Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
That one is a quick read, but she does psychological horror types.

Black Water Tales: The Secret Keepers
Black Water Tales: To the Moon and Back - this one is my favorite.
Black Water Tales: The Unwanted

I'll definitely check out those..

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
Really? What don’t you like about it, I mean at first I thought it was a little YA, but I genuinely think now that PB is an excellent writer.

Just finished the 6th book and while he is an excellent writer, man this shyt feel like Walking Dead when characters keep trusting the wrong people and keep making bad decisions to advance the plot.

Like he don’t know if he want Darrow to be a cold killer where the ends justify the means or a dude who believes in the goodness of humanity.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Just finished the 6th book and while he is an excellent writer, man this shyt feel like Walking Dead when characters keep trusting the wrong people and keep making bad decisions to advance the plot.

Like he don’t know if he want Darrow to be a cold killer where the ends justify the means or a dude who believes in the goodness of humanity.
Just finished LB, and it was fukking great. I know that he definitely relies on pretty standard tropes, but he is good at making you feel shyt. I understand what you are saying, but I can’t imagine how hard it is nowadays to write some new twists and turns, considering that almost everything has been done, and the death, at this point. I will say though, I just finished a new book a couple weeks back, it’s called “The will of the many”, it’s by the same author that wrote the Licanius Trilogy (great depth, but the time travel shyt was a little confusing), James Islington, and this shyt was like a mix between Darrow in the institute, and the glass immortals series, which is another series that I love. Highly recommend!

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
Had a few credits on audible so I used it to check out the Discworld series starting with the first book, The Colour of Magic. Before I even finished it I ordered ended up ordering three books (had to order from the UK because I prefer the OG cover art over ugly ass covers we got in the States).
Man, I have heard good things, but aren’t there like 50+ books? I can’t afford to start liking a series that long, I’d go broke!

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
They finally put together the whole “Poppy Wars” series, and I just started it. I’m excited about it, because I have heard good things, for a long time. I was just doing a Malazan reread, and took a break. Waiting for the next Red Rising book, next month.
The poppy wars was utter bullshyt. It had a spark when I started it, but by the last book, I regretted ever starting this shyt. I fukking hated it starting about halfway through the second book, and can honestly say, I will never give this author another chance to waste my money

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, I have heard good things, but aren’t there like 50+ books? I can’t afford to start liking a series that long, I’d go broke!
41 total but first two book are the only ones that are one story. I finished the first three and now I'm waiting on the others to come in the mail. I think you can find the American ones with the simple ugly covers for really cheap

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
Just finished LB, and it was fukking great. I know that he definitely relies on pretty standard tropes, but he is good at making you feel shyt. I understand what you are saying, but I can’t imagine how hard it is nowadays to write some new twists and turns, considering that almost everything has been done, and the death, at this point. I will say though, I just finished a new book a couple weeks back, it’s called “The will of the many”, it’s by the same author that wrote the Licanius Trilogy (great depth, but the time travel shyt was a little confusing), James Islington, and this shyt was like a mix between Darrow in the institute, and the glass immortals series, which is another series that I love. Highly recommend!

Maybe I came off too negative, literally LB was a day one cop and calendar marked type shyt. I finished it in 2 days. It was great and the series is great. But the little inconsistencies and the tropes threw me off, especially this
All them guys trusting Lynsander slimy ass ain’t believable,.

But fasho imma check it out, I’m always on the lookout for good books. Especially since TV nowadays is :scust: I just started the expanse first book today trying to see how that serious hits, but idk if I’m ready for a space heavy book so close to LB.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
Maybe I came off too negative, literally LB was a day one cop and calendar marked type shyt. I finished it in 2 days. It was great and the series is great. But the little inconsistencies and the tropes threw me off, especially this
All them guys trusting Lynsander slimy ass ain’t believable,.

But fasho imma check it out, I’m always on the lookout for good books. Especially since TV nowadays is :scust: I just started the expanse first book today trying to see how that serious hits, but idk if I’m ready for a space heavy book so close to LB.
I’m sorry, I thought you meant that you didn’t get to LB, yet, man, I kind of knew early on because the foreshadowing is a little heavy handed, but he still make that shyt a gut punch. Tbh, I HATE spaceship sci-fi, I don’t fukk with it at all, and if i wouldn’t have went with RR if I knew it was space heavy, I’m glad I did, but I stay away from boats and space ships in books as a rule, because that shyt is boring to me. I fukk with Robin Hobbs heavy, but I refuse to go near a whole section of the the royal assassin series because it goes into ships and shyt.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
I'm reading the new MLK book King and Dante Ross' autobiography. I've read books on King since I was 13 and there is information in this I never knew.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Highly recommend this book.
The Myth and Propaganda of Black Buying Power

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got a bunch of books over the last few of weeks:

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit box set by J. R. R. Tolkien
Dune/Dune Messiah/Children Of Dune box set by Frank Herbert
Mort by Terry Pratchett
Sourcery by Terry Pratchett
Thee Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
A Hat Full Of Sky by Terry Pratchett
The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. LeGuin
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy illustrated edition by Douglas Adams
Piercing by Ryu Murakami
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
Blood Meridian, or The Evening Redness In The West by Cormae McCarthy

I need to buy a new bookshelf 😆

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’m a sucker for cheesy romance novels and YA / New Adult novels.

Just read The Deal by Elle Kennedy and I’m working through Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros.

The Deal was good. The premise was flimsy but I was willing to overlook it. The male and female leads were solid characters to me that made it entertaining. I’m not gonna say it did anything revolutionary but it had good execution.

Fourth Wing kinda reminds me of Divergent. This book has a great rating on Goodreads but it’s all over the place. It’s supposed to be new adult with 20 something year old characters but it reads like a young adult novel and they all act like young teenagers.

I had to buy that one (on Audible) because my library has a 20 week wait period on the book. I’m not saying it’s bad but it’s overrated as hell.

Also just finished He Who Fights With Monsters 7 and The Beginning After The End 10 enjoyed both. HWFWM’s protagonist Jason Asano has been wearing on me though.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really thinking about splurging on the Tolkein Folio Society collection or getting the Folio Society Jurassic Park

Edit:
Found a discount code on Reddit and bought the Jurassic Park one

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m a sucker for cheesy romance novels and YA / New Adult novels.

Just read The Deal by Elle Kennedy and I’m working through Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros.

The Deal was good. The premise was flimsy but I was willing to overlook it. The male and female leads were solid characters to me that made it entertaining. I’m not gonna say it did anything revolutionary but it had good execution.

Fourth Wing kinda reminds me of Divergent. This book has a great rating on Goodreads but it’s all over the place. It’s supposed to be new adult with 20 something year old characters but it reads like a young adult novel and they all act like young teenagers.

I had to buy that one (on Audible) because my library has a 20 week wait period on the book. I’m not saying it’s bad but it’s overrated as hell.

Also just finished He Who Fights With Monsters 7 and The Beginning After The End 10 enjoyed both. HWFWM’s protagonist Jason Asano has been wearing on me though.
I saw that complaint in some reviews on Goodreads and that turned me off from it.

Last edited: