Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I'm only 7% in The Wisdom of Crowds...

giphy.gif

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
51z3MT9oomL.jpg

Just released today and loaded to my kindle. :blessed: Last of the trilogy. Time to see my favorite characters catch massive Ls.... Again. :wow:

:mjcry:

Finally wrapped this up...

giphy.gif

I knew my guy King Orso wasn't going to survive the series but the way that shyt happened got me heated. Never thought I'd feel this way but Bayaz can have all of the Union if that fakkit Leo dan Brock is gonna be in power, I don't care if Savine got his bytch ass neutered.

The reveal of Glokta being The Weaver had me :ohhh: I never liked the idea of him staying under Bayaz's thumb anyway. I hear it had some fans of the series upset but IMO it makes complete sense why a guy like that wouldn't want to spend the rest of his crippled life calling Bayaz daddy :dame:

Big :salute: on how he takes out Yoru Sulfur.

:yeshrug: at Rikke's vision at he end. fukk the North.

smoove157

Never Ever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Finished reading Project Hail Mary last week. Excellent book. It's by Andy Weir, author of The Martian. I highly recommend it.

51AWMwHe9rL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I loved that book. I gave it a 5/5 rating. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but that whole world was fascinating.

Unfortunately this has been the sentiment all around for this book. He tried to catch lighting in a bottle twice. He should have moved on and created another story that played to his strong suits. For instance, Project Hail Mary. It's clear that Andy Weir is an ex-engineer/scientist of some sort. And he understands that stuff so well that he can make an interesting story from it. The Martian and PHM feel like they could be in the same universe almost, but it's clearly two different stories. Ernest Cline could have come up with another story that was heavily powered by 80's/90's pop culture fanaticism. But he chose to cash in and be lazy. SMH.

just finished Project Hail Mary the other day, great shyt. I really fukked with the Martian as well. Artemis (his 2nd book) wasn't anything spectacular, but doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

Probably gonna hit The Border by Don Winslow now. 3rd book in The Power of the Dog Trilogy.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
just finished Project Hail Mary the other day, great shyt. I really fukked with the Martian as well. Artemis (his 2nd book) wasn't anything spectacular, but doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

Probably gonna hit The Border by Don Winslow now. 3rd book in The Power of the Dog Trilogy.
I thoroughly enjoyed Artemis. I didn't realize it was hated.

I started the Three Body Problem a couple of weeks ago. Got about a quarter of the way in and threw that shyt in the bushes. Some of the most boring and confusing shyt I've ever read.

Ezra

Daps
I thoroughly enjoyed Artemis. I didn't realize it was hated.

I started the Three Body Problem a couple of weeks ago. Got about a quarter of the way in and threw that shyt in the bushes. Some of the most boring and confusing shyt I've ever read.
Artemis wasnt bad. Everyone had super high expectations after The Martian. Artemis fell short, but was still a decent read. Project Hail Mary got back to The Martian level.

Im with you on Three Body Problem. I couldnt finish it. It's really slow, but I want to try again at some point.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Artemis wasnt bad. Everyone had super high expectations after The Martian. Artemis fell short, but was still a decent read. Project Hail Mary got back to The Martian level.

Im with you on Three Body Problem. I couldnt finish it. It's really slow, but I want to try again at some point.
See and that's the thing about expectations. People lean too much into them and then get disappointed for no reason. Artemis was a different kind of story. It had a different feel with some Andy Weirness tossed in. Whereas Project Hail Mary was pretty much The Martian 2.0. Both books have their place and I'm glad he went for a change of pace.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
41s+TzpMCAS.jpg

Audiobook.

Sci-fi novel but set in near future, 2100, so it's not too inconceivable.