearms. Not even a damm shotgun. But if you live outside of NYC there is more love if you own your house and don't live in a apartment.

Last edited:

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
My cousin used to have me hold his hustlin' money to put up for him and he'd give me his .45 just in case nikkaz started comin to the crib on some jack boy shyt. I would pose in the mirror with that shyt and be like "yeah nikkaz, come over here fukkin around, ima put these hot ones in you. I GOT THE THUMPER!!!":banderas: