Breaking Bad Season 5 Official Thread

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
I don't mean to be hyperbolic but IMO this show has the best cinematography in TV history, and rivals most movies.

m94cK.gif

Fred.

This is pretty ridiculous to me breh. Season 1 was mad low budget looking & season 2 wasn't much better. They made the jump in season 3, must have gotten an influx in the budget. But still nah.

Mad Men, Game of Thrones, & Boardwalk Empire are on another level with the cinematography. Them shyts are breathtakingly beautiful.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This is pretty ridiculous to me breh. Season 1 was mad low budget looking & season 2 wasn't much better. They made the jump in season 3, must have gotten an influx in the budget. But still nah.

Mad Men, Game of Thrones, & Boardwalk Empire are on another level with the cinematography. Them shyts are breathtakingly beautiful.

You're getting budget mixed up with cinematography. Spending a bunch of money isn't cinematography. There is nothing particularly special about the cinematography of any of the shows you named. Especially "Madmen", which is extremely vanilla.

Blocking, framing, lighting, camera placement, aspect and ratio, etc. this show shyts on the 3 you named. Easily, since season 2 when Michael Slovis joined. I'll give you season 1, but that's it.

Fred.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
You're getting budget mixed up with cinematography. Spending a bunch of money isn't cinematography. There is nothing particularly special about the cinematography of any of the shows you named. Especially "Madmen", which is extremely vanilla.

Blocking, framing, lighting, camera placement, aspect and ratio, etc. this show shyts on the 3 you named. Easily, since season 2 when Michael Slovis joined. I'll give you season 1, but that's it.

Fred.

Alot of shows spend alot of money and are not visually impressive. The shows I named are far more visually impressive than BB. BB isn't bad, but nothing special. BB has had alot of cheesy looking scenes through season 3. I've never seen that with the 3 shows I named.

TdashDUB

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Austin
Alot of shows spend alot of money and are not visually impressive. The shows I named are far more visually impressive than BB. BB isn't bad, but nothing special. BB has had alot of cheesy looking scenes through season 3. I've never seen that with the 3 shows I named.

You're speaking from the sense that Avatar was visually impressive.

He means from a technical aspect. BB uses many different impressive techniques, maneuvers, blocking, everything else Hex mentioned.

I have my own production company and deal with this stuff all of the time, so I'm noticing TONS of different amazing shots that range from different methods to even homage shots for classic films, directors or cinematographers. The detail that is put into the moving picture itself grows as thick as the details the writers layer in.

Those shows you mentioned may visually be more stimulating, but BB does it in a more artistic sense

TdashDUB

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Austin
just a rough example

episode-2-walt.jpg

The director of photographer (DP) chose to get a tight tilt shot "through the table" where as someone else would have more than likely had a straight, wide shot of Walt looking at the Ricin.

Had nothing to do with budget, effects or anything of that nature. Just small details that add up. Especially for people like me who can't help but find little details, pointless or otherwise

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
ayooo wtf can we expect in the next 8 episodes and how many of the predictions cats made about season 5 came true so far?

I don't feel like waiting another damn year, I want some educated guesses at this very moment

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
You're speaking from the sense that Avatar was visually impressive.

He means from a technical aspect. BB uses many different impressive techniques, maneuvers, blocking, everything else Hex mentioned.

I have my own production company and deal with this stuff all of the time, so I'm noticing TONS of different amazing shots that range from different methods to even homage shots for classic films, directors or cinematographers. The detail that is put into the moving picture itself grows as thick as the details the writers layer in.

Those shows you mentioned may visually be more stimulating, but BB does it in a more artistic sense

OK, So none of the shows I named have unique shots like that, especially Boardwalk Empire, on top of being consistently visually more impressive? I'm not even arguing that BB isn't great in that sense, I'm just saying it's not the best ever in the history of television. Especially in early seasons when the show looked cheap & cheesy at times.

YBE

Banned
Daps
WSTvu.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

shyt, I read that right in Walt's voice too :wow:

They forgot another connection. Two random hitmen targeting Hank doesn't look good either :mjpls: Especially when those two random hitmen just happened to be related to a dude your brother in law killed a month prior :mjpls:

Daps
Reppin
Charlotte, North Carolina
THE NATURE BOY'S MIND IS BLOWN

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

155630_o.gif

After Sunday's mid-season finally, I went to read a few reactions online. Some glaring connections I found significant weren't mentioned anywhere that I saw. So, I figured I'd bring them to everyone's attention. Or at least the teensy, tiny audience I have that is also all read up on Breaking Bad.

I am an obsessive fact checker and tend to get bogged down by the tiniest details. I also relish symbolism and make note of tiny observations on the off chance they'll be important. A lot of times they aren't, but sometimes they are. So bear with me.

