Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The book's revered by a lot of people for reasons I can understand but won't deny, mate, but it ain't for the faint of heart, man and you know this. :ufdup:

You're going to have to explain this sentence, I've no idea what you are on about.

Personally I found it to be one of the most hilarious books ever written, but if you don't have a similar sense of humour... :yeshrug:

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Yeah breh, because I really want this dude to actually kill himself. :comeon:
why say it? i just hate this type of ppl. if i like something, everybody has to like it...; and yea catch 22 is pretty overrated. Same with infinite jest and gravity's rainbow. Most over rated books i ever read imo.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
You're going to have to explain this sentence, I've no idea what you are on about.

Personally I found it to be one of the most hilarious books ever written, but if you don't have a similar sense of humour... :yeshrug:

I meant to type can't instead of can. That might clear the confusion up a bit, but even so, I'll go on.

To me the entire thing reads like a bad Monthy Python sketch. Everyone's tottering off of their own self serving Neurosis while trapped in a depressing situation they can't get out of Via the Catch 22 rule. (The Catch 22 rule is hilarious and THAT deserves it's place in today's list of funny catch phrases)
Personally I'm finding it more tedious than funny which confuses a few people who know how much I love older British comedies like BlackAdder, Fawlty Towers and Are you being served?

I'll just go with what you said; this ain't tailored to my sense of humor and just schlock on with it until I reach the end. However, if you don't mind, would you list a few things you liked about the book? And did you try and read the second one?

FrostBite

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't let me put you off it, mate. :whoa: I remember when my brother bought The Shadow of the Torturer from the Book of the New Sun series because he read the premise and saw it on a few top ten lists of Best Sci fi works and I read it before him and gave my opinion on it. Despite not liking it I HAD to finish it (Mild OCD) and the other three books in the series despite it's largely vague descriptions, odd scene transitions and Author created terminology (Dune had that shyt, and I understood damn near everything from the Sandworms, To the Navigator's Guild :youngsabo:).

Like you I've many books on my list to read and despite hearing less than favorable reviews for any of 'em, I'd still have to atleast try and read it so I can see why people disliked it in the first place based off of my own experience. I'll tell you this much, the dialogue is pretty annoying in my opinion. It's worse than the old timey English you'd see in Classic novels like Moby dikk where damn never everybody read the dictionary and blathered on end for the simplest of exchanges. Heck, you might like it or at the very least, hate it to a lesser degree than I do currently.

Thanks for the input. I'm not a huge fan of books with that type of dialogue either. I'll probably still get around to reading it at some point.

Address_Unknown

Daps
Thanks for the input. I'm not a huge fan of books with that type of dialogue either. I'll probably still get around to reading it at some point.

Honestly wish I could mail you my copy. The minute I'm finished with it, I'm going to wrap it up with a note and leave it in an Airport or Coffee shop somewhere since I will not be revisiting this shyt with my other classics.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I like this thread. :obama:

This might be a weird question, but how do you guys have time to read? Do you read while commuting, before going to sleep? etc.

FrostBite

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This might be a weird question, but how do you guys have time to read? Do you read while commuting, before going to sleep? etc.

Depends I guess. Just whenever I can find time throughout the day. During a break at work, before I go to sleep. I go through phases where I'll read a lot and then I won't read for a while.

I listen to audiobooks from time to time. That way I can "read" when I normally wouldn't be able to...while driving, running, etc. However I prefer to actually read. Audiobooks kinda feel like cheating.

Address_Unknown

Daps

I used to read a lot during the day during the lull between customers at my job when I wasn't chilling with my Co-workers or drinking but since I got moved inside next to a computer, I left all my reading for when I'm home. I save damn near all my reading for bedtime since I like to drink and read with no repercussions or responsibilities, plus I keep late hours. It's not uncommon for me to turn in to bed around 3am after reading from like midnight.