Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I finished this:
PushkiinCaptain'sDaughter19571stPaper.big.jpg

I'll write a short review for the sake of writing and for sake of those interested in Russian literature:
So Alexander Pushkin, the first professional poet in Russian history. His great grandfather was the godson of Czar Peter (Peter The Great), he was also from Africa. I don't want to feed too much into the fact that one of the most important writers in Russian history was black.

To find out more about his great grandfather, Pushkin wrote a story about him and it's in that book.

Anyway, the stories in the book are good. They're written with feeling that you'd imagine Russia would give you. The greatest intentions, by one with a huge heart, can sometimes be turned around and be used for their downfall. Of course there are stories that deal with romance, but it's in a way that makes you desire the romantic situations that are described in the stories.

One of the difficult things about the book, following up with names being conjugated due to circumstances of the everyday Russian. Not to mention the large amount Russian history that I have no idea about. The first and main story "The Captains Daughter" is in fact a fictional encounter of a historic Russian situation.

The thing that I enjoy about Pushkins writing is that in most cases the main character will have an adviser. Someone to encourage the innocent girl to take that chance for love, someone to warn the boy about pride and stubbornness. In a sense, these advisors deal with the senses of the human. We're curious, we like to take risks, etc.

I think that's all I'll tell about the book, I want to review one of the stories but I figure a review of his writing style is more beneficial.

Deadpool1986

Cook with a Mouth
Daps
Reppin
#midnightboyz/ #Neggas-Black & White/ #TNT
41uf4%2BYrntL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

From Publishers Weekly
Known for cop thrillers, J.A. Konrath (Fuzzy Navel) debuts his Jack Kilborn pseudonym and reveals some serious horror chops in this carnival of carnage. Five government-sponsored Red-ops fighters, psychotic torturers with modified brains and extensive training in killing anyone in their way, have been accidentally assigned to a mission in small, sleepy Safe Haven, Wis. Gen. Alton Tope sends in a dozen Green Berets, two other Special Forces teams, navy SEALs and some marines, all of whom may be just about enough to stop the killers. The townies also band together to save their little rural paradise, though several get trampled into red goo along the way. Any attempt to make a point about U.S. support of international terrorism gets a bit lost in the gore fest, but fans of gross-out horror will love it. (Apr.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
i need some new philosophical science-fiction piff on the level of Dune :sadcam:

even a dope fantasy/wizard style book would be nice right now :sadbron:

Rothfuss better hurry his ass up with that 3rd KingKiller chronicle :to:

Cheeky

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Calgary
@Cheeky give me somethin, i literally got nothin to read now :sadcam:

Hmm. I'm not reading anything myself right now. How do you feel about urban contemporary fantasy? :patrice: I loooooove Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series (werewolves). I read every book within a day or two.

moon-called-patricia-briggs-hardcover-cover-art1.jpg
Blood+Bound.jpg
14121381.jpg

http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/

Karen Chance (vampires, witches & warlocks)

cover.png

(book one)
http://www.karenchance.com/books.html
My brother read those as well and liked them so... let me know if they're too "girly". :lupe:

I'll come back when I think of something else.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Adrian Burgos Jr.'s Playing America's Game: Baseball, Latinos, and the Color Line

Ida B. Wells' Southern Horrors and other Writings: The Anti-Lynching Campaign of Ida B. Wells

Always got the GOAT book, Du Bois' Black Reconstruction in America at my side too

Daps
18114057.jpg

Almost at the end. I guess they're trying to make this into a movie in 2015. shyt is going to be expensive as fukk. I reccomend it though for those that enjoy Sci-Fi thrillers.