Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
81XpnZj3P+L._SL1500_.jpg

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Finished a couple books lately. First was "If We Were Villains" by M.L. Rio. It started off pretty good but devolved into trash about halfway through and the ending is stupid. Would not recommend.

411eJEeZdOL.jpg

"Hail Mary" by Andy Weir was terrific. He's the guy who wrote "The Martian," which was also great. Another sci-fi space story that's being made into a movie with Ryan Gosling as the main character.

71S+zKJpVvS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished a couple books lately. First was "If We Were Villains" by M.L. Rio. It started off pretty good but devolved into trash about halfway through and the ending is stupid. Would not recommend.

411eJEeZdOL.jpg

"Hail Mary" by Andy Weir was terrific. He's the guy who wrote "The Martian," which was also great. Another sci-fi space story that's being made into a movie with Ryan Gosling as the main character.

71S+zKJpVvS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
I have been sitting in The Martian for a while now. Might hop on it this week

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
They finally put together the whole “Poppy Wars” series, and I just started it. I’m excited about it, because I have heard good things, for a long time. I was just doing a Malazan reread, and took a break. Waiting for the next Red Rising book, next month.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
51T23d7ltIL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The sixth title in The Horus Heresy: Primarchs series, focusing on Fulgrim, primarch of the Emperor's Children Legion.

Lord of Chemos and bearer of the Palatine Aquila, Fulgrim, primarch of the Emperor’s Children, is determined to take his rightful place in the Great Crusade, whatever the cost. A swordsman without equal, the Phoenician has long studied the art of war and grows impatient to put his skills, and those of his loyal followers, to a true test. Now, accompanied by only seven of his finest warriors, he seeks to bring a rebellious world into compliance, by any means necessary. But Fulgrim soon learns that no victory come without cost, and the greater the triumph, the greater the price one must pay...
How strongly do you recommend this series?

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Just finished Piranesi

9781635577808.0.jpg

Started and finished in one night.

It's really popular, but I found it super disturbing from the start.
And as the reveals started, it only got worse.

It's a dude living in a House with lots and lots and lots of statues. Roof is caved in, basement/lower areas are flooded, but tons and tons of middle layer that's full of stuff.
Starts out with him cataloguing what's in the House, along with his daily chores.

There's only one other person, "Other".

The part that was the gut punch for me...
Turns out breh is Half UK and Half Ghanaian. It was already messed up, but add that layer to it, and I was not feeling it. I'm not surprised that White people weren't really harping on that aspect of it, except for a few SJW's - but
man..

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really? What don’t you like about it, I mean at first I thought it was a little YA, but I genuinely think now that PB is an excellent writer.
You just about nailed it with the bolded. Going in I thought it was adult fiction but it's a YA book in disguise and I HATE YA writing :scust:YA writing tends to be very self centered and pretentious and that shyt bleeds all throughout Red Rising

Also the story is told completely in first person. I'm not necessarily against first person stories but for a story that's supposed to be epic I think first person is an awful format. Epics are best told from multiple perspectives imo

The main character is not interesting. He's also a Mary Sue that hardly had any real challenges. Thats a large part of what made the book so boring

I hated the world building. I know this series is popular so I guess people like it but the colored houses shyt was corny to me. It's like some shyt a 7th grader comes up with while bored in his English class. And I get that people love factions and teams in fiction but I need a little more than "The Reds are the bottom of society, the miners; The Gold's are the elites etc":russell:

I get through books in about 1-3 days. Red Rising took me 3 weeks to finish:stopitslime: it felt like I was reading everything that's ever been described to me about The Hunger Games that ensured that I would never read it

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
The_Nickel_Boys_%28Colson_Whitehead%29.png

Finally read The Nickel Boys. Hard read due to the subject matter but written well enough to make up for it. The 'twist' was also well executed and doesn't feel like it was done to just fool the reader.

The_Silent_Patient_early_2019_UK_edition.png

Thriller/mystery about a woman who's convicted of murdering her husband, becomes mute and ends up in a mental institution. Main character, psychotherapist, tries to get her to speak and find out what actually happened. Very entertaining and a fast read. The twist in this one is not as tastefully done as in the Nickel Boys but I still didn't mind it.

The_Glass_Hotel_%28Emily_St._John_Mandel%29.png

From the author of Station Eleven and has a couple of references to it, but it's completely different and a better book. I'm planning to read her latest novel, Sea of Tranquility, next.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Had a few credits on audible so I used it to check out the Discworld series starting with the first book, The Colour of Magic. Before I even finished it I ordered ended up ordering three books (had to order from the UK because I prefer the OG cover art over ugly ass covers we got in the States).