Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Started a YA series Legendborn it kinda feels like The Mortal Instruments minus all the fukkery and based on knights of the round table legend instead of angels. The lead character is black and there are a few black female characters but other than the lead's father there don't seem to be any black men in this. Both her love interests are white. It does tackle racial issues head on but the fact that the author doesn't have any black male characters kinda bothers me.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Started a YA series Legendborn it kinda feels like The Mortal Instruments minus all the fukkery and based on knights of the round table legend instead of angels. The lead character is black and there are a few black female characters but other than the lead's father there don't seem to be any black men in this. Both her love interests are white. It does tackle racial issues head on but the fact that the author doesn't have any black male characters kinda bothers me.
Saw that they are going to adapt it. Judging by the fan art I expect a TLR thread when it does come out

Blackgate

💩🔛🤡🤡🤡
Daps
finished reading drylongso a self portrait of black america yesterday. one of the best books i ever read. i read it on internet archive/open library and im still going to buy the book. this will be a book i carry around with me.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
finished reading drylongso a self portrait of black america yesterday. one of the best books i ever read. i read it on internet archive/open library and im still going to buy the book. this will be a book i carry around with me.
In writing his Self-Portrait of Black America, anthropologist, folklorist, and humanist John Gwaltney went in search of “Core Black People”—the ordinary men and women who make up black America—and asked them to define their culture. Their responses, recorded in Drylongso, are to American oral history what blues and jazz are to American music. If the people in William H. Johnson's and Jacob Lawrence's paintings could talk, this is what they would say
:ohhh:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can't believe I went my whole life without reading A Wizard of Earthsea :snoop:

Le Guin's writing was 🤌🏾 with how she was able express so much without overly flowery language and keeping it concise. It's YA done right

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was able to get through 7 books in August. Don't think I reach that for September since I have some big books that I want to get through next.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If I'm Being Honest

This is a YA book about a senior in high school chick that's a queen bee bytch. She cuts down this geek girl in front of her crush and he calls her out on it. In one of her classes they're reading the taming of the shrew and it inspires her to go around and fix things with all the people she abused to show him she's not so bad. One of those was a boy that had an undiagnosed at the time (6th grade) gluten allergy that caused him to vomit. She gave him a nick name that stuck with him. One of the other people is his sister (the girl she cut down).

I like the book. The FMC starts hanging out with the nerds and all that to rehab herself and she starts seeing them as actual people. It gets to the point she hangs with them more than her original stuck up friend group which suggest where the books conflict goes.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Got the Audiobook of Better Than The Movies and didn’t like it. It’s a well written book but I didn’t like the main character. These romcoms with crappy leads suck. Especially how when in typical romcom fashion everything comes crashing down and the a dozen pages later they get everything back they don’t deserve. Liz is such a bad person. She deserves none of it.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished The Farthest Shore several hours ago. The Earthsea trilogy isn't spoken about enough in the Fantasy circles definitely since it's just as influential as The Lord of the Rings with the fantasy genre

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished The Silmarillion a couple of days ago.
The Beren & Luthien chapter was :wow: also the Numenor and Turin chapters were good too

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Working my way through Lord of the Rings and I just finished Two Towers.
That whole Sam & Frodo section was :banderas:. Fit well with this month's horror theme