Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

qwasi

Rhinestone Cowboy
Daps
A 2018 goal of mine is 3-books/month. Ordered Robert Greene's Mastery and The Concise 48 Laws of Power (Jan) & downloaded George Orwell's 1984. Will appreciate any recommendations for beginner philosophy books & good fictional sci-fi, supernatural verses.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
A 2018 goal of mine is 3-books/month. Ordered Robert Greene's Mastery and The Concise 48 Laws of Power (Jan) & downloaded George Orwell's 1984. Will appreciate any recommendations for beginner philosophy books & good fictional sci-fi, supernatural verses.
Check out The Martian and Artemis by Andy Weir. Also The Expanse by the James S.A. Corey duo. That's some of my favorite sci-fi at the moment. Also Ready Player One. I think that's in the realm of sci-fi. There is a lot of hype surrounding the movie which I have a gut feeling won't be all that good. But I thought the book was excellent.

Ezra

Daps
Check out The Martian and Artemis by Andy Weir. Also The Expanse by the James S.A. Corey duo. That's some of my favorite sci-fi at the moment. Also Ready Player One. I think that's in the realm of sci-fi. There is a lot of hype surrounding the movie which I have a gut feeling won't be all that good. But I thought the book was excellent.
Ready Player One is light Sci -fi but more of a nostalgia bomb for children of the 80s/early 90s

You read Persepolis yet? It was oustanding

Other Sci-fi

Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown
Brilliance Trilogy by Marcus Sakey
Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer
The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi

Sci w a more supernatural tilt
The Passage Trilogy by Justin Cronin
Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

Stand alone novels
Saturn Run by John Sandford
The Fourth Monkey by JD Barker
Afterlife by Marcus Sakey

These are some of my favorites of the past couple years.

Ezra

Daps
This has more books. I plan on starting Red Rising after I'm done with Oathbringer.
The 3rd book in the trilogy was published a 2 years ago, I think. Iron Gold, which is the first book in a new trilogy comes out next week. It's set in the same universe. Takes place after the first trilogy. IM not really sure what it's about or how close it's connected because Ive avoided all that info as much as possible.

I cant rec the Red Rising Trilogy enough. It's crazy and a face paced.

86\*/98

Chef Will Equilibrar Òkùnkùn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sparking blunts in the shade.
Read Flowers for Algernon, if you haven't already. It's not Dune-esque, but it's a relatively quick sci-fi with intelligence. Almost anything by Philip K. dikk, too. I'm a massive fan, so I supposed I'm biased towards him, but I've enjoyed even his "weak" stuff. He gets the brain working. I'll say Neil Gaiman's American Gods, too. That's more fantasy, though.

I just got done with Flowers For Algernon.:to:

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Need some suggestions on "Superhero" novels but not like DC/Marvel. Like a realistic story where the protagonist develops Super Strength and has to figure out how to use it.

Ex. Worm, which is long af

Worm by Wildbow

vanza

Rookie
Daps
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. If I could stop playing on my phone. :martin:
yeah me too with watching youtube videos, I cant focus on reading an entire book, havent in years, only my tarot card reading book that I had bought. same with some movies..

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Need some suggestions on "Superhero" novels but not like DC/Marvel. Like a realistic story where the protagonist develops Super Strength and has to figure out how to use it.

Ex. Worm, which is long af

Worm by Wildbow
Try the Brilliance Saga by Marcus Sakey. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, a few times. It was pretty good

bigrice25

DUUUVAAAAAALL!!!
Daps
Reppin
DUUUVAAAAAAAAAL
Brehs.... My wife works at the Library. She's doing the black history month display this year (she seems to always do it). She's looking to change it up a little this year. What recent books, manga, ect. by black authors are popular and good? Recent meaning within the last 5 years. She just needs some suggestions...

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Brehs.... My wife works at the Library. She's doing the black history month display this year (she seems to always do it). She's looking to change it up a little this year. What recent books, manga, ect. by black authors are popular and good? Recent meaning within the last 5 years. She just needs some suggestions...
Akata Witch and Akata Warrior

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
514KmtX%2BMGL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

About half-way thru this one. A sci-fi novel about a refugee couple trying to escape a civil war. Pretty dope.

Question for the Amazon Prime subscribers: have any of you tried one of the Kindle First books that Amazon offer for free every month? I've read a half dozen or more of them but I'd probably only recommend one or two?