Daps
Reppin
NYC
Let's revisit a classic scene:

Breaking-Bad-ray-3__120812180155.jpg

:whoo:

Fred.

top 5 scene

what i never could get, was Gus supposed to be portrayed as a villain in this show, or a good guy?

If the show was through Gus's point of view
would he have took action against his drug dealers in season 3 that killed that kid?

How will Walt take action after he visibly seen a child get murdered?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
top 5 scene

what i never could get, was Gus supposed to be portrayed as a villain in this show, or a good guy?

If the show was through Gus's point of view
would he have took action against his drug dealers in season 3 that killed that kid?

How will Walt take action after he visibly seen a child get murdered?

Well, "Breaking Bad" is unique in that a character's moral alignment isn't necessarily reflective of whether or not they're the protagonist or antagonist.

Last season Gus was the antagonist despite being a fan favorite....this year Walt is the protagonist despite the fact that fans are becoming increasingly leery of his actions.

Whether or not Gus ordered them to kill Tomas, he'd rationalize it was a necessary evil. Likewise, so will Walt. That's what made Gus vs Walt so interesting, they're similar in a lot of ways....too similar to ever co-exist peacefully.

Fred.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, "Breaking Bad" is unique in that a character's moral alignment isn't necessarily reflective of whether or not they're the protagonist or antagonist.

Last season Gus was the antagonist despite being a fan favorite....this year Walt is the protagonist despite the fact that fans are becoming increasingly leery of his actions.

Whether or not Gus ordered them to kill Tomas, he'd rationalize it was a necessary evil. Likewise, so will Walt. That's what made Gus vs Walt so interesting, they're similar in a lot of ways....too similar to ever co-exist peacefully.

Fred.
I actually thought the show portrayed Gus in a more sympathetic light than Walt. It showed us what gave Gus his nudge toward viciousness (getting his buddy's brains splattered all over him). No such moment for Walt. It's also hard to think of Walt exacting vengeance however many years later for a friend. There was something more human about Gus' villainy. Walt's just an ego on fire.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I actually thought the show portrayed Gus in a more sympathetic light than Walt. It showed us what gave Gus his nudge toward viciousness (getting his buddy's brains splattered all over him). No such moment for Walt. It's also hard to think of Walt exacting vengeance however many years later for a friend. There was something more human about Gus' villainy. Walt's just an ego on fire.

It did until he said he'd kill Walt's infant daughter. After that he had to go.

Fred.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Fred.

I think Gus said that out of anger and frustration, after Walt seemingly disrespects him in front of his face, and his goons when he was tied down at the desert

Walt: ...or else you'll do what? :usure:

Gus: :what: what did you say?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Fred.

He had to go even before that...

Gus never really wanted or trusted Walt. The plan was always for Gale to learn Walt's technique and replace him. Remember Gus had already agreed to hand Walt over to the cartel before Walt started fukking up. Now it can be argued that Gus might not have done that given their history but if Gus had his own cook with Walt's formula it's not hard to image.