Here goes.

Let's remember where this season started.

In the first 90 seconds of the first episode of season 5, Walt is at Denny's. He's sporting a full head of hair and new, black-framed glasses. He's handed his breakfast plate and proceeds to spell out "52" with his bacon -- it's his birthday.

His waitress tells him he can get free food if he shows his I.D. He declines, but she persists.

Free is good, she tells him. Even if she were rich, "free is always good."

He says OK and hands her his I.D.

New Hampshire.

He goes to the bathroom to meet with the mystery man who gives him keys. We see Walt's all-too-familiar cough and he pops a pill (remember, he was getting an MRI in this final episode).

As he leaves the restaraunt, the waitress says, "Happy birthday, Mr. Lambert."

Lambert is Skyler's maiden name.

When he gets outside he goes to an old Volvo with New Hampshire plates.

The plates say, "Live Free or Die."

Obvious connection between waitresses comments about free being "always good."

Then, there is the license plate number (327 2153).

This number had to mean something. With all that attention to detail, why would they not purposefully pick those numbers -- even if it had a meaning that would be lost on most?

I immediately thought the number had some sort of connection to science, so I started googling.

Nothing.

Then I considered maybe the numbers as a whole isn't the answer, so I started separating them. After a few different attempts at grouping, I found something.

The first five numbers are: 32721.

For those, I found this:
Cytokeratin 5 Antibody (RCK103): sc-32721.

Interesting, I thought. That's definitely science right there.
So I searched for "Cytokeratin 5 Antobody" on scholarly journals and found this.

"Value of the Mesothelium-Associated Antibodies Thrombomodulin, Cytokeratin 5/6, Calretinin, and CD44H in Distinguishing Epithelioid Pleural Mesothelioma from Adenocarcinoma Metastatic to the Pleura."

Adencarcinoma. What's that?

It's cancer. And it happens to be the most common form of...lung cancer.
And remember those last two numbers on the plate?

The age Walter White will be on his next birthday.

If he gets there.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I don't know how deep your knowledge of TV goes, but if you wanted to argue "Breaking Bad" doesn't have the GOAT cinematography, there is a few shows you could've mentioned. "Twin Peaks" for example....or "X-Files", or hell, even "Lost".

The 3 shows you named have big budgets and incredibly plain cinematography. I've seen all 3, and I feel like this is the Twilight Zone (which also has better cinematography than the shows you named) because "BB" has consistently received praise for it's cinematography....nonstop, more or less since day 1, from indie directors like Rian Johnson, up to genre legends like Guillermo del Toro.

Meanwhile, the 3 shows you named are nothing special. Post some shots that you think is good cinematography, because I'm honestly :wtf:. The "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage alone has more technically impressive shots in 4 minutes than entire seasons of the shows you named.

Fred.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
I don't know how deep your knowledge of TV goes, but if you wanted to argue "Breaking Bad" doesn't have the GOAT cinematography, there is a few shows you could've mentioned. "Twin Peaks" for example....or "X-Files", or hell, even "Lost".

The 3 shows you named have big budgets and incredibly plain cinematography. I've seen all 3, and I feel like this is the Twilight Zone (which also has better cinematography than the shows you named) because "BB" has consistently received praise for it's cinematography....nonstop, more or less since day 1, from indie directors like Rian Johnson, up to genre legends like Guillermo del Toro.

Meanwhile, the 3 shows you named are nothing special. Post some shots that you think is good cinematography, because I'm honestly :wtf:. The "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage alone has more technically impressive shots in 4 minutes than entire seasons of the shows you named.

Fred.

:leostare: I didn't realize this show was head & shoulders above the pack like that in this category. They must be beasting the Cinematography awards after 4 seasons worth of nominations.

I know BE has been nominated for Emmy's in both seasons and won once. I think they even had 3 nonminations in the same catagory for one of the seasons.

I know MM probably gets nonminated for an Emmy every year in the category and has probably won for Cinematography at least once. How many BB got by comparison, I'm curious?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:leostare: I didn't realize this show was head & shoulders above the pack like that in this category. They must be beasting the Cinematography awards after 4 seasons worth of nominations.

I know BE has been nominated for Emmy's in both seasons and won once. I think they even had 3 nonminations in the same catagory for one of the seasons.

I know MM probably gets nonminated for an Emmy every year in the category and has probably won for Cinematography at least once. How many BB got by comparison, I'm curious?

Awards? Seriously? :aicmon:

By that logic "The Wire" is a terrible show. It didn't win any awards after all.

I'm not asking for the Emmy's opinion. I'm asking for your opinion. You made the statement, so post up some pics of this amazing cinematography.

Fred